Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Velo Vol 11-19-21 07:30 AM

Map of the Day

19 November 2021


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b31016f99.jpeg

Velo Vol 11-19-21 07:30 AM

DougRNS


Velo Vol 11-19-21 07:49 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22313139)
Same. Wind is a normal thing here. We're not that far from Wyoming.

Maybe you should move?

datlas 11-19-21 07:51 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22312959)
The worst is climbing into a cold headwind. The first time I went to Mill Creek Summit (a 6 mile climb following a 9 mile climb) I had tonsillitis and only a knit jersey and it was cold with a rude headwind. Probably 1989. They waited at the top for me and someone said "You don't look so good". I was ok after that awful climb was over.

I've done the Mount Wilson New Year's Day ride 16 times, at least the climbing part of it. I remember it being so windy I could hear the sand rattling against my glasses. Starts with the same 9 mile climb as the previous sufferfest and besides wind there has been rain and cold. Why would I ride to the top of a 5500 foot mountain on Jan 1? Then you have to come back down with more cold wind when you are wet. I started carrying lots of extra clothes but the last time I did it my friend was not prepared for the 20 degree descent and she suffered terribly. I was just talking to her about that this Tuesday.
Last Jan 1 I did a ride at the coast. It was a lot easier.

I remembered climbing Mill Creek from the other side and the winds were awful and swirling around. My friend and I were on the last part of the climb when a strong sidewind pushed me toward the center of the road, lucky there were no cars and my friend was pushed out of my way. Scared the crap out of me but during the following descent the wind was behind me and suddenly I was going way too fast and it was eerily quiet. I did not like that feeling and I was worried if the wind switched again it would be bad news. On the same road on a different day a friend got blown off of his bike crossing a bridge.

I did a charity ride where the headwind was so strong that people were walking their bikes on flat ground. I had never seen that before.

I can talk about wind a lot.

I will bug you more in 3 months, but Mt Wilson is on my "To Do" list for when we come to LA in late February, we plan to stay in Pasadena. I know it will be chilly and windy especially at higher altitudes. Might consider Mill Creek too.

rjones28 11-19-21 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22312892)
Weighing my options at the moment. May end up relaxing the hubs in to some new rims. I managed to find some direct replacement rims at one of our distributors, but there also may be some upgrade opportunities.



Time is 50cm c-c seat tube, 55.5cm c-c top tube. Definitely a medium frame. Fairly aggressive though. ;)



I've got a few hubs I'd really love to build a set of wheels from. Just need the bikes to out them on :)



I'd been noticing some creaking noises when out of the saddle recently. Seems to correlate, so I guess finding out may solve a problem.

Bit the real question is - how do I rebuild these?

Hubs are Origin8 cartridge bearing with a nice quiet freehub. 20F and 24R. There are some polished H Plus Son Archetypes in stock at a distributor...

H Plus Son are nice.

I've built several wheels with DT Swiss rims this year. Nice rims to work with. Not sure about 20 hole availability tho.

rjones28 11-19-21 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22313194)
H Plus Son are nice.

I've built several wheels with DT Swiss rims this year. Nice rims to work with. Not sure about 20 hole availability tho.

All of the DT Swiss rim brake rims are available in a 20 and 24 hole drillings. The R460 is a great bang-for-the-buck rim brake rim.

seedsbelize2 11-19-21 08:43 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22312892)
Weighing my options at the moment. May end up relaxing the hubs in to some new rims. I managed to find some direct replacement rims at one of our distributors, but there also may be some upgrade opportunities.



Time is 50cm c-c seat tube, 55.5cm c-c top tube. Definitely a medium frame. Fairly aggressive though. ;)



I've got a few hubs I'd really love to build a set of wheels from. Just need the bikes to out them on :)



I'd been noticing some creaking noises when out of the saddle recently. Seems to correlate, so I guess finding out may solve a problem.

Bit the real question is - how do I rebuild these?

