Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

WhyFi 03-30-22 06:26 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22455633)
I have some Core tights that I find ďokay.Ē Iím not sure if itís that the pad is too thick or something else. Itís actually stopped me from ordering the bib shorts but I want to give them another chance.

The first time that I popped them on, I did find the thickness of the padding a little odd and not what I was used to, but they've never been anything other than really comfortable on the bike, no matter the ride duration. That said...


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22455633)
I have a couple of pair of Pactimo bibs that are awesome. They normally retail in the 200s but they pretty much always have a sale. Iím generally impressed with the quality of their clothing, my winter jacket and my vest are from them and theyíre perfect.

I'm pretty much with Gene on this one: when it comes to stuff like bibs, shoes, saddles, etc, once you find what works really well for you, I wouldn't feel compelled to poke around the marketplace too much. I mean, I get that there's FOMO, and I have a very mild case of that w/r/t Assos, but I wouldn't bother unless it was a screaming deal or it offered something else unique (though I'll pass on the KuKu's penthouse).

WhyFi 03-30-22 06:28 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22455703)
What is bad is having to go out in 25 degrees get on the trainer after you thought winter trainer season was over. I couldnít bring myself to do it yesterday.

Fixed it for me.

Mojo31 03-30-22 06:29 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22455718)
One simply does not just dive into 20 degree riding temperature. Itís a slow build, starts usually around October. The seasons starts to change, 70 degree mornings are replaced with 50s sometimes 40s. As the days grow shorter the temperature starts lower and lower. Soon 35 degrees feels like 70 degrees and 20 degrees doesnít feel so bad. You canít go from 60 to 20. Not natural. isnít right, isnít fair, isnít pleasant, wonít do it.


My head is so far out of the game this week. All I want to do is ride my bike, but the second I get on my bike I want to get off my bike. Itís a vicious cycle with no happy ending.

The pain in my lower back/ side came back. So there is that, and I have an over all sense of just tiredness. Maybe Iím finally crashing from that mountain dew I drank when I was 12.

And they say people don't say stupid things. 😉🤣

WhyFi 03-30-22 06:29 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22455705)
I braved the weather yesterday but we're having storm event today.

#trainer

Woke to the pitter patter of rain, and now there's wintery mix of sleet and snow. Yay.

bampilot06 03-30-22 06:30 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455724)
Fixed it for me.


Wifeís bike is on the trainer now, which is in our bedroom. Effort required to swap bikes to then do something I really donít want to do, is more than what I have to offer.

bampilot06 03-30-22 06:31 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22455727)
And they say people don't say stupid things. 😉🤣


Its true! Ride a week straight in 20 degree weather, then ride in 35 degree weather. It feels warm.

bampilot06 03-30-22 06:34 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455721)
The first time that I popped them on, I did find the thickness of the padding a little odd and not what I was used to, but they've never been anything other than really comfortable on the bike, no matter the ride duration. That said...



I'm pretty much with Gene on this one: when it comes to stuff like bibs, shoes, saddles, etc, once you find what works really well for you, I wouldn't feel compelled to poke around the marketplace too much. I mean, I get that there's FOMO, and I have a very mild case of that w/r/t Assos, but I wouldn't bother unless it was a screaming deal or it offered something else unique (though I'll pass on the KuKu's penthouse).


Louis G works fine for me.

LesterOfPuppets 03-30-22 07:12 AM

Brutal.

Wordle 284 6/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LAJ 03-30-22 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22455733)
Its true! Ride a week straight in 20 degree weather, then ride in 35 degree weather. It feels warm.

Yep

WhyFi 03-30-22 07:28 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22455736)
Louis G works fine for me.

See, "fine" would compel me to keep looking. If, after trying multiple examples of highly regarded bibs, I still hadn't found anything better than fine, I guess I'd be content, but I couldn't just settle at fine without exploring more.

LAJ 03-30-22 07:32 AM

My first word is always the same, and my second is a variation of this answer based on the consonants hit or missed on the first. Of course, a little luck never hurts either.

Wordle 284 2/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-30-22 07:34 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455795)
See, "fine" would compel me to keep looking. If, after trying multiple examples of highly regarded bibs, I still hadn't found anything better than fine, I guess I'd be content, but I couldn't just settle at fine without exploring more.

How many times have you said when you saw your wife, to yourself or otherwise, "She looks so fine!"

