Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

seedsbelize2 04-26-22 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22485107)
Hmmmmm.

I sometimes get phishing emails thanking me for a recent purchase of a gaming computer to be shipped to some address not my own. The return email address is usually gmail or some such.

I do wonder how many people get caught up in those scams. I imagine for older, less mentally sharp people, things like that "Department of Social Security Administration" call that threatens to "suspend your account" can be pretty scary. There's a special place in hell for people who prey on the elderly.

I get occasional emails from NOTSocial Security Administration. Of course they're not going to spend the dime to call me here.

WhyFi 04-26-22 09:43 AM

Hmmmmm.

I sometimes get phishing emails thanking me for a recent purchase of a gaming computer to be shipped to some address not my own. The return email address is usually gmail or some such.

I do wonder how many people get caught up in those scams. I imagine for older, less mentally sharp people, things like that "Department of Social Security Administration" call that threatens to "suspend your account" can be pretty scary. There's a special place in hell for people who prey on the elderly.

I glance over my email spam folder a couple times per week, and the "here's the receipt for your transaction" attempts have really taken off in the last couple months.

Mojo31 04-26-22 10:23 AM

Hmmmmm.

You and I are both highly educated people and nearing "near elderly" status, so curious if you think as we age will we still be sharp enough to not be suckered by the scammers or will we fall into the ranks of those who need their kids to constantly monitor them.

Bah Humbug 04-26-22 10:33 AM

Wordle 311 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩🟨
⬛🟨⬛🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Almost always get into a position where the solution takes a while to figure out, but there's only really the one word left. Once I get to 4. :bang:

rjones28 04-26-22 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22484896)
Got my new 11 speed hub for the DT swiss hub on the blue bike yesterday. Brake calipers should be here in a couple weeks. Here's funny.I found calipers $2.00 cheaper, so I bought them...turns out there in Great Britain... with free shipping ... Great Briton is not Green bay....fml......:twitchy:......... cuz the add just says GB. Some days I am sofa king ....

:lol:

Velo Vol 04-26-22 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22485065)
We have a huge box of soft pretzels to celebrate. Just what my staff needs, more processed carbs!!

Hey datlas, in your consultations with patients do you listen to their answers to questions? Or do you just listen to the first few words and then launch into rambling on with the same things you tell them every time?

The witch doctor has told me the same story about how I was erroneously omitted from the problem patient list every time I've seen him, as if it's news to me that I've got problems. If I could have respond to him in Addiction lingo, I would have said, "We know." :rolleyes:

Velo Vol 04-26-22 10:37 AM

Also, I'm not sure what the infusion nurse did while drawing blood for labs, but the end result was a bloody mess on my arm and the pillow.

These people.

Velo Vol 04-26-22 10:37 AM

Lastly, it turned cold again. :rolleyes:

indyfabz 04-26-22 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22485054)
Did you think about that as you were walking in or out?

In, of course.

datlas 04-26-22 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22485202)
Hey datlas, in your consultations with patients do you listen to their answers to questions? Or do you just listen to the first few words and then launch into rambling on with the same things you tell them every time?

The witch doctor has told me the same story about how I was erroneously omitted from the problem patient list every time I've seen him, as if it's news to me that I've got problems. If I could have respond to him in Addiction lingo, I would have said, "We know." :rolleyes:

Yes I do my best to shut up and listen to my patients. If they really ramble on, I sometimes do have to redirect them.

genejockey 04-26-22 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22485180)
You and I are both highly educated people and nearing "near elderly" status, so curious if you think as we age will we still be sharp enough to not be suckered by the scammers or will we fall into the ranks of those who need their kids to constantly monitor them.

As Dad's dementia grew, he lost interest in/forgot how to use email and such, so that was probably a good thing. It was pretty new to him so it wasn't deeply engrained in his mind, the way email and such will be in ours. And my sister did comb through his mail and worked to reduce the volume of junk by contacting senders. And I remember once when I was visiting, the head of the local Community Concert group, to which Dad donated, dropping by to return a check Dad had sent, because he'd already paid the annual subscription. It was very good of them. Some might have just deposited it.

Velo Vol 04-26-22 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22485218)
Yes I do my best to shut up and listen to my patients. If they really ramble on, I sometimes do have to redirect them.

How do you redirect the doctor who is rambling on about stuff you already know? SMH.

genejockey 04-26-22 12:20 PM

Not a bad day.
Wordle 311 3/6

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 04-26-22 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22485230)
How do you redirect the doctor who is rambling on about stuff you already know? SMH.

"Yes, I believe you mentioned that the last time we met."

MoAlpha 04-26-22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22485084)
Just got an email from cannondale thanking me for recent cannondale bike purchase.

If it’s new bike day I am the last to know about it, pretty sure it’s a mistake.

Hmmmmm.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22485128)
I get occasional emails from NOTSocial Security Administration. Of course they're not going to spend the dime to call me here.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22485129)
I glance over my email spam folder a couple times per week, and the "here's the receipt for your transaction" attempts have really taken off in the last couple months.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22485180)

I'm pretty sure that well over half of the communications I receive—phone, mail, email, text, and people knocking on the door—are in some degree of bad faith. Add to that the lies we subject ourselves to as a side effect of voluntarily reading social media, and we are living in the information equivalent of a sewer inhabited by man-eating rats.

I too am concerned about what will happen as my judgment deteriorates.

BillyD 04-26-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22485202)

The witch doctor has told me the same story about how I was erroneously omitted from the problem patient list every time I've seen him, as if it's news to me that I've got problems.

Is that the same as the Elaine list?

MoAlpha 04-26-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22485230)

"Is that egg or sputum on your tie?"

datlas 04-26-22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22485412)

I thought it was mucus but it's not.

rjones28 04-26-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22485409)
I too am concerned about what will happen as my judgment deteriorates.

This may have already happened.

Mojo31 04-26-22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22485412)

When do you splash?

seedsbelize2 04-26-22 02:58 PM

The results are in. Mid day I was falling asleep again, and decided to go with an espresso pourover. Two sips in it was clear. And I had a productive afternoon. The key, it seems, is to not have that second cup. Thank you all for your time and consideration as I worked through this.

Velo Vol 04-26-22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22485437)
This may have already happened.

Is he riding on gravel again?

MoAlpha 04-26-22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22485493)
When do you splash?

"It's in," as the young man said to his sweetheart, and we've actually been sailing. We have all new transducers and are waiting for the no-good electrician, who says we're his last project before leaving the business, to install the displays and AP head unit. The nervy mofo keeps kudosing me on Strava too.

Velo Vol 04-26-22 03:23 PM

Hoo boy. DougRNS

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...746860dbf.jpeg

seedsbelize2 04-26-22 03:31 PM

And there goes the power. It must be raining somewhere in the area.