Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Trsnrtr 05-14-20 06:22 AM


Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 21474119)
Before a ride on a hot day, I rate my pre-existing thirst on a level of 1-10, and then take a corresponding number of gulps of water from the sink / hose.

:thumb:

rjones28 05-14-20 06:27 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21473514)
Thats how I plan on teaching my daughter. Trying to get the wife on board with the balance bike, she doesnít think itís necessary.

As I recall, Dad just pushed me down the driveway and let nature take it's course.

rjones28 05-14-20 06:29 AM

Also, my first rides were gravel rides. We lived in a new housing development and the roads weren't finished yet.

bampilot06 05-14-20 06:49 AM

Had a new one this morning. Was approaching a stop sign with a police officer sitting across the intersection. His window was down, and I could see him starring at me. I came to a complete stop, but didnít unclip, just balanced standing up for a second or two then proceeded to start moving forward. As soon as I started to move he turned on his lights. I immediately stopped again, and this time I unclipped and put my foot down. He started shaking his head in a ďyesĒ motion and turned his lights off.
I didnít realize unclipping was law? I came to a stop before I was going to proceed. It was 620 am no traffic at this particular intersection ever. I wonder if he would have chased me down if I didnít unclip?

abshipp 05-14-20 06:55 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21474193)
Had a new one this morning. Was approaching a stop sign with a police officer sitting across the intersection. His window was down, and I could see him starring at me. I came to a complete stop, but didnít unclip, just balanced standing up for a second or two then proceeded to start moving forward. As soon as I started to move he turned on his lights. I immediately stopped again, and this time I unclipped and put my foot down. He started shaking his head in a ďyesĒ motion and turned his lights off.
I didnít realize unclipping was law? I came to a stop before I was going to proceed. It was 620 am no traffic at this particular intersection ever. I wonder if he would have chased me down if I didnít unclip?

Sounds like he's just a jerk.

Lemond1985 05-14-20 06:57 AM

In my state (CA) for my entire life, I have seen motorcycle riders put a foot on the ground at stop signs, despite no vehicle code section that I know of requiring this. My guess is that they can get ticketed for not doing this. AFAIK, the only requirement at stop signs is to come to a complete stop.

If I were in your situation, I would be running my camera, so that if I got a ticket, I could probably get out of it if I brought video to court showing I came to a complete stop. YMMV in your state.

RPK79 05-14-20 07:02 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21473424)
I am an honest, sweetheart of a guy. I really wanted to be a bad man a little bit ago. I was picking up a stack of lumber for a raised plant bed, and two of the pieces weren't marked. "Oh, these are 2" x 8" x 10'," I told the cashier.

"Okay, thanks.... uh, what kind of wood are they? I don't know any of this stuff."

:twitchy:

I soooooo wanted to say, "well, Douglas Fir..." which prolly would have been about 10 bucks each. Instead, I told the truth and paid close to 40 bucks each.

I've noticed Home Depot is very much on an honor system with their checkout system.

bampilot06 05-14-20 07:04 AM


Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 21474204)
In my state (CA) for my entire life, I have seen motorcycle riders put a foot on the ground at stop signs, despite no vehicle code section that I know of requiring this. My guess is that they can get ticketed for not doing this. AFAIK, the only requirement at stop signs is to come to a complete stop.

If I were in your situation, I would be running my camera, so that if I got a ticket, I could probably get out of it if I brought video to court showing I came to a complete stop. YMMV in your state.

I need to get a camera. Itís on the list.

abshipp 05-14-20 07:07 AM


Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 21474204)
In my state (CA) for my entire life, I have seen motorcycle riders put a foot on the ground at stop signs, despite no vehicle code section that I know of requiring this. My guess is that they can get ticketed for not doing this. AFAIK, the only requirement at stop signs is to come to a complete stop.

If I were in your situation, I would be running my camera, so that if I got a ticket, I could probably get out of it if I brought video to court showing I came to a complete stop. YMMV in your state.

I looked up some of the VA statutes, all they say is that you are required to come to a "full and complete stop". I can't find anything that requires you to put a foot down, but maybe that's how bampilot06's local PD interprets the statute?

I did see that cyclists and motorcyclists can treat red lights as stop signs, though :bday:


Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

WhyFi 05-14-20 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21474193)
Had a new one this morning. Was approaching a stop sign with a police officer sitting across the intersection. His window was down, and I could see him starring at me. I came to a complete stop, but didnít unclip, just balanced standing up for a second or two then proceeded to start moving forward. As soon as I started to move he turned on his lights. I immediately stopped again, and this time I unclipped and put my foot down. He started shaking his head in a ďyesĒ motion and turned his lights off.
I didnít realize unclipping was law? I came to a stop before I was going to proceed. It was 620 am no traffic at this particular intersection ever. I wonder if he would have chased me down if I didnít unclip?

**** him.

Lemond1985 05-14-20 07:20 AM

So it comes down to how honest his local traffic court is. If they follow the law, he likely gets off. But if he lives in Hazzard County, and Boss Hogg's cabin by the lake needs some new furniture, he's out of luck. ;)

WhyFi 05-14-20 07:25 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21474220)
I looked up some of the VA statutes, all they say is that you are required to come to a "full and complete stop". I can't find anything that requires you to put a foot down, but maybe that's how bampilot06's local PD interprets the statute?