If you have, you've settled for fine. :D

WhyFi 03-30-22 07:41 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22455804)
How many times have you said when you saw your wife, to yourself or otherwise, "She looks so fine!"

If you have, you've settled for fine. :D

I see that the Oscar's have taught Mojo nothing. :notamused:

phrantic09 03-30-22 07:49 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455721)
The first time that I popped them on, I did find the thickness of the padding a little odd and not what I was used to, but they've never been anything other than really comfortable on the bike, no matter the ride duration. That said...



I'm pretty much with Gene on this one: when it comes to stuff like bibs, shoes, saddles, etc, once you find what works really well for you, I wouldn't feel compelled to poke around the marketplace too much. I mean, I get that there's FOMO, and I have a very mild case of that w/r/t Assos, but I wouldn't bother unless it was a screaming deal or it offered something else unique (though I'll pass on the KuKu's penthouse).

For years I rode on cheapo LG bibs and never knew the difference- most are my ďtrainer bibĒ now. With shoes, bibs, etc, I generally donít notice a difference if itís under 4 hours. The Pactimo bibs are really comfortable on the upper, as are the Rapha. I have some Gore tights that chafe my nips but are otherwise great. Iíll probably pick up a core bundle since I need some jerseys anyway


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22455733)
Its true! Ride a week straight in 20 degree weather, then ride in 35 degree weather. It feels warm.

totally- I refused this morning even though I was going out at 11 degrees earlier this winter.

DougRNS 03-30-22 07:49 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22455468)
Once you get adjusted you need to eat a consistent amount on Vitamin K-rich foods. I’ve been on the stuff since 1990 and I eat plenty off leafy vegetables. Never experienced lightheadedness. Don’t be fooled by the myth that it makes your blood less viscous (I.e. thinner).

How often are you going to get your INR checked?

I just started Monday so I get my first test on Saturday. Then every 5 days for maybe a month then I think monthly. My problem was related to another issue not Coumadin.
I've been on another anti clotting medication since Jan 23, 2021.
I think for me it will be easier to avoid all high vitamin K foods rather than try to keep track of what I eat. My life is way to effing complicated now for that BS.

Mojo31 03-30-22 08:06 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455811)
I see that the Oscar's have taught Mojo nothing. :notamused:

I don't watch the Oscars or hit people.

I do look at my wife and say to myself that she "looks so fine" quite often. Frequently to her as well. I expect most men who are happily married do much the same.

I was not making a joke at your wife's expense.

indyfabz 03-30-22 08:13 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22455827)
I just started Monday so I get my first test on Saturday. Then every 5 days for maybe a month then I think monthly. My problem was related to another issue not Coumadin.
I've been on another anti clotting medication since Jan 23, 2021.
I think for me it will be easier to avoid all high vitamin K foods rather than try to keep track of what I eat. My life is way to effing complicated now for that BS.

Are you testing at home? I tried that for a while but did not like it. Didn't like getting a phone call if I was late a day or two because I was on vacation. (Wasn't going to tote the testing stuff along on a bike tour.) What I really didn't like is that for insurance to cover it I had to do test a minimum of 2x/month. I was so regular at the time I only needed 1x/month. Having to do it 2x/month killed any cost savings there might have been. Not sure there was any to begin with.

Then after I cancelled they sent me a $260 bill for the testing machine even though I had returned it pursuant to their instructions. Turned out it was sitting in their warehouse in CA.

WhyFi 03-30-22 08:27 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22455847)
I don't watch the Oscars or hit people.

I do look at my wife and say to myself that she "looks so fine" quite often. Frequently to her as well. I expect most men who are happily married do much the same.

I was not making a joke at your wife's expense.

I was joking, bro.

ls01 03-30-22 08:31 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22455703)
25 isnít bad. The initial brain freeze sucks but after 5 mins that goes away.

What is bad is having to go out in 25 degrees after you thought winter was over. I couldnít bring myself to do it yesterday.

'zacly! I had 4 nice rides outside already, I refuse to take a step backwards. Ain't gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent, not at this juncture.

ls01 03-30-22 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22455727)
And they say people don't say stupid things. 😉🤣

He's gone numb between his ears from all the cold weather riding. Brain freez is turble thing...

