Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

WhyFi 06-03-20 11:05 AM

I'm sure that this'll confuse the hell out of guys like Velo Vol, but I'm just not acclimated to warm weather yet. It was ~72į and sunny at the outset of my ride and I was uncomfortable when trying to ride at a high-ish output; had to dial it back.

Cycliq selfie from this morning's ride.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18f496e56e.jpg

big john 06-03-20 11:11 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21513005)
Snapped a quick link this morning. One of the pins separated from the side plate. Had to make the call of shame.

You don't carry one with you?

LAJ 06-03-20 11:13 AM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21513004)
A friend of mine just gave me a 1998/99 Cannondale RT 1000 tandem. It's in excellent condition, but will get new saddles, handlebar tape, and clip-less pedals.


That's a nice bike.

I sure wish I didn't wad up my R2000.

LAJ 06-03-20 11:15 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21513014)
I'm sure that this'll confuse the hell out of guys like Velo Vol, but I'm just not acclimated to warm weather yet. It was ~72į and sunny at the outset of my ride and I was uncomfortable when trying to ride at a high-ish output; had to dial it back.

Cycliq selfie from this morning's ride.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18f496e56e.jpg

Expensive mirror.

Bah Humbug 06-03-20 11:17 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21513014)
I'm sure that this'll confuse the hell out of guys like Velo Vol, but I'm just not acclimated to warm weather yet. It was ~72į and sunny at the outset of my ride and I was uncomfortable when trying to ride at a high-ish output; had to dial it back.

Cycliq selfie from this morning's ride.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18f496e56e.jpg

Man, in my world 72* is downright chilly.

bampilot06 06-03-20 11:19 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21512591)
Iíve reached the point in my life that if I need something, I buy it. Iím sure many can relate. But then again, occasionally I get a practical and usable gift from someone like my son gave me yesterday to wear on my rides:


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b9227d308.jpeg


the amazon list was actually to prevent her from buying me things I donít need. It has backfired however, instead of buying the list she has bought me similiar items, in some cases thatís fine. In other cases I still have to go buy the original thing. With that being said, I much rather buy the things I need myself. I donít know what I need until I need it and then I want it now.

LesterOfPuppets 06-03-20 11:22 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21513055)
the amazon list was actually to prevent her from buying me things I donít need. It has backfired however, instead of buying the list she has bought me similiar items, in some cases thatís fine. In other cases I still have to go buy the original thing. With that being said, I much rather buy the things I need myself. I donít know what I need until I need it and then I want it now.

Have you pointed out that the list is clickable? :lol:

Bah Humbug 06-03-20 11:22 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21512681)
You left America because most people give holiday gifts?

I would wager it's less of a direct "because most people give holiday gifts" and more of a "the rampant materialism". For example, AG and I had a simple courthouse wedding (not leastwise because neither of us likes to be the center of attention). My ex though, she wanted a wedding with all the trappings, and saw me as the prop to stand next to her during the process. She didn't even want to get married until she got jealous of all her friends having weddings right after graduation. That's not that rare, sadly. She found someone to fill in for me less than a year after we broke up.

It is, of course, not just weddings - the fact that there's the permanent "seasonal" aisle in stores means there's always something to use to pressure people into buying crap for each other. It's exhausting and destructive, and far worse for people without disposable income.

I'll get off my soapbox now; this isn't the most pressing issue right now. But I think I understand what seedsbelize meant.

big john 06-03-20 11:26 AM

I drained my 70oz Camelbak and 2 large bottles in a 4 hour ride yesterday and was still dehydrated.

Early in the ride I cut through a neighborhood and see a woman fall on the ground next to a wheelchair. I stopped and asked if I could help and she said no. I asked again and stuck around for a minute but it was clear she didn't want me there. I said "ok tough guy" which got a little chuckle out of her.

Later, a car buzzed me pretty close and I shouted a f-bomb involuntarily while the open window was right next to me. A while after that I cut off a car at an intersection, totally my fault, and the young man driving went into a rage, flipping me off and screaming at his closed windows. I tried to say "sorry" but he wasn't having it. I wondered if he was going to get out of his car ahead of me since we were going the same direction, but he just raged ahead.

A fun day.

noodle soup 06-03-20 11:29 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21513038)
That's a nice bike.

I sure wish I didn't wad up my R2000.

I'm pretty excited about it. It's an older style tandem with 135mm spacing + cantilever brakes, but it looks like new. It's metallic BRG with gold logos. Very classy looking.

LAJ 06-03-20 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21513005)
Snapped a quick link this morning. One of the pins separated from the side plate. Had to make the call of shame.

