Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Gauging interest: Presta Valve Anti-Rattle Decal (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1209812)

dscohen 08-09-20 02:44 PM

Gauging interest: Presta Valve Anti-Rattle Decal

I just recently had a bike built and my mechanic used the old the electrical tape over the Presta Valve trick to prevent the valve from rattling in my carbon clinchers. Though it works, I don't necessarily like the inelegance of it (i.e., electrical tape gooey residue, bunching of the tape, covering of wheel graphics).

To this end, I frequently work with a Paint Protection Film team to cover my cars in PPF and I'm thinking about designing a purpose-built decal made from 8.0mil thick ppf that can be cut in either glossy or matte that would take place of the electrical tape solution. It'd have a precut hole for the Presta Valve (obviously slightly smaller than the OD of the valve to prevent rattles) and pull tabs for pulling it tight against the wheel.

I may try to prototype something next week if the team can replicate my design in their plotter software. If anyone would be interested in a pair, please let me know.

GlennR 08-09-20 03:00 PM

Can't someone just cut some helicopter tape and use a hole punch for the vale hole?

AdkMtnMonster 08-09-20 04:32 PM

Would not be interested, unless they were free inside a tube box. If a TL valve is installed your product is not necessary. That’s my gauged interest. ;)

Bah Humbug 08-09-20 04:44 PM

As above, I just can't see many people paying for a special solution to this.

jnesss 08-09-20 07:20 PM

I think my roval clx50's were supposed to come with anti rattle valve stickers, but I never got them. I cut and applied a small piece of xpel. seems to do the trick.

I tried looking for a purchase solution, but didn't have much luck. I'd buy these if roval sold them 🤷🏻‍♂️.

LAJ 08-09-20 07:24 PM

BDop Cycling made a Valvinator at one time, but I don't see it on his site anymore.

It is here... https://www.bikeman.com/CARV-VALVINATOR.html

atwl77 08-09-20 09:00 PM

Or just use the valve nut instead of throwing it away?

znomit 08-10-20 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by atwl77 (Post 21632435)
Or just use the valve nut instead of throwing it away?

Do you know what those nuts weigh? Rotating weight too so times it by Pi^something.

dscohen 08-10-20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21632275)
BDop Cycling made a Valvinator at one time, but I don't see it on his site anymore.

It is here... https://www.bikeman.com/CARV-VALVINATOR.html

Thank you for this! I didn't think anything like this existed. I'll give them a try.

I did go through the trouble of designing my own version in vector graphics format for use on a plotter. I may still have them cut if these end up being out of stock.

topflightpro 08-10-20 08:51 AM

If you buy better quality electrical tape, it won't leave a gooey mess when you pull it off. 3M tape is usually pretty good.

Reflector Guy 08-10-20 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21633019)
If you buy better quality electrical tape, it won't leave a gooey mess when you pull it off. 3M tape is usually pretty good.

Or get a roll of black gaffer tape. No sticky residue, ever. And on carbon wheels it'll be pretty much invisible.

woodcraft 08-10-20 09:55 AM

I think it's a good product idea. Tiny production cost, & folks love spending money on special little bits.

I use liquid electrical tape, which works well but could be described as inelegant.

popeye 08-10-20 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21633184)
I think it's a good product idea. Tiny production cost, & folks love spending money on special little bits.

I use liquid electrical tape, which works well but could be described as inelegant.

I going to describe it as a good idea I'm going to try. Has to be better than a rose thorn I have resorted to in desperation.
Tape can get stuck and tear in the hole especially out on the road just when the last thing I need is another annoyance.

Clipped_in 08-10-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21633019)

Better yet is the clear Gorilla tape. It's a lot like helicopter tape.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fb93966d3d.jpg

Sy Reene 08-10-20 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by dscohen (Post 21631789)
I just recently had a bike built and my mechanic used the old the electrical tape over the Presta Valve trick to prevent the valve from rattling in my carbon clinchers. Though it works, I don't necessarily like the inelegance of it (i.e., electrical tape gooey residue, bunching of the tape, covering of wheel graphics).

Isn't the idea is you just wrap around the valve stem at the base before putting the tube in, so that the electrical tape is in contact with the rim hole, but not make noise because it's soft vinyl (or whatever that stuff is made of)? Sounds like your mechanic made a mess trying to wrap around the stem with a tube that was already installed and inflated (which of course can create a problem when you need to change the tube on the road.

dscohen 08-10-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21634166)
Isn't the idea is you just wrap around the valve stem at the base before putting the tube in, so that the electrical tape is in contact with the rim hole, but not make noise because it's soft vinyl (or whatever that stuff is made of)? Sounds like your mechanic made a mess trying to wrap around the stem with a tube that was already installed and inflated (which of course can create a problem when you need to change the tube on the road.

Hmm...that sounds like that could work as well if there's enough space around the valve stem; however, most of the time I've seen this trick, it's just a piece of electrical tape with a hole poked through the middle that wraps around the rim profile itself.

Andy Somnifac 08-11-20 05:46 AM

Even cheaper and easier: a straw.

Cut it to length, place it over the valve stem, push it down until it's no longer visible, trim with a razor if needed. I found the green ones from Starbucks to be just the right diameter for the valve stem\valve extender combo on my tubular tires. No more rattle.

Amt0571 08-11-20 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by znomit (Post 21632588)
Do you know what those nuts weigh? Rotating weight too so times it by Pi^something.

I'm not sure, but I really hope you're joking.

topflightpro 08-11-20 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21634166)

Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the valve hole size and how much tape you use. It's often just easier to take a piece of tape, poke the stem through and tape to the rim - especially on tubulars.

Sy Reene 08-11-20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21634796)
Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the valve hole size and how much tape you use. It's often just easier to take a piece of tape, poke the stem through and tape to the rim - especially on tubulars.

I suppose. Just a wrap around the stem though (before tube is used), allows you to pre-prep your entire tube inventory if you like though. If your electrical tape is too thick, perhaps teflon tape would suffice.

dscohen 08-13-20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jnesss (Post 21632259)
I think my roval clx50's were supposed to come with anti rattle valve stickers, but I never got them. I cut and applied a small piece of xpel. seems to do the trick.

I tried looking for a purchase solution, but didn't have much luck. I'd buy these if roval sold them 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Found them after I ordered the bdop kit. I ended up ordering these as well to compare...

https://www.amaincycling.com/special...900025/p746342

sdmc530 08-13-20 02:17 PM

I too just do the unthinkable and use the nut...

Buzzkill53120 08-13-20 09:12 PM

You could try shrink tubing around the valve stem.

woodcraft 08-13-20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 21639431)
I too just do the unthinkable and use the nut...

Deeper wheels often need valve extensions, which are not threaded...

Cue 08-14-20 01:00 AM

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/pr...ter-wheel-kit/ This is clear and thick.