LesterOfPuppets 03-30-22 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22455635)
When I was a kid weíd always camp on the St. Lawrence in the spring and see these boats in action

I kinda miss seeing big boats; we don't get much of that in AZ :)

Anyways, I guess we're about due for a map of the day

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8sVeW6U...name=4096x4096

rjones28 03-30-22 08:45 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455811)
I see that the Oscar's have taught Mojo nothing. :notamused:

Violence is the answer. That was the lesson, right?

Mojo31 03-30-22 08:47 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455873)
I was joking, bro.

:thumb:

ls01 03-30-22 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22455718)
One simply does not just dive into 20 degree riding temperature. Itís a slow build, starts usually around October. The seasons starts to change, 70 degree mornings are replaced with 50s sometimes 40s. As the days grow shorter the temperature starts lower and lower. Soon 35 degrees feels like 70 degrees and 20 degrees doesnít feel so bad. You canít go from 60 to 20. Not natural. isnít right, isnít fair, isnít pleasant, wonít do it.


My head is so far out of the game this week. All I want to do is ride my bike, but the second I get on my bike I want to get off my bike. Itís a vicious cycle with no happy ending.

The pain in my lower back/ side came back. So there is that, and I have an over all sense of just tiredness. Maybe Iím finally crashing from that mountain dew I drank when I was 12.

I get something similar in my low back,right hip. It used to be way worse. I started doing different stretches and narrowed it down to my hamstrings. I just do normal, bend at the waist stretches now. I get an occasional flair up. But stretching all but eliminates it. I get the pain from overdoing the hard efforts on the bike. Like berserker hard effort type things. I was seeing a Dr. And a Chiropracter for a while. Both thought it was Siatica. One winter I started doing planks, push-ups, and sit ups, followed by some different stretches. I found by process of elimination that the "bend over touch your toes" stretch, 3 or 4 times a day , a couple minutes at a time basicly cured me. Now I just do it in the shower in the morning.

Mojo31 03-30-22 08:50 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22455894)
Violence is the answer. That was the lesson, right?

The lesson I learned long ago is that if I were to hit someone it would hurt me more than them. Would probably break bones in my hand or something while they would just walk away laughing. #notmanlyenoughtofight

rjones28 03-30-22 08:52 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22455898)
The lesson I learned long ago is that if I were to hit someone it would hurt me more than them. Would probably break bones in my hand or something while they would just walk away laughing. #notmanlyenoughtofight

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8133ea58ba.png

Mojo31 03-30-22 08:54 AM

I get left side hip pain when I go through periods of inactivity. It's my understanding that it has to do with the muscles in the upper leg tightening because I am at a desk a lot, but I don't know the physiology. I found hiking helped a lot before I got into the road bike thing, and cycling helps a lot as well.

LesterOfPuppets 03-30-22 08:58 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455390)
I've been itching to get in a ride around/through Lake Minnetonka. Maybe I'll have the weather this weekend.

The big boats on Superior are fun. IIRC, you should be able to access the live feed of the camera at the Maritime Visitor Center at Canal Park in Duluth, right next to the lift bridge. Before my FIL passed, when we'd visit, we'd sometimes call him and have him patch in while the kids waved.

Duluth Harbor is looking nice this morning!

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...lQ&oe=62499B98

bampilot06 03-30-22 09:03 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22455897)
I get something similar in my low back,right hip. It used to be way worse. I started doing different stretches and narrowed it down to my hamstrings. I just do normal, bend at the waist stretches now. I get an occasional flair up. But stretching all but eliminates it. I get the pain from overdoing the hard efforts on the bike. Like berserker hard effort type things. I was seeing a Dr. And a Chiropracter for a while. Both thought it was Siatica. One winter I started doing planks, push-ups, and sit ups, followed by some different stretches. I found by process of elimination that the "bend over touch your toes" stretch, 3 or 4 times a day , a couple minutes at a time basicly cured me. Now I just do it in the shower in the mornjng.


Iím not sure what to make of it. One time it started in the middle of a trip the other time it started while I was home. It does not feel muscle related, and I am still thinking itís kidneys maybe, but my doctor did rule that out for now. I think I donít drink enough water especially when I am home for the amount that I excercise and maybe that is what is causing the discomfort. Im trying to drink more water at work too. The flair up isnít worse than before but itís not better.
The pain is about 3 inches above my right butt cheek and then wraps around to my side. Lasted about 5 days last time if it last longer than I will go back to the doctor.

Mojo31 03-30-22 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22455906)
Duluth Harbor is looking nice this morning!

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...lQ&oe=62499B98

Tanning weather.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.