I did see that cyclists and motorcyclists can treat red lights as stop signs, though :bday:

I never understood the bit about waiting one or two complete cycles before it's okay to run the light. Like, if the lights are actually cycling, what's the frigging problem? Maybe this would apply to the odd left turn arrow? Not seeing too many other situations.

Velo Vol 05-14-20 07:27 AM


Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 21474119)
Before a ride on a hot day, I rate my pre-existing thirst on a level of 1-10, and then take a corresponding number of gulps of water from the sink / hose.

It's more an art than a science.


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21474168)
Also, my first rides were gravel rides. We lived in a new housing development and the roads weren't finished yet.

We know. Paved roads were rare in the early days.

LAJ 05-14-20 07:27 AM

If there's a cop in sight, the foot goes down. The same goes to a kindly motorist waiving me through. No. You were there first, or you're to the right of me, follow the traffic laws as I'm supposed to.

Velo Vol 05-14-20 07:33 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21474245)
I never understood the bit about waiting one or two complete cycles before it's okay to run the light. Like, if the lights are actually cycling, what's the frigging problem? Maybe this would apply to the odd left turn arrow? Not seeing too many other situations.

Could be left turn or even straight if the sensors are independent from the oncoming traffic. In other words, the on-coming traffic might get a green light but you don't if the sensors don't pick up the bicycle.

WhyFi 05-14-20 07:38 AM

Grrr - another last page lockout. :notamused:

WhyFi 05-14-20 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21474262)
Could be left turn or even straight if the sensors are independent from the oncoming traffic. In other words, the on-coming traffic might get a green light but you don't if the sensors don't pick up the bicycle.

Ah. I don't think that I've ever encountered one of those - I've seen some left turn signals that weren't included in a cycle, but I can't recall not getting a regular ol' green included.

WhyFi 05-14-20 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21474251)
If there's a cop in sight, the foot goes down. The same goes to a kindly motorist waiving me through. No. You were there first, or you're to the right of me, follow the traffic laws as I'm supposed to.

I do that with drivers, because it causes too much trouble and bother when people don't follow the script, but I have no problem doing a track stand and daring a cop to be an uber a-hole.

abshipp 05-14-20 07:51 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21474245)
I never understood the bit about waiting one or two complete cycles before it's okay to run the light. Like, if the lights are actually cycling, what's the frigging problem? Maybe this would apply to the odd left turn arrow? Not seeing too many other situations.

Reading it again I can't tell whether all of the listed conditions have to be satisfied before you proceed through or if it's permissible to proceed if one or more of the conditions is satisfied :foo:

bampilot06 05-14-20 08:02 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21474220)
I looked up some of the VA statutes, all they say is that you are required to come to a "full and complete stop". I can't find anything that requires you to put a foot down, but maybe that's how bampilot06's local PD interprets the statute?

I did see that cyclists and motorcyclists can treat red lights as stop signs, though :bday:


I guess I need to find out what a ďFULL and COMPLETE stop means to a bicycle.
When it comes to other drivers I take LAJ stand foot comes off even if they are waving me through. That causes to much confusion on all fronts.

Bah Humbug 05-14-20 08:07 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21474048)
Canít you guys just go behind a tree like most people??

Not a lot of trees in this part of Texas. There are some in neighborhoods that were planted, but once you get out on the road itís scrub.

Bah Humbug 05-14-20 08:13 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21474290)
Ah. I don't think that I've ever encountered one of those - I've seen some left turn signals that weren't included in a cycle, but I can't recall not getting a regular ol' green included.

Thereís a particular one on that northern highway route we used - left turn from the highway to the local road that has the rec center we start at. If there isnít a car behind you, the light will leave you hanging forever. Worse, itíll let the oncoming traffic keep flying through against you, so you might be waiting a while even to run the light. At the end of the ride, baking on the blacktop.

bampilot06 05-14-20 08:15 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21474363)
Thereís a particular one on that northern highway route we used - left turn from the highway to the local road that has the rec center we start at. If there isnít a car behind you, the light will leave you hanging forever. Worse, itíll let the oncoming traffic keep flying through against you, so you might be waiting a while even to run the light. At the end of the ride, baking on the blacktop.


Sounds like itís time for a good old fashion re route.

datlas 05-14-20 08:16 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21474348)
Not a lot of trees in this part of Texas. There are some in neighborhoods that were planted, but once you get out on the road itís scrub.

Bummer. I know that "public urination" is technically a sex crime in most states, which is just plain crazy IMO.

If you are in the middle of nowhere and are discreet, I see no problem with taking a leak. It's a normal bodily function. My hope is there is some type of sheltered secluded area (even a set-back billboard?) that would allow you to not have to hunt for a public bathroom.

Lemond1985 05-14-20 08:17 AM

Sometimes in that situation, if you are on a steel framed bike, you can lay it on its side over where the magnetic detector is, and trigger the light to change that way. Works about 15-20% of the time, in my experience (or maybe the light was about to change anyway, who knows?).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.