Hubs are Origin8 cartridge bearing with a nice quiet freehub. 20F and 24R. There are some polished H Plus Son Archetypes in stock at a distributor...

It doesn't hurt to have extra wheelsets.

Velo Vol 11-19-21 08:44 AM

It froze last night. Gross.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0276e5386f.png

seedsbelize2 11-19-21 08:46 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22312961)
I would take it to a bike shop and have them do it, probably.

There is nothing more serene in the bike wrenching realm than building wheels

seedsbelize2 11-19-21 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22313139)
Same. Wind is a normal thing here. We're not that far from Wyoming.

Same. Except for the Wyoming part. Many of my rides are crosswind both ways. Feels like headwind both ways.

seedsbelize2 11-19-21 08:51 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22313224)

Maybe you should move.

Velo Vol 11-19-21 08:57 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22313226)
There is nothing more serene in the bike wrenching realm than building wheels

There's no serenity for me to be found in not knowing what I'm doing.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22313235)
Maybe you should move.

Maybe, in the winter.

datlas 11-19-21 09:07 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22313226)
There is nothing more serene in the bike wrenching realm than building wheels

Serenity NOW!

ls01 11-19-21 09:15 AM

So before yesterday's zwift ride I had to do an update. After the update I was informed that As of January, I will need windows 10 or better. So my old win 8 machine is going to be retired. Bastards. That was the only thing I still used that laptop for was zwift, and it was performing perfectly.
My new Apple TV should be there tonight. I just have to reconfigure ever aspect of my riding area for this new addition.

indyfabz 11-19-21 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22313139)
We're not that far from Wyoming.

The worst wind I ever experienced while touring was in Wyoming. It was coming from around the 2:30 position. Open ranch land with nothing to shield you. I was literally leaning sideway to counteract the force of the wind. Fortunately, I caught up to a couple riding a Bike Friday tandem who were heading to the same town (Jeffrey City) and was able to create a mini echelon to make things bearable. I was so worried about the wind the next day that I hit the road at sunup.

Mojo31 11-19-21 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22313226)
There is nothing more serene in the bike wrenching realm than building wheels

There is a great deal of serenity when you walk into the bike store, plop your credit card on the counter, and walk out with a nice set of wheels that someone else built. Joy and jubilation also.

Velo Vol 11-19-21 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22313257)
The worst wind I ever experienced while touring was in Wyoming. It was coming from around the 2:30 position. Open ranch land with nothing to shield you. I was literally leaning sideway to counteract the force of the wind. Fortunately, I caught up to a couple riding a Bike Friday tandem who were heading to the same town (Jeffrey City) and was able to create a mini echelon to make things bearable. I was so worried about the wind the next day that I hit the road at sunup.

It's a modern marvel that anywhere west of the Mississippi River is habitable.


Eric F 11-19-21 10:10 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22312959)
The worst is climbing into a cold headwind. The first time I went to Mill Creek Summit (a 6 mile climb following a 9 mile climb) I had tonsillitis and only a knit jersey and it was cold with a rude headwind. Probably 1989. They waited at the top for me and someone said "You don't look so good". I was ok after that awful climb was over.

I've done the Mount Wilson New Year's Day ride 16 times, at least the climbing part of it. I remember it being so windy I could hear the sand rattling against my glasses. Starts with the same 9 mile climb as the previous sufferfest and besides wind there has been rain and cold. Why would I ride to the top of a 5500 foot mountain on Jan 1? Then you have to come back down with more cold wind when you are wet. I started carrying lots of extra clothes but the last time I did it my friend was not prepared for the 20 degree descent and she suffered terribly. I was just talking to her about that this Tuesday.
Last Jan 1 I did a ride at the coast. It was a lot easier.

