Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Baseline fitness of active cyclists. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1237224)

notmyke 09-05-21 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kat12 (Post 22216123)
Or, the cheating type you see lots of places where the total movement of the body is about four to six inches... and then they crow about how many pushups they can do and how fast.

Exactly the point I was getting at; any reasonably fit person can crank out 100 push-ups if a "push-up" is a lot of head-bobbing and marginal bending of the elbows. "How many pushups can you do?" in almost all cases is a measure of ego-gratification needs more than strength or fitness. 🙄

CheGiantForLife 09-10-21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by notmyke (Post 22216213)
Exactly the point I was getting at; any reasonably fit person can crank out 100 push-ups if a "push-up" is a lot of head-bobbing and marginal bending of the elbows. "How many pushups can you do?" in almost all cases is a measure of ego-gratification needs more than strength or fitness. 🙄

How many pushups did you do ?

notmyke 09-11-21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22224747)

Like I said, "How many pushups can you do?" in almost all cases is a measure of ego-gratification needs more than strength or fitness.
I graduated beyond that in my development.

CheGiantForLife 09-12-21 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by notmyke (Post 22226005)
Like I said, "How many pushups can you do?" in almost all cases is a measure of ego-gratification needs more than strength or fitness.
I graduated beyond that in my development.

Please stop trolling this thread like a child throwing a tantrum
If you don't like the topic please excuse yourself.

To all others, how many pushups did you do ?

Trakhak 09-12-21 08:15 AM

As usual, the three measurements the OP is demanding are proxies for what's really being compared:

1. Length
2. Girth

shelbyfv 09-12-21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22226413)
Please stop trolling....

Yes, please.:roflmao:

wolfchild 09-12-21 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22226413)

To all others, how many pushups did you do ?

How many kettlebell snatches can you do with a 70 pound kettlebell ??

pdlamb 09-13-21 08:08 AM

What is the maximum airspeed velocity of a common swallow in level flight?

pdlamb 09-13-21 08:09 AM

What is the maximum airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow in level flight?

Carbonfiberboy 09-13-21 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22224747)

Yeah, that was real important in HS gym. Turned out that the skinnier one was, the more pushups one could do. Some skinny kids could do 70. 25 was good for me. I was terrible at ball sports, so no one noticed that I could put the shot further than the captain of the basketball team. I weighed maybe 132, but my older brother taught me the skill plus I was already a cyclist and had been running a daily mile since I was 12. This all reminds me so much of those days. Our PT instructor was also a history teacher. :notamused:. How it was back then.

Watts/kg is a pretty good measure of cycling fitness. Another good one is ET for a hilly 400k. My wife and I just got back from a 10-day unsupported backpack in the Cascades. We've been doing those once/year for 48 years. I'm tired, so it'll be daily 30' recovery spins on the rollers for a week. Just baseline fitness . . .

notmyke 09-13-21 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 22226475)
As usual, the three measurements the OP is demanding are proxies for what's really being compared:
1. Length
2. Girth

...and typically with an inverse relationship.

caloso 09-13-21 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 22227721)
What is the maximum airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow in level flight?

African or European?

CheGiantForLife 09-13-21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22227108)
How many kettlebell snatches can you do with a 70 pound kettlebell ??

Great question. I actually use a 70 lb KB when I went to the gym.
I would do 3x20 with 70lbs. 2 handed swings. Really miss it.
I plan to rejoin the gym this winter. What KB's do u like ?