I did that a year or so ago, but I was lucky I was in town. I honestly don't know how it happened, but it separated, and I lost one side. My multi-tool has a chain breaker on it, so I was able to get it back together, but I was a mess. Luckily, I was near a shop that's well known on the web as a Sprinter Guru. I know my way around a shop, so I had no issue clicking on in there in my spandex, and asking if I could use their shop sink to degrease. Of course, I show him my hands, and he directs me to the employee bathroom. Holy crap... Before going in, I was looking for the medical station so I could get my immunization shot. The shop itself was bad, and the bathroom was worse. I'm thinking wtf did I get myself into? I have to come out with clean hands, because I sure don't want to insult the fellows that were kind enough to infect let me use their place. I was able to spy some soap, and was able to turn on the cold water, and knock most of the T-9 off my paws. I thanked the gentlemen profusely, they asked how far I had to go, I said only 25-30 more miles, "we don't even drive that far here" (har har har), finished up, and took a long shower.

big john 06-03-20 11:48 AM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21513079)
I'm pretty excited about it. It's an older style tandem with 135mm spacing + cantilever brakes, but it looks like new. It's metallic BRG with gold logos. Very classy looking.

Do you have a stoker?

abshipp 06-03-20 11:52 AM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21513079)
I'm pretty excited about it. It's an older style tandem with 135mm spacing + cantilever brakes, but it looks like new. It's metallic BRG with gold logos. Very classy looking.

Is there a drag brake?

Green with gold logos is one of the best Cannondale colors, IMO. Only eclipsed by the polished ones.

BillyD 06-03-20 11:56 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21512970)
Mother Nature just pissed her pantsuit. Now I hear fire trucks.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9d5a84b99.jpeg

Iím getting just the most northern edge of that system, amounting to just sprinkles.

seedsbelize 06-03-20 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21512827)
Seems like enough.

LOL Too many lumps of coal in your stocking?

No. It was symptomatic of greater issues. And that's all I have to say about that.

indyfabz 06-03-20 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21513061)
My ex though, she wanted a wedding with all the trappings, and saw me as the prop to stand next to her during the process. She didn't even want to get married until she got jealous of all her friends having weddings right after graduation. That's not that rare, sadly.

Wow! Flashback to the 90s. Young woman joined the law firm. One night a bunch of us went on a pub crawl. She got pretty snockered and ended up sobbing about how her boyfriend had dumped her because she was pressuring him into marriage. She was upset because all her hometown friends were married and they thought she would have been the first to get married. She clearly wanted a big ceremony. All the works. Not long after that she ended up in a relatively long distance relationship with a guy who her friends fixed her up with. He was a Hostess delivery truck driver in CT, her home state. (NTTAWWT) They used to meet halfway at a motel in Tarrytown, NY, on the weekends. She soon left the firm to be with him. Wonder how things worked out.

noodle soup 06-03-20 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21513131)
Do you have a stoker?

It's probably too big for the women I ride with, but one male friend I ride with should be a perfect fit.

He can really hammer the flats when he wants to. We should be able to get this bike moving fast together.

seedsbelize 06-03-20 12:01 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21512878)

Amanda? Cristobal is heading that way next week.

seedsbelize 06-03-20 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21513004)
A friend of mine just gave me a 1998/99 Cannondale RT 1000 tandem. It's in excellent condition, but will get new saddles, handlebar tape, and clip-less pedals.

:thumb:

noodle soup 06-03-20 12:07 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21513142)
Is there a drag brake?

No, but many of the roads in this area long, straight, and flat.

noodle soup 06-03-20 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21513163)
It's probably too big for the women I ride with, but one male friend I ride with should be a perfect fit.

He can really hammer the flats when he wants to. We should be able to get this bike moving fast together.

He pays for premium Strava, so it'll be interesting to see if we can snipe some of the longer flat KOMs.

seedsbelize 06-03-20 12:12 PM

I just finished processing five snack-size bags of mangoes for freezing. Barring imminent rain, I will head out for another round of gathering momentarily.

LesterOfPuppets 06-03-20 12:14 PM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21513201)
He pays for premium Strava, so it'll be interesting to see if we can snipe some of the longer flat KOMs.

Woohoo! :bday:

Jadesfire 06-03-20 12:21 PM

Velo Vol , seedsbelize :

There are some menacing clouds in the area right now, but regardless they have started ramping up the chatter in preparation for Cristobal. The spaghetti models so far are predicting Saturday or Sunday landfall (though I haven't checked the weather updates since last night).

Also, mentions are not working (still? again?). Only caught Vol's as I was reading through this morning's chitchat.

Velo Vol 06-03-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21513050)
Man, in my world 72* is downright chilly.

IKR, like summer was canceled.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.