Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

LAJ 05-06-22 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22497093)
I feel the same way. My in-laws in the other hand don’t spend a penny. I think perhaps it’s because they are in their 80s and both grew up poor-ish.

My wife is going to inherit something like 100 acres of prime semi - suburban real estate in central CT. Current market value is something north of 7 million. I wish they’d sell some and get something nice, but they’re just not wired that way. My MIL drives a 20 year old Ram 3/4 ton diesel and while they could easily afford a new truck, “I like this one”

I get that.

big john 05-06-22 08:33 AM

Wordle 321 4/6

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

phrantic09 05-06-22 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22497105)
Hold on to this one Phrantic09! :thumb:

Oh I will!

datlas 05-06-22 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22497008)
Rode near there last weekend on the way to and from French Creek S.P. That place used to have the nastiest pit toilets BITD.

Did you climb County Park Rd.?

Of course! Every chance I get. It’s not that long, maybe 0.4 miles, but it’s about 15% with short pitches that I suspect are close to 20%.

My favorite climb in Chester County is Flowing Springs. Ever done it? Swing by it sometime, there is a fantastic Bakery/Cafe open in Birchrunville that makes a perfect rest stop.

bampilot06 05-06-22 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22497058)
My boss gave me a similar book called “How to **** in the Woods” or something like that. He gave it to me ever since he heard that cyclists have to make emergency stops. :)

edit: the book is on Amazon.

Ive never had to stop to use the restroom. Even on centuries.

Efficient Hydrating.

Bah Humbug 05-06-22 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22497081)
As long as you have it, you might as well enjoy it. It's not going with you!

We are not big on the idea that parents must leave their kids an inheritance. We tried to give them the fundamentals to succeed (whatever that may look like to them), and the rest is up to them.

My mother and in-laws have decent money, and the plan is to receive it, but… of course no one should count on it.

Of course, there’s also the reality of looking at the wealth distribution by age in this country, and how few of our generation are lucky enough to be comfortable regardless of parental plans.

indyfabz 05-06-22 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22497141)

Efficient Hydrating.

The "****" doesn't relate to No. 1.

indyfabz 05-06-22 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22497124)
Of course! Every chance I get. It’s not that long, maybe 0.4 miles, but it’s about 15% with short pitches that I suspect are close to 20%.

My favorite climb in Chester County is Flowing Springs. Ever done it? Swing by it sometime, there is a fantastic Bakery/Cafe open in Birchrunville that makes a perfect rest stop.

Probably climbed it once in my life.

Stopped in the bakery a couple of years ago.

LAJ 05-06-22 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22497158)
The "****" doesn't relate to No. 1.

No ****. This is poop we're talking. Serious Business.

Mojo31 05-06-22 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22497142)
My mother and in-laws have decent money, and the plan is to receive it, but… of course no one should count on it.

Of course, there’s also the reality of looking at the wealth distribution by age in this country, and how few of our generation are lucky enough to be comfortable regardless of parental plans.

Wealth builds over time in a person's life. Any expectation that a 30 year old will have the same wealth as a 60 year old is rather unrealistic.

I've heard it said that today a lot of young people expect to start where their parents finished. I've had younger lawyers working for me over the years, and have had the experience where they have told me that they expected to be paid the same as I paid myself. That despite having less experience, working and billing less hours, and bringing in no business. A couple of times I've just had to respond by saying that they were welcome to start their own practice and I hoped they were successful.

Mojo31 05-06-22 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22497141)

Efficient de-hydrating.

Fixed.

datlas 05-06-22 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22497159)
Probably climbed it once in my life.

Stopped in the bakery a couple of years ago.

Strava says I have climbed it 175 times. The actual number is higher as I have only been using Strava since about 2012.

datlas 05-06-22 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22497022)

A classic. My kids loved this when they were potty training.

genejockey 05-06-22 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22497081)
As long as you have it, you might as well enjoy it. It's not going with you!

We are not big on the idea that parents must leave their kids an inheritance. We tried to give them the fundamentals to succeed (whatever that may look like to them), and the rest is up to them.

M&D tried to spend everything - Mom told us the only thing we we'd inherit would be our good looks - but Dad had a pension from his company, and Mom had a pension from the hospital, and they had Social Security, and they had paid off the house long since, and they lived in a pretty cheap place. They travelled quite a bit - Europe a couple times, South America, visiting us kids, etc. They still ended up with enough scratch left for all 6 of us kids to get almost $28K.

genejockey 05-06-22 09:20 AM

Another average day.
Wordle 321 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 05-06-22 09:30 AM

Since I had to get up at 0-Dark:30 this morning to take TOB to work, I decided to try a race on Zwift. Two laps of the Innsbruckring. I think this was my second race as a C. I tried to stick with the lead group, but that wasn't happening. I ended up in a group of mostly Cs which stayed together till just before the "Leg Snapper", which is 1/4 mile of 6.9% average. They dropped me on the approach, and while I caught a number of the riders on the way up, they caught up to me on descent. I held on to them till we got to the same place and this time I didn't have enough left to do the Leg Snapper at the same power, so I never caught them again. Ended up ALMOST dead last. But not quite!!!! One guy slower than me.

I checked the Ds results - I'd have come in second, maybe even been able to duke it out for first, since the gap was only 13 seconds.

Velo Vol 05-06-22 09:31 AM

LesterOfPuppets 05-06-22 09:42 AM

I finally decided to buy a little Shimano stock.

I'll be suggesting they bring back 9 speed DA and Ultegra at the next shareholders meeting. :)

LesterOfPuppets 05-06-22 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22497241)
I finally decided to buy a little Shimano stock.

I'll be suggesting they bring back 9 speed DA and Ultegra at the next shareholders meeting. :)

Oh, and cable actuated disc brakes.

Velo Vol 05-06-22 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22497241)
I'll be suggesting they bring back 10 speed DA and Ultegra at the next shareholders meeting. :)

Fixed.

LesterOfPuppets 05-06-22 09:54 AM

Oof, I already lost 50 cents on it. Maybe I should've waited a couple days for that Pearl Izumi news to settle in.

Bah Humbug 05-06-22 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22497170)
Wealth builds over time in a person's life. Any expectation that a 30 year old will have the same wealth as a 60 year old is rather unrealistic.

I've heard it said that today a lot of young people expect to start where their parents finished. I've had younger lawyers working for me over the years, and have had the experience where they have told me that they expected to be paid the same as I paid myself. That despite having less experience, working and billing less hours, and bringing in no business. A couple of times I've just had to respond by saying that they were welcome to start their own practice and I hoped they were successful.

No. It has accelerated. It is not just time to accumulate.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/09/...us-wealth.html

datlas 05-06-22 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22497265)
Oof, I already lost 50 cents on it. Maybe I should've waited a couple days for that Pearl Izumi news to settle in.

Buy low, sell high.

indyfabz 05-06-22 10:22 AM

Last night the the Phillies were up at home 7-0 at one point and 7-1 at the start of the 9th. They lost the game 8-7. *smh*

Velo Vol 05-06-22 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22497265)
Oof, I already lost 50 cents on it.

Should have bottom fished with PTON

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...299156d452.png