Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Baseline fitness of active cyclists. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1237224)

Daniel4 08-23-21 11:44 AM

Does it matter? As long as you can move your legs and keep balance for at least several cycles of the pedal, you're good to go.

How do you think kids start riding before some of them turn it into a lifelong hobby?

And the same for adult newbies trying to get back into shape.

Milton Keynes 08-23-21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 22196747)
If OP is averaging 5 minutes per ride, he's probably not even using a real bike = gym rat.

I'm just getting warmed up at 5 minutes into my ride. Probably just around a mile & a half into my ride.

My everyday morning rides last around 45 minutes. No idea how many pushups or squats I can do. Don't know, don't care. What really matters is that I can lift heavy objects when I need to, which is often. And also what really matters is that my fitness level has improved greatly over where I was about 6 years ago. Back then I probably couldn't run more than 50 feet before getting winded. Now after years of cycling and losing weight I surprise myself with how easy running can be.

I just don't count pushups or squats as a necessary indicator of my fitness.

But even though my average ride is 45 minutes long, I've gone on rides a lot longer than that. I prefer to gauge my rides in miles, not minutes. I've done two century rides, several metric centuries, and dozens of half century rides. I'd say I'm in pretty good shape.

shelbyfv 08-23-21 11:58 AM

If the OP's average ride is 5 minutes, or even 5 miles, I can guarantee that nobody here gives a squat about what he thinks.:twitchy:

AlmostTrick 08-23-21 12:03 PM

All this "push ups don't matter" is silly. Anyone who is in good shape can do plenty. (whether they care or not) Same with squats. Would you say someone who didn't have the stamina to ride a bike for more than a few minutes or miles had a good "baseline fitness"? Of course not.

1. 25
2. Over 100
3. One hour.

Broctoon 08-23-21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22196567)
Click on the giant arrow in the center of the giant photo

The computer I'm on does not display that photo. Blocked by a firewall or something. If I decide I want see what an air squat is, I'll get on another connection later and look into it.

base2 08-23-21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22196570)
No one cares what you think.
Post the 2 numbers.

:roflmao:

Milton Keynes 08-23-21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 22196912)
All this "push ups don't matter" is silly. Anyone who is in good shape can do plenty. (whether they care or not) Same with squats. Would you say someone who didn't have the stamina to ride a bike for more than a few minutes or miles had a good "baseline fitness"? Of course not.

It really doesn't take a lot of effort to turn the handlebars, so someone who rides a bike may not necessarily be good at doing pushups. Squats, I'll give that to you, since anyone who's built up their leg muscles from riding ought to be sble to do squats.

But the bottom line is that I really don't care to do pushups or squats. Don't know how many I can do, don't really care. All i know is that cycling is much better for me than sitting on the couch.

Ironfish653 08-23-21 03:34 PM

It’s a dumb question, because only the air squats have a peripheral relationship to cycling, but I’ll play along.

Pushup: 5 x10. I have a fully separated shoulder, so any more than 10 in a row gets my arm out of alignment

Squats: 5x15, usually either goblet or with a DB front raise for improved balance and lower leg alignment.

Avg bike ride between 15-30 miles (1-2 hours depending on conditions)

General fitness is a good thing, but a lot of what makes you ‘gym fit’ doesn’t have much bearing on how ‘good’ a cyclist you are.
There are also many different disciplines within cycling that play on different strength or skill sets, so even a ‘good’ cyclist might be bad at events outside of their circle.

coffeesnob 08-23-21 03:52 PM

you may as well throw some lunges in there. How many can the op do?

tempocyclist 08-23-21 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22196317)
3. 5 mins.

Do you even cycle, bro?

:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 22196770)
You forgot to ask how fast we can run a 100-yard dash, and how many free-throws we can shoot.

Do I need to hit the free throws consecutively after running a 100 yard dash first? Just want to get this right...​​​​​

livedarklions 08-23-21 04:29 PM

You're the guy who can't cycle more than a few minutes, right?

My advice to you is to stop creating asinine threads and ride more.

So.my answers are
1) What's it to you?
2) None of your business.
3) A whole lot longer than yours.

I really think a general cycling forum is for discussions between people who actually, y'know, cycle.

tomato coupe 08-23-21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22196570)
No one cares what you think.
Post the 2 numbers.

