Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Chains (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238209)

SethL 09-06-21 12:51 PM

Chains

In picking out a new chain for a 10 spd road bike, are they all the same? It looks like the ultegra is in the middle of the road price-wise and is rated good for quality but there is such a range of prices, ect it gets confusing. Also with ease of install, is master link better than the pin system?

dennis336 09-06-21 01:00 PM

I've been using KMC chains the past few years and they've been fine. They have a master link which I much prefer over the pin for ease of installation (I carry some master links with me when I ride, too, although I've never had occasion to use one). Others may disagree on Shimano, but if there was a big price difference between Ultegra and 105 chains, I'd likely just go with the 105.

cxwrench 09-06-21 01:38 PM

The Shimano 10 speed road chain is labeled 'Dura Ace/Ultegra/105' so there's only one chain for all of them. I've installed a ton of chains that use the pin so it's not a big deal. I think that the link is a bit easier. I think for 10 speed you can use pretty much anything and it'll shift fine.

Iride01 09-06-21 01:46 PM

Just get a 10 speed chain for your 10 speed bike. As long as you buy one of the popular and recognized brands for bicycle chains, then you'll probably have good results. Might even have good results with a cheap-o chain or fake name brand chain from un-known sellers on some sites that simply give sellers a place to list their products.

But less risk from name brands purchased from someplace that you can trust.

Though a month or so ago I was finding 10 speed chains a little scarce in inventory, but not as scarce as 11 speed chains.

Troul 09-06-21 03:53 PM

be glad you're not in need of a 12sp chain. $50+ for a chain... fml.

cxwrench 09-06-21 04:45 PM

You can get a SRAM 12 speed Eagle chain for under $30.00...or you can spend $90.00.

Troul 09-08-21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22218064)
You can get a SRAM 12 speed Eagle chain for under $30.00...or you can spend $90.00.

30? Shipped?

pipeliner 09-10-21 09:40 AM

I needed an 11 speed chain for my gravel rig in a hurry last month, ended up paying $80 for a KMC on Amazon. Unreal.

ThermionicScott 09-10-21 10:35 AM

Hopefully, people are learning a lesson about having the "next" consumable part on hand BEFORE they need it... next chain, next tire, next tube, next cassette, etc. ;)

Phil_gretz 09-10-21 11:19 AM

^ there's no reason not to have a spare chain waiting, unless of course you have a spare bike waiting instead.

Kapusta 09-10-21 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22224141)
Hopefully, people are learning a lesson about having the "next" consumable part on hand BEFORE they need it... next chain, next tire, next tube, next cassette, etc. ;)

I have wasted far more money buying extra consumables that I ended up not needing than I will ever lose through price gouging during shortages.

ThermionicScott 09-10-21 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 22224283)
I have wasted far more money buying extra consumables that I ended up not needing than I will ever lose through price gouging during shortages.

Fair point; I may not get my money's worth out of some spares, either. Story of many of my hobbies, really. :)

I think it's largely a judgment call. If you don't think you'll need a specific part for a specific bike within a year, it can probably wait. It's nice having some things on hand, so I don't have to wait if a tire gets cut or a brake pad announces its end with a new screech, though.

CliffordK 09-10-21 01:19 PM

Lots of differences in chains. Whether they mean a whole heap is another question.

I've been experimenting with Wippermann Connex SX chains. The plates won't rust, although I think the pins may still rust.

Bike-Discount.de has some of the more competitive prices, although I think you have to pay for shipping

:foo: maybe available in 6 weeks? :foo:

Sy Reene 09-10-21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22224141)

Everybody has. That's why there's a shortage of supply and prices are cranking up.

livedarklions 09-10-21 02:37 PM

ThermionicScott 09-10-21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22224514)
Everybody has. That's why there's a shortage of supply and prices are cranking up.

The shortage triggered a run on parts which didn't help, that's for sure.

Panic-buying armfuls of spare parts is *not* what I was suggesting.

Troul 09-10-21 02:49 PM

I think anything 12sp was overpriced & low supply before the supply chain issue..

CliffordK 09-10-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 22224226)
^ there's no reason not to have a spare chain waiting, unless of course you have a spare bike waiting instead.

I like to have spares of consumables. But, it may really depend on the mileage. A couple of years ago I was going through at least 2 chains a year. Recently my mileage has crashed enough that I'm over a year out on the last chain (but have to catch up with maintenance on some bikes).

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22224514)

I was pretty well stocked before the COVID crisis, so I'm not contributing to this mess. But, yes, there is the TP stampede problem. :eek: (missed out on that one too).