Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

big john 01-20-22 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22381433)
More likely folks are just bored with riding on paved surfaces, next thing you know everyone except Vol and I will be flocking to riding in the mud. Some do that already, I hear. :innocent:

I've ridden motorcycles and bicycles off road since around 1980. Most of my motorcycling was in the desert so not much mud there. It rarely rains here but when it does I know where to go to avoid mud. There is an area near here that is almost all sandstone. I've been up there in the pouring rain and not a bit of mud. Also, areas with sandy, rocky terrain are fine when wet.

Clay is to be avoided. When wet it sticks to your tires and they grow to the point that they can't roll. Then you have to carry the bike, which has gained a lot of weight, and your shoes grow to ridiculous proportions. I took my ex wife to a clay trail in the rain, by accident, and she started crying. Made me feel pretty awful.

It's fun. Road riding in the rain sucks. Also, I'm not bored with road riding, I'm sick of cars and riding around them. Actually, most drivers around here are considerate but a few aren't.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50f681753f.jpg

Eric F 01-20-22 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22381459)
I've always found credence in the old expression "It takes a chump to make a champ". Superstars don't make good coaches. Other than Lenny Wilkins, I can't think of another instance, in any sport, where a superstar became a championship calibre coach.

I'm not talking about only the superstars. There is a long-standing prevailing opinion in baseball that you can't be an effective coach at the pro level if you haven't played at the pro level. It appears that this standard is starting to erode a bit.

phrantic09 01-20-22 04:17 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9b05e8223.jpeg
:bday:

Eric F 01-20-22 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22381472)
I've ridden motorcycles and bicycles off road since around 1980. Most of my motorcycling was in the desert so not much mud there. It rarely rains here but when it does I know where to go to avoid mud. There is an area near here that is almost all sandstone. I've been up there in the pouring rain and not a bit of mud. Also, areas with sandy, rocky terrain are fine when wet.

Clay is to be avoided. When wet it sticks to your tires and they grow to the point that they can't roll. Then you have to carry the bike, which has gained a lot of weight, and your shoes grow to ridiculous proportions. I took my ex wife to a clay trail in the rain, by accident, and she started crying. Made me feel pretty awful.

It's fun. Road riding in the rain sucks. Also, I'm not bored with road riding, I'm sick of cars and riding around them. Actually, most drivers around here are considerate but a few aren't.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50f681753f.jpg

Our local hills - the San Gabriel mountain range - are basically a giant pile of decomposing granite with very little clay content. This means water runs through it or off it pretty efficiently, and even when really wet, it doesn't get very sticky. Other areas of So Cal have higher clay content, which gets that all-mucked-up condition.

phrantic09 01-20-22 04:24 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22381472)
I've ridden motorcycles and bicycles off road since around 1980. Most of my motorcycling was in the desert so not much mud there. It rarely rains here but when it does I know where to go to avoid mud. There is an area near here that is almost all sandstone. I've been up there in the pouring rain and not a bit of mud. Also, areas with sandy, rocky terrain are fine when wet.

Clay is to be avoided. When wet it sticks to your tires and they grow to the point that they can't roll. Then you have to carry the bike, which has gained a lot of weight, and your shoes grow to ridiculous proportions. I took my ex wife to a clay trail in the rain, by accident, and she started crying. Made me feel pretty awful.

It's fun. Road riding in the rain sucks. Also, I'm not bored with road riding, I'm sick of cars and riding around them. Actually, most drivers around here are considerate but a few aren't.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50f681753f.jpg

dirt and gravel are a ton of fun. I have to ride 13 miles to hit the dirt but really love it.

WhyFi 01-20-22 04:26 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22381489)
:bday:

:beer:

I think that I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating if you haven't dealt with it before: the freehub can/will slide right off so, when you're handling the rear wheel, don't hold it with the cassette pointing down. Once the freehub body comes off, it can be a pain to get it back on and I've had pawls pop out on me (none lost, thankfully).

phrantic09 01-20-22 04:30 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22381501)
:beer:

I think that I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating if you haven't dealt with it before: the freehub can/will slide right off so, when you're handling the rear wheel, don't hold it with the cassette pointing down. Once the freehub body comes off, it can be a pain to get it back on and I've had pawls pop out on me (none lost, thankfully).

