Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Paid cycling events…worth it? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253288)

BikerDev 06-11-22 05:49 AM

Paid cycling events…worth it?

How many of you take part in paid cycling events? Do you think they’re worth it or do you not bother with them.

Paul Barnard 06-11-22 05:56 AM

I like to participate in them without paying.

wolfchild 06-11-22 05:59 AM

Why pay a fee to go for a ride, when I can go for a ride for free ??

A350driver 06-11-22 07:59 AM

My little town puts on a triathlon every year, I usually participate as a relay team with two of my kids, one is a swimmer, the other a runner, I just do the bike part. It’s not cheap, I think last year’s entry fee for a relay team was around $275, but they did provide swag bags, a T shirt, towel, etc. they keep score of course and hand out trophies based on age groups, oh, and free food and beer afterwards.

That’s the only pay to ride I do, but I do jump in on some of the other bike only events, I did SAG one of them once as well, that was interesting, I was amazed at how unprepared some of the riders were! I fixed a couple flats because the riders didn’t have a spare tube, (I was given a box of tubes for that very reason!) one had no idea how to change a flat! Then late in the ride I got a phone call from the organizer to go find a lost rider! Somehow she had missed a (well marked!) turn and ended up 10 miles off the course!

After several phone calls I eventually found her, put her bike in the truck and took her back to her hotel. She had no idea where she was! How does that happen in the age of Smart Phones, GPS and Google Maps??

BikerDev 06-11-22 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by A350driver (Post 22537909)
After several phone calls I eventually found her, put her bike in the truck and took her back to her hotel. She had no idea where she was! How does that happen in the age of Smart Phones, GPS and Google Maps??

That’s really interesting A350driver - some buddies and I created an app for cyclists that allows organisers and other participants to track each other in real-time. Just search for Zuvolo if you’re interested. It would have been perfect for the situation you described.

However, I’m not sure it’s something that cyclists really need or want so I guess the reason for my question around whether cyclists are really that interested in participating in events.

Thanks for your reply. 😉

seypat 06-11-22 08:27 AM

i do a few each year.

Bald Paul 06-11-22 08:48 AM

I don't mind paying a fee for a well organized event. Route marking, SAG support, manned and stocked rest stops, and (usually) some type of post event party is great. You get to meet a lot of new people on the rides. Of course, some of them are charity events (I always participate in the local Tour de Paws for the local animal shelter, as we have four rescue mutts.)
I do prefer rides that post the route on RideWithGPS before hand. It allows me to review the route and note when climbs are coming up, and to load the route into my GPS on the bike. I've managed to miss a few pavement markings in the past (my fault.)

Herzlos 06-11-22 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22537842)
Why pay a fee to go for a ride, when I can go for a ride for free ??

Technical/medical support, water/food stops, mashalls, way marking, closed roads, timing, trophies, fun?

I'm more likely to push my limits a bit more on an organised event that when out by myself, and I'm happy to pay a few bucks for the organisers to take care of all the logistics.

Bald Paul 06-11-22 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 22537840)

You must ride with LarrySellerz.

Rolla 06-11-22 09:52 AM

I'll pay if the proceeds go to a charity I support, the route looks interesting, and I get a T-shirt. But I'll only do one or two a year; I'm not a huge fan of the events themselves, or riding with hoards of people.

Koyote 06-11-22 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 22537840)

Shut up, Larry.

:)

SpedFast 06-11-22 10:04 AM

I only read this thread because I wanted Larry's input.

Bmach 06-11-22 10:04 AM

Yes if it supports a charity.

Daniel4 06-11-22 10:19 AM

I used to participate in the annual Becel Ride for Heart which was a charity event in which participants cycle along two of Toronto's highways. They would require both a registration fee and minimum amount of donations from sponsors. It was getting to be too much to raise so much money every year.

Then before the pandemic, I would register and ride with my local bicycle advocacy group to raise awareness for safer streets. But I haven't joined since restrictions had been lifted.

veganbikes 06-11-22 10:28 AM

There is a ride I used to do before COVID and we were trying to fundraise for a small organization and it was awesome, we had a ton of fun and I loved doing it. Maybe some events aren't so worth it but this was always good but it wasn't a traditional event.

Iride01 06-11-22 10:39 AM

Paid cycling events as an active participant or as a spectator?

t2p 06-11-22 10:45 AM

for me - almost anything cycling / cycling related is worth paying for or a donation

BikerDev 06-11-22 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22538048)
Paid cycling events as an active participant or as a spectator?

As an active participant. I didn’t word my question very well. 😉

indyfabz 06-11-22 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by spedfast (Post 22538011)
i only read this thread because i wanted larry's input.

wwld

indyfabz 06-11-22 11:07 AM

Depends. To me, some are. Some aren’t. Poll choices too limited.

Iride01 06-11-22 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by BikerDev (Post 22538054)
As an active participant. I didn’t word my question very well. 😉

I was being a butt. I knew what you meant.

I'd pay to do either. Especially the ones that are for charity or providing for local needs and awareness.

Welcome to BF!

70sSanO 06-11-22 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by BikerDev (Post 22537838)
How many of you take part in paid cycling events? Do you think they’re worth it or do you not bother with them.

Do you mean getting paid to ride in the event?

John

BikerDev 06-11-22 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22538097)
Do you mean getting paid to ride in the event?

John

Apologies John, I meant would you pay to participate in an event?

datlas 06-11-22 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bmach (Post 22538012)
Yes if it supports a charity.

This. Otherwise I don't see much value.

philbob57 06-11-22 11:58 AM

No. I understand that it costs money to arrange and manage a large ride, but organized rides seem like big hassles to me. I'd much rather ride by myself or with the club that's local to me. Besides, we have one car. I see little point in driving to a ride and leaving my W stuck at home. In fact, I see little point in driving to ride, except under special conditions.