Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Why no cool image of cyclists in Hollywood? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=930054)

feltboy 01-15-14 11:21 PM

Why no cool image of cyclists in Hollywood?

Hollywood has lots of cool films about surfing and skateboarding and other sports. But for a sport so widely international as cycling there is no good movie that features cyclists. Hollywood only has such gems as 'Rad'. Hasn't there been a cool movie yet made about cycling? Premium Rush I think is the only one.

RacerOne 01-16-14 12:50 AM

Breaking Away, American Flyers.

caloso 01-16-14 12:53 AM

A Sunday in Hell.
Stars and Water Carriers.

bleui 01-16-14 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by feltboy (Post 16414938)
Hollywood has lots of cool films about surfing and skateboarding and other sports. But for a sport so widely international as cycling there is no good movie that features cyclists. Hollywood only has such gems as 'Rad'. Hasn't there been a cool movie yet made about cycling? Premium Rush I think is the only one.

seek no more, the greatest cycling movie ever about the greatest cyclist ever, is in production http://starseeker.com/2014-movie-rel...g-biopic-2014/
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=359826

Slackerprince 01-16-14 02:05 AM

Yeah, wondering when someone would cash-in on a LA story.
Other than that, the answer to your OP would be that, compared
to surfing and other sexy Cali sports, cycling just isn't sexy in the
way that would sell in Hollywood. That town needs action, like Fast
and Furious, to sell tickets.
As cool as we may think the Tour is, the general movie going public
just wouldn't get it or pay for it.

S

VFerreira 01-16-14 02:27 AM

for a sport so widely international as cycling there is no good [hollywood] movie that features cyclists.

You answered your own question.

Hasn't there been a cool movie yet made about cycling?

Hollywood: Breaking Away and American Flyers.

Go euro, there are a few fantastic movies.

Premium Rush I think is the only one.

C'mon man! I you wanna be a punk be a real one:

VFerreira 01-16-14 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 16415008)
A Sunday in Hell.
Stars and Water Carriers.

Holly shifter, man!

He was asking for hollywood stuff. You are going to kill the kid.

Ice41000 01-16-14 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=359833

Generally speaking, cycling is not considered cool.

Let me put it this way: have you seen what you are wearing while cycling?

canam73 01-16-14 05:12 AM

quicksilver!

canam73 01-16-14 05:20 AM

And ET. The alien was really just an excuse to show some flying bike stuff. And that's like the biggest movie ever.

VFerreira 01-16-14 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ice41000 (Post 16415153)
Generally speaking, cycling is not considered cool.

Let me put it this way: have you seen what you are wearing while cycling?

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

MajorMantra 01-16-14 05:35 AM

Hollywood sports movies invariably suck anyway. And you can guarantee a cycling one would grossly misrepresent the sport or fail to understand its nuances. Just imagine trying to shoehorn in an explanation of how drafting is everything to a bike race - most people can't grasp this fully until they've actually tried it.

stealthbiker 01-16-14 06:42 AM

We have "Breaking Away" which, while certainly featuring cycling was really more of a story about growing up. Also have "American Flyers" which, if nothing else, taught us that trying to push opponents off cliffs in a race is a common tactic. Oh, and Russian cyclists have beards.

I remember, many years ago (late '70's? early '80's) that Dustin Hoffman was going to star in a movie (if I remember correctly) "The Yellow Jersey". Either never was filmed or didn't make it to release. Would love to see some quality cycling movies - but doubt that 5'10", 140# cyclists are going to make it to the top of the cool list anytime soon.

seymour1910 01-16-14 07:13 AM

Paul Rudd did pretty good in "This is 40"

canam73 01-16-14 08:32 AM

I don't see the Flying Scot or what ever about Graeme Obree yet. But there is one.

kc0bbq 01-16-14 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MajorMantra (Post 16415179)
Hollywood sports movies invariably suck anyway.

Miracle would like to have a word with you.

Disney? Making a good movie? Say it ain't so.

Myosmith 01-16-14 12:41 PM

Premium Rush was crap IMHO. I liked Breaking Away and American Fliers, but those were quite a few years back.

Seattle Forrest 01-16-14 12:46 PM

Why doesn't Hollywood agree that shaving your legs and wearing spandex [strike]with your nose in another man's ass[/strike] in a paceline is a cool way to go to starbucks?

Seattle Forrest 01-16-14 12:47 PM

Hollywood sports movies invariably suck anyway. And you can guarantee a cycling one would grossly misrepresent the sport or fail to understand its nuances. Just imagine trying to shoehorn in an explanation of how drafting is everything to a bike race - most people can't grasp this fully until they've actually tried it.

I dunno. Hollywood could probably do a great job explaining to people how carbon fiber asplodes. Think of the special effects budget!

donrhummy 01-16-14 12:57 PM

Joseph Gordon Levitt did one recently about cyclists (bike messengers) that was a bad movie but had some exciting cycling scenes:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1547234/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6

d8168055 01-17-14 01:17 AM

PeeWee's Big Adventure was all about the bike...

vwchad 01-17-14 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by d8168055 (Post 16418057)
PeeWee's Big Adventure was all about the bike...

+1, lol

RPK79 01-17-14 09:46 AM

Let me guess. Movie starts with the "star" riding on their own and then they get discovered by an agent. The agent gets them into the big time where they are unstoppable up until shortly before the "big race" at which point the "evil likely winner" slaps them down. Queue the "big race" where they pull off a close victory! Hurrah for the underdog!

furiousferret 01-17-14 09:54 AM

What gets me isn't the lack of cycling films but the lack of cycling in apocalyptic movies. You see everyone walking, crying about not being able to drive and escaping the zombies / bad guys. Yet no one thinks to use a bike...

RJM 01-17-14 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 16416216)
Why doesn't Hollywood agree that shaving your legs and wearing spandex [strike]with your nose in another man's ass[/strike] in a paceline is a cool way to go to starbucks?

This.

The sport just isn't cool here in the USA. They could make a pretty good comedy about it though. Call in Adam Sandler to do something similar to that golf one he made.