Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

DougRNS 07-25-20 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21605370)

You're f***ed.
#2020Sucks

genejockey 07-25-20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21606221)
There is always, dare I say it... modern steel? Stinner and Cicli Barco set my heart aflutter more than the Caledonia or Emonda or Tarmac or whatever, and I can get them with my preferred measurements for the same damn price. Maybe for next year.

Ritchey Road Logic disc went on sale right after I bought the Canyon. If I'd had to choose between them, I might have gone steel, since I already have a Logic that's been my favorite ride forever.

abshipp 07-25-20 10:29 AM

There is always, dare I say it... modern steel? Stinner and Cicli Barco set my heart aflutter more than the Caledonia or Emonda or Tarmac or whatever, and I can get them with my preferred measurements for the same damn price. Maybe for next year.

Yes, a modern steel bike is definitely something I'm looking in to. I actually just looked into the Smoothie that you mentioned a while ago, the 60cm size would be very comparable to my Trek fit right now, and that light blue is so pretty. Limiting myself to 28mm tires max is something I would have to think about, though. The bigger question would be whether to go disc or not, I actually really like the idea of something like the VO Pass Hunter or the Crust Bikes Lightning Bolt, they would both work really well fit-wise and are both disc brake thru axle framesets. The stock fork on the VO is unbelievably fugly though, so that would need to change.

WhyFi 07-25-20 10:48 AM

Intervals.icu said that I was gettin' a little too fresh, so I *had* to go out and add a little training stress. Another really good ride for the week! Certainly one of my faster solo metrics, which is surprising, given the wind and mileage already in the legs for the week. I'm startin' to think that there's something to this whole monitoring and managing training load thingie.

rjones28 07-25-20 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21606104)
Everyone must be reading the article I posted on Prevotella and RA.

Nope

WhyFi 07-25-20 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21606275)
Yes, a modern steel bike is definitely something I'm looking in to. I actually just looked into the Smoothie that you mentioned a while ago, the 60cm size would be very comparable to my Trek fit right now, and that light blue is so pretty. Limiting myself to 28mm tires max is something I would have to think about, though. The bigger question would be whether to go disc or not, I actually really like the idea of something like the VO Pass Hunter or the Crust Bikes Lightning Bolt, they would both work really well fit-wise and are both disc brake thru axle framesets. The stock fork on the VO is unbelievably fugly though, so that would need to change.

Modern steel is really cool... but I think that coming from vintage steel and being curious about completely modern, it might end up feeling like a half measure. Don't half-ass it - whole-ass it.

datlas 07-25-20 10:54 AM

Part of today’s ride was with a few friends. One friend brought up chamois cream. I told him I have chamois cream FOMO. He told me that’s not a thing. I explained that indeed it is.

datlas 07-25-20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21605915)
At first read I thought you (jokingly) meant you didn't want to miss all the upcoming quality conten.

Inconceivable

Bah Humbug 07-25-20 10:57 AM

Yeah those are both a bit much towards utilitarian for my taste. The advantage of the Smoothie is it takes the same parts as the R2 (other than crank) so it's an easy swap if something happens to the frame. I doubt I'd get one under other circumstances, because another rim-brake road bike would be too similar. Better to get a disc brake all-road that brings something new to the table.

datlas 07-25-20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21606076)
I'm thinking pince nez.

I have a pair.

Velo Vol 07-25-20 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21606191)
So, we can now give mice Rheumatoid Arthritis by feeding them poop from RA patients. I sure hope the cure is of a different nature.

Can we cure it by giving mouse poop to RA patients?

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21606200)
Got my ride in. Had to stop 4 times to answer pages. Not bad all in all. At very end of ride got hit by a visual migraine which is always interesting, I am hoping no evil headache to follow. Ate a bajillion wild raspberries at one page-stop. They were quite good.

Cause and effect.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21606307)
Nope

I would say you missed out, but as with every other study in this field, it raises more questions than it answers. #WitchDoctory

Yes, a modern steel bike is definitely something I'm looking in to.

wut is "modern steel"?

abshipp 07-25-20 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21606308)
Modern steel is really cool... but I think that coming from vintage steel and being curious about completely modern, it might end up feeling like a half measure. Don't half-ass it - whole-ass it.

I think oversized 853 would feel pretty different to the noodle tubes I ride now, but I know what you mean.

bampilot06 07-25-20 11:05 AM

We got the house!

Velo Vol 07-25-20 11:06 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...610df2040.jpeg

WhyFi 07-25-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21606336)
We got the house!

:bday:

....and now get ready for that Honey-Do List. :twitchy:

bampilot06 07-25-20 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21606339)

....and now get ready for that Honey-Do List. :twitchy:

atleast this time it will be for a property I own......

WhyFi 07-25-20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21606341)
atleast this time it will be for a property I own......

Which means that she won't hold back and it'll be more extensive.

But don't worry about that - that's days down the line... :innocent:

bampilot06 07-25-20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21606343)

But don't worry about that - that's days down the line... :innocent:

you just start training for when your back in williamsburg. I donít hold back.

datlas 07-25-20 11:12 AM

We got the house!

abshipp 07-25-20 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21606322)
Yeah those are both a bit much towards utilitarian for my taste. The advantage of the Smoothie is it takes the same parts as the R2 (other than crank) so it's an easy swap if something happens to the frame. I doubt I'd get one under other circumstances, because another rim-brake road bike would be too similar. Better to get a disc brake all-road that brings something new to the table.

The Pass Hunter is probably overbuilt, it falls into the same issue as Surly and other big brands where they have to design for lots of use cases and rider sizes. From what I've heard the Lightning bolt is pretty spritely.

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21606326)
wut is "modern steel"?

Oversized tubing, typically lugless construction, threadless headsets, disc brakes, thru-axles. Most nowadays are going with tapered head tubes as well for carbon fork compatibility.

Velo Vol 07-25-20 11:16 AM

DougRNS

bampilot06 07-25-20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21606348)

thanks

abshipp 07-25-20 11:18 AM

We got the house!

Awesome! :bday:

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21606343)

My god, the amount of times I've heard "I'd love to do this but it's a rental". :twitchy:

Plus, my wife likes to re-arrange. A lot. Like probably 2-3 times a year.

bampilot06 07-25-20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21606357)
Awesome! :bday:

My god, the amount of times I've heard "I'd love to do this but it's a rental". :twitchy:

I think weíre leaving the rental in a better condition than when we started in it. Probably raised its value to. My wife likes everything to be perfect, and doesnít stop til it is. Why she is with me? I have no idea......:)

WhyFi 07-25-20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21606347)
you just start training for when your back in williamsburg. I donít hold back.

Ha! Don't forget that you asked for it. ;)

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21606357)

Ugh. I've got lists on top of lists. It was comical, but we're beyond that, now.