I didnít know that. So itíll come right off even with the cassette on?

genejockey 01-20-22 04:35 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22381459)
I've always found credence in the old expression "It takes a chump to make a champ". Superstars don't make good coaches. Other than Lenny Wilkins, I can't think of another instance, in any sport, where a superstar became a championship calibre coach.

"Remember! The difference between 'chump' and 'champ' is U! But the difference between 'champ' and 'chimp' is I!!!"

big john 01-20-22 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22381496)
Our local hills - the San Gabriel mountain range - are basically a giant pile of decomposing granite with very little clay content. This means water runs through it or off it pretty efficiently, and even when really wet, it doesn't get very sticky. Other areas of So Cal have higher clay content, which gets that all-mucked-up condition.

Yep.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7f0d57d2f6.jpg

Velo Vol 01-20-22 05:02 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22381380)
Someone told me that if a road has a double-yellow line that it's maintained by the state, while those without a double yellow line are maintained by the township. I know you are not in my state, but does that sound right or is it an old wives' tale??

Nope.

LesterOfPuppets 01-20-22 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22380903)

I thought those were handlebars for a minute.

Eric F 01-20-22 05:21 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22381509)
"Remember! The difference between 'chump' and 'champ' is U! But the difference between 'champ' and 'chimp' is I!!!"

"There's no 'I" in team...but there's no team without 'me'"!

datlas 01-20-22 05:38 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22381536)
I thought those were handlebars for a minute.

Theyíre not?!?

Eric F 01-20-22 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22381575)
Theyíre not?!?

Nope. Low hurdles commonly used in athletic agility training.

https://www.amazon.ca/Trademark-Inno.../dp/B00M1S0XHY

genejockey 01-20-22 06:03 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22381581)
Nope. Low hurdles commonly used in athletic agility training.

https://www.amazon.ca/Trademark-Inno.../dp/B00M1S0XHY

Son of a gun. I'd never have known.

Eric F 01-20-22 06:06 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22381600)
Son of a gun. I'd never have known.

Now ya do. :thumb:

genejockey 01-20-22 06:10 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22381603)
Now ya do. :thumb:

Now I got a use for all the 38 and 40 cm bars I've been taking off C&V bikes! REALLY low hurdles!

WhyFi 01-20-22 06:20 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22381502)
I didnít know that. So itíll come right off even with the cassette on?

Yup. It's the first that I've run in to it, too, but it seems as if it's becoming more common. I couldn't say why, though...

Eric F 01-20-22 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22381609)
Now I got a use for all the 38 and 40 cm bars I've been taking off C&V bikes! REALLY low hurdles!

Call them "vintage agility hurdles", and this will definitely happen...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/25...ed0b830712.jpg

ls01 01-20-22 06:28 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22380054)
Fresh legs?

Has to be.

ls01 01-20-22 06:30 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22380076)
I guess he could have said that he would go to Phrantic's to play with his joy stick. :innocent:

Oh,...oh my....

genejockey 01-20-22 06:30 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22381623)
Call them "vintage agility hurdles", and this will definitely happen...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/25...ed0b830712.jpg

The 150mm drop is about all some vintage people can get over!

big john 01-20-22 06:30 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22381621)
Yup. It's the first that I've run in to it, too, but it seems as if it's becoming more common. I couldn't say why, though...

My mountain bike does that. I didn't know until one time I drove 45 miles to a ride start and I guess the day before I had the wheel off and when I put it back on it was a little wonky. I pulled the axle out and I thought it was broken. Finally figured it out and went riding. I used a piece of stiff wire to push the pawls down. Kept checking it every time we stopped because I wasn't sure.

ls01 01-20-22 06:31 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22380080)
What are those?

those are (broken and collapsed) displacement on demand lifters. The thing that gm is being sued for right now.

phrantic09 01-20-22 06:31 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22381621)
Yup. It's the first that I've run in to it, too, but it seems as if it's becoming more common. I couldn't say why, though...


Strange, perhaps itís to make changing the freehub bodies easier with shimano, XD and XDR these days?

Cassette comes tomorrow, not sure what tires yet but Iím leaning toward whatever I can find :lol:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.