Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Freehub Removal troubles (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1257149)

CrimsonEclipse 08-19-22 02:24 PM

Freehub Removal troubles

Freehub removal troubles

I an trying to remove a freehub from a 20" wheel.
It's from a 2015-7 Dahon Mariner so it's a 7 speed.

I purchased a 11mm and 12mm alen keys and neither fit perfectly.

But the big problem is it won't break loose.
Yes I'm turning counter clockwise...
But I'm using so much torque that I've already bent 2 cheater bars.

The hex portion of the free hub is about 3/4-to an inch deep instead of at the surface.

I see no other grip or tool type to remove this freehub

cxwrench 08-19-22 02:45 PM

Did you ever think it might be a good idea to include photos?

MudPie 08-19-22 03:15 PM

Do you know who makes the hub?

CrimsonEclipse 08-19-22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22616108)
Did you ever think it might be a good idea to include photos?

You ever try to NOT be passive aggressive?

CrimsonEclipse 08-19-22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MudPie (Post 22616139)
Do you know who makes the hub?

Honestly not sure, there is no numbers or writing on the hub

jccaclimber 08-19-22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22616261)

I’ll be more direct, that was an apparently overly subtle way of saying “Most of us don’t know what the inside of your less than common part looks like. Why don’t you upload a nice clear picture for us? Often when people do that we very quickly spot the problem, and are able to suggest a solution.”

CrimsonEclipse 08-19-22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by jccaclimber (Post 22616278)
I’ll be more direct, that was an apparently overly subtle way of saying “Most of us don’t know what the inside of your less than common part looks like. Why don’t you upload a nice clear picture for us? Often when people do that we very quickly spot the problem, and are able to suggest a solution.”

No problem!
A bit of an oversight on my part.

Edit: the 12mm will fit, now i need a way to apply massive amounts of torque

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...57d4b5c13f.jpg

jccaclimber 08-19-22 07:12 PM

The focal plane isn’t exactly in the right spot, but it certainly looks like a hex. When you say the 12 mm doesn’t fit perfectly, is it loose, or does it not go in?

Rolla 08-19-22 08:01 PM

First I would make extra sure that 12mm is the right size. Then try securing the correct allen wrench in a bench vise and lowering the freehub onto it. Grab the wheel in both hands and "drive the bus," turning the wheel counterclockwise. This works well with 700c wheels; hopefully the 20" wheel will give you enough leverage.

veganbikes 08-19-22 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22616261)

Not posting information is never helpful, if you need pictures you should post pictures if you need to tell us what you have tell us what you have. We see this too often with new members but with old members it just doesn't make sense. Sure sometimes cxwrench might seem a little brash but it is a forum on the internet you gotta have enough skin to handle people being honest even if it feels more on the negative side text really doesn't have emotion.

byscott 08-19-22 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22616420)
First I would make extra sure that 12mm is the right size. Then try securing the correct allen wrench in a bench vise and lowering the freehub onto it. Grab the wheel in both hands and "drive the bus," turning the wheel counterclockwise. This works well with 700c wheels; hopefully the 20" wheel will give you enough leverage.

^^^This. This is the only way I have removed freehubs since, I dunno, forever. With the Allen wrench in a vise and the free hub pointing up, turn the wheel toward you to tighten, away from you to loosen (opposite if the freehub is pointing down — I prefer the freehub pointing up as it’s easier to see the freehub coming loose).

If the hub isn’t on a wheel, get hold of a trashed rim and a half dozen spokes. Lace the hub onto the junk rim and proceed as above.

CrimsonEclipse 08-19-22 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by jccaclimber (Post 22616384)
The focal plane isn’t exactly in the right spot, but it certainly looks like a hex. When you say the 12 mm doesn’t fit perfectly, is it loose, or does it not go in?

I finally did get a 12mm to fit.
Yeah, my photography skills aren't exactly great.

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22616420)

That's the delay right now. I do not have access to a vice. I may have a friend hold the wheel while I get a large breaker bar.

Well, at least I know that I have the right idea, I just need more gorilla torque on this thing.

Thanks folks.

Rolla 08-20-22 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 22616428)
text really doesn't have emotion.

Maybe not, but with a modicum of effort, text can convey emotion exceedingly well. Whether spoken or written, that's one of the principal functions of language.

StanSeven 08-20-22 10:57 AM

I cleaned up the thread. Let’s stop with the personal attacks.

dedhed 08-20-22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22616525)
I finally did get a 12mm to fit.
Yeah, my photography skills aren't exactly great.

That's the delay right now. I do not have access to a vice. I may have a friend hold the wheel while I get a large breaker bar.

Well, at least I know that I have the right idea, I just need more gorilla torque on this thing.

Thanks folks.

A length of 3/4" pipe will fit over a 12mm allen.

cxwrench 08-20-22 02:43 PM

In lieu of a vice you can put the wheel against a wall, standing, and use the wrench/pipe in the direction that would roll the wheel into the wall. I do this all the time if someone is using the vice and I need to undo a lockring.

ThermionicScott 08-20-22 02:48 PM

If you bought a cheap bench vise and mounted it to a long board, you could sit on one end of the board to twist off the freehub body... :thumb:

sweeks 08-20-22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22616525)
I do not have access to a vice.

I recommend trying to stay away from vice. :innocent:
The "driving the bus" method can be very effective though.

noglider 08-20-22 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by sweeks (Post 22617140)
I recommend trying to stay away from vice. :innocent:
The "driving the bus" method can be very effective though.

:lol:
Americans spell it "vise," while in other countries, it's "vice." I have no idea why.

jccaclimber 08-20-22 06:22 PM

As above, a 4’ to 6’ piece of black or galvanized pipe in the correct diameter makes a nice breaker bar.

CrimsonEclipse 08-20-22 06:22 PM

Alright, an update.
I took the damn thing to a bike shop, put a 12mm into a vice, and tried to turn the wheel.
First horizontally, then vertically, with two fully grown men , one of them (me) channeling my extended annoyance, at the same time while the 12mm allen key was flexing the better part of 45 degrees.

Any more pressure and the allen key might have failed spectacularly and dangerously.

So, as much as I would like to give up, I'm not.
One of my friends likely has a 12mm socket and an impact wrench.
After that, I'm thinking blowtorch.
After that, thermite.

Maybe a tactical nuclear strike.

JoeTBM 08-20-22 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22617291)
Alright, an update.
.....snip
After that, thermite.

MudPie 08-20-22 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22617291)
Alright, an update.
I took the damn thing to a bike shop, put a 12mm into a vice, and tried to turn the wheel.
First horizontally, then vertically, with two fully grown men , one of them (me) channeling my extended annoyance, at the same time while the 12mm allen key was flexing the better part of 45 degrees.

Any more pressure and the allen key might have failed spectacularly and dangerously.

After that, thermite.

A socket with 12mm hex bit is the way to go here.
Assuming you get it off, be sure to apply anti-seize or grease to the threads. The freehub fixing bolt need not be installed with gorilla strength.

jccaclimber 08-21-22 01:01 AM

Makes me wonder if the manufacturer felt the need to reverse thread it.

sweeks 08-21-22 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 22617284)
:lol:
Americans spell it "vise," while in other countries, it's "vice." I have no idea why.

Yes, my vise is in the workshop and my vice is in the liquor cabinet! :D