Yo, genius. There are 3 numbers in the list.

Barry2 08-23-21 05:28 PM

1. Don't give a rats _ _ _
2. Don't give a rats _ _ _
3. Bhahahahah a LOT longer than 5mins..... think 20-50miles and several hours.

wolfchild 08-23-21 06:32 PM

:popcorn

rosefarts 08-23-21 09:23 PM

You’re doing it wrong.

100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 squats
and a 10k run (I think a 50 mile ride would count too)

Every day until your hair falls out.

Proven results.

CheGiantForLife 08-24-21 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 22196912)

1. 25
2. Over 100
3. One hour.

Wow!

We can do the same number of pushups
but a cyclist can do twice the squats as I can.

Thank you for participating !

CheGiantForLife 08-24-21 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by CyclesNWeights7 (Post 22196851)
Push-ups - topped out at 80 a couple years ago. Could probably still get 60 without too much trouble

Squats - 60+, I guarantee I would break at the top for air or composure after that.

Cycling - Time constraints keep me to an average of 10-12 miles a day, with high intensity intervals thrown in. Which is nothing compared to some of you, but I’m only trying to better myself each week, not compete against everyone

No estimates please.
Please do the experiment and post your 2 numbers.
I bet they will not be what you estimated.

No way you can do more pushups than squats.

shelbyfv 08-24-21 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22197987)
Thank you for participating !

Serious question. Why are you posting so much on a cycling forum? Do you own a bike?:foo:

GhostRider62 08-24-21 05:03 AM

First time I did a pushup in 3 years, pretty pathetic.

1. 21
2. over 100 squats (I got very bored and just stopped)
3. A little over 2 hours (one day off per week)

So, what is the point, Mr. Pin?

PeteHski 08-24-21 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22197990)

Today, I decided to go for a ride and just see how long I could stay comfortable

Mostly flat. I was pedaling for most of it. Very little coasting.
4.5 miles
23 mins
11 mph

I noticed my sperm tubes area was getting uncomfortable towards the end, and I was shifting around in my seat.

I think a decent goal is to get to 1 hour.

From your post above in another thread, I would suggest that your "baseline fitness" is not actually very impressive. You would easily beat me on the number of push-ups you can do, but on the bike you have a very, very long way to go. My longest non-stop ride this year was 100 miles with 13,000 ft of vertical elevation, which took around 8 hours (with only 4 mins of stopping time to re-fill bottles). Plenty of guys were considerably faster as I'm not the best climber in the world at 175 lbs. Your best effort above would not even count as a recovery spin for me or any other half reasonable cyclist.

GhostRider62 08-24-21 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22198010)
From your post above in another thread, I would suggest that your "baseline fitness" is not actually very impressive. You would easily beat me on the number of push-ups you can do, but on the bike you have a very, very long way to go. My longest non-stop ride this year was 100 miles with 13,000 ft of vertical elevation, which took around 8 hours (with only 4 mins of stopping time to re-fill bottles). Plenty of guys were considerably faster as I'm not the best climber in the world at 175 lbs. Your best effort above would not even count as a recovery spin for me or any other half reasonable cyclist.

I did 1218 km nonstop.

Let's see if a RAAM rider chirps and says they did 2000km.

OP needs some work to just get off the runway. SR71 speed check......

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/sr-7...d-speed-check/

PeteHski 08-24-21 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 (Post 22198013)
I did 1218 km nonstop.

So no stopping, no breaks, no sleep for 1218 km?

GhostRider62 08-24-21 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22198014)
So no stopping, no breaks, no sleep for 1218 km?

I **** once, got my control card punched and ate twice.

I think it is impossible to ride nonstop in the manner that you pose the question. Watch a few record attempts, they stop, my little Cessna 152.

PeteHski 08-24-21 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 (Post 22198042)
I **** once, got my control card punched and ate twice.

I think it is impossible to ride nonstop in the manner that you pose the question. Watch a few record attempts, they stop, my little Cessna 152.

I thought the OP was interested in how far/long we can ride literally non-stop. Not how long we can ride over multiple days, which is obviously a whole different thing.

seypat 08-24-21 06:27 AM

Baseline fitness is only important in court sports. ;)