I remembered climbing Mill Creek from the other side and the winds were awful and swirling around. My friend and I were on the last part of the climb when a strong sidewind pushed me toward the center of the road, lucky there were no cars and my friend was pushed out of my way. Scared the crap out of me but during the following descent the wind was behind me and suddenly I was going way too fast and it was eerily quiet. I did not like that feeling and I was worried if the wind switched again it would be bad news. On the same road on a different day a friend got blown off of his bike crossing a bridge.

I did a charity ride where the headwind was so strong that people were walking their bikes on flat ground. I had never seen that before.

I can talk about wind a lot.

Despite living at the foot of Mt. Wilson, I have never done either the road or MTB version of the NYD ride up there. I've ridden there other days, by both routes.

Wind blows.

LAJ 11-19-21 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22313268)
There is a great deal of serenity when you walk into the bike store, plop your credit card on the counter, and walk out with a nice set of wheels that someone else built. Joy and jubilation also.

I've done it both ways. Joy, jubilation and serenity abounds.

LAJ 11-19-21 10:23 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22313257)
The worst wind I ever experienced while touring was in Wyoming. It was coming from around the 2:30 position. Open ranch land with nothing to shield you. I was literally leaning sideway to counteract the force of the wind. Fortunately, I caught up to a couple riding a Bike Friday tandem who were heading to the same town (Jeffrey City) and was able to create a mini echelon to make things bearable. I was so worried about the wind the next day that I hit the road at sunup.

The hills in the Velo Vol territory, and the wind in Wyoming. Those two are the bane of the Trans Am Bike Race participants. Well. Getting killed in Kansas may be at the top. Those three things...

rjones28 11-19-21 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22313268)
There is a great deal of serenity when you walk into the bike store, plop your credit card on the counter, and walk out with a nice set of wheels that someone else built. Joy and jubilation also.

Helping people have that experience is one of the reasons I find time to work at a shop.

big john 11-19-21 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22313177)
I will bug you more in 3 months, but Mt Wilson is on my "To Do" list for when we come to LA in late February, we plan to stay in Pasadena. I know it will be chilly and windy especially at higher altitudes. Might consider Mill Creek too.

Mount Wilson has the option of just going to the summit and coming back down or you can make it part of an epic loop. The weather on the Jan 1 ride has been everything from pleasant to freezing cold to snow and ice making the last 5 miles unrideable. There is a little outdoor cafe at the top but it doesn't open until the roads are clear for cars. It's a 5 mile spur off of Highway 2.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cbeb921159.jpg

datlas 11-19-21 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22313349)
Mount Wilson has the option of just going to the summit and coming back down or you can make it part of an epic loop. The weather on the Jan 1 ride has been everything from pleasant to freezing cold to snow and ice making the last 5 miles unrideable. There is a little outdoor cafe at the top but it doesn't open until the roads are clear for cars. It's a 5 mile spur off of Highway 2.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cbeb921159.jpg

How is Highway 2 for riding? Google street view suggests minimal shoulder. Much traffic??

big john 11-19-21 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22313311)
Despite living at the foot of Mt. Wilson, I have never done either the road or MTB version of the NYD ride up there. I've ridden there other days, by both routes.

Wind blows.

A friend who is an ex pro started the ride 40ish years ago. The official start is in Van Nuys but I've always skipped the ride across the valley floor and just ridden from home. There have been 200 riders some years and hardly any riders other years, like after the Station Fire. Some riders don't anticipate the freezing 35 mph descent while wet from the climb and go up without any extra layers. One time my friend drove up and had hot coffee and snacks for our group. This guy in the short sleeves was hanging around trying to score a jacket or something for the descent. I think she gave him some paper to stuff in his jersey.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d4f734625.jpg

Mojo31 11-19-21 10:41 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22313348)
Helping people have that experience is one of the reasons I find time to work at a shop.

I'd do that in a heartbeat - if it paid enough.

There is a new guy in the LBS that I've been getting to know. He's about my age and must be retired from some other career because he has a plane and a Porsche that he tracks. Can't imagine a Trek store pays enough to support those hobbies.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.