Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Quarq TyreWiz (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1258874)

popeye 09-18-22 05:11 PM

Quarq TyreWiz

Does anyone have experience with the Quarq TyreWiz and Garmin edge? It sounds pretty cool and I could use that information but I'm a weight weenie and it's not so pretty.

terrymorse 09-18-22 05:29 PM

Quarq TyreWiz? Never heard of it, but based on the website description, it's a bluetooth device that transmits tire pressure data to your computer in real time.

Seriously?

What gimmicky doodad will they think of next to separate people from their money?

datlas 09-18-22 05:32 PM

No experience but seems a lot of money for a mostly useless gadget.

You may want to cross-post in electronics forum.

popeye 09-18-22 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22651893)
Quarq TyreWiz? Never heard of it, but based on the website description, it's a bluetooth device that transmits tire pressure data to your computer in real time.

Seriously?

What gimmicky doodad will they think of next to separate people from their money?

Well as a fast descender I thought you would appreciate knowing if you had had tire going down. I ride 50 slow miles 5 days a week with the old woman now that she retired. I would appreciate knowing when a tire was going down and at what rate and if a pinch flat was imminent. It is something I find desirable.

terrymorse 09-18-22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 22651907)
Well as a fast descender I thought you would appreciate knowing if you had had tire going down.

It's quite easy to detect when a tire is losing pressure. Especially when descending or cornering.

I don't need an expensive doodad to tell me something obvious.

big john 09-18-22 05:58 PM

It's a tire pressure sensor. They've been available on cars for years and even required with run-flats. They don't like sealant, at least the automotive ones don't.

tomato coupe 09-18-22 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22651893)

Seriously?

I just bought a bluetooth device that transmits the amount of money in my wallet to my Garmin. It reads zero now.

RChung 09-18-22 06:48 PM

By chance I saw one just a couple of days ago. I was out doing some tests with a guy who wanted to estimate his CdA and Crr so had pruchased a Notio and a TyreWiz (two, actually), so we were discussing it. One TyreWiz was faulty, so he sent it back and was waiting for the replacement. While mentioning that it was a PITA to mount he went to unscrew the little presta nut and the TyreWiz came off in his hand. We decided to run the tests without it.

seypat 09-18-22 06:56 PM

I think a more useful gadget would be something that scans the route in front of you. It detects anything that is going to cause a flat and alerts you before it happens so you can take evasive action. It also sends you a report in future time. Not a major report, though. Something less than that.

jaxgtr 09-18-22 09:09 PM

I saw these things for the first time on last years Paris Roubaix and I had to look them up to see what they were, then was shocked at the cost. I could see if you were racing on the cobbles, but not sure if the cost benefit ratio is quite there for general riders, however, if you feel they are worth it and will give you peace of mind while riding, have at it. Sort of like the peeps that use the Varia, I questioned it until I borrowed one on a ride and realized that I wanted that that peace of mind going forward.

Branko D 09-19-22 07:37 AM

If it was something like 20-30 Euros, yeah, I'd get a couple. Why not? Current prices makes it feel like a rip off, though; digital pressure gauges without BT functionality cost a couple of Euros or something like that.

For me, knowing exact tire pressure while I'm riding would be merely a "nice to know".

Iride01 09-19-22 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 22651907)
Well as a fast descender I thought you would appreciate knowing if you had had tire going down. I ride 50 slow miles 5 days a week with the old woman now that she retired. I would appreciate knowing when a tire was going down and at what rate and if a pinch flat was imminent. It is something I find desirable.

Seems like if you are watching your Garmin or other device for your tire pressure while going down a fast hill then your eyes won't be seeing what you need to see! And at speeds of downhill the wind rustling through my ears will give me no chance of hearing any audible alert.

Personally, I know when my tire pressure is low while riding.

The devices are ant+ as well as BT. But for the Garmin Edge, I think you might have to find or write your own IQ app to get that info on you Garmin Edge.

datlas 09-19-22 08:47 AM

Thought experiment: suppose this gadget was on a kickstarter. Do you think they would get enough people to prepay in order to make it to production?? With the price being about the actual price from Quarq, obv.

I am guessing probably not.

seypat 09-19-22 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22652411)
Thought experiment: suppose this gadget was on a kickstarter. Do you think they would get enough people to prepay in order to make it to production?? With the price being about the actual price from Quarq, obv.

I am guessing probably not.

Then it would have to also be a compression release. I don't think 2 wheelers are available with kickstarters anymore, anyway.

Iride01 09-19-22 11:36 AM

Kickstarter = crowd funding... or so I thought.

Or are you making a poor attempt at humor?

seypat 09-19-22 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22652657)
Kickstarter = crowd funding... or so I thought.

Or are you making a poor attempt at humor?

Maybe. Or maybe I was thinking that the previous post was about putting a tire pressure sensor on a bike trainer wheel like this. Stupid idea. Who knows? Either way, it wasn't about crowd funding. :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-bike-trainer

Racing Dan 09-19-22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22652386)
Seems like if you are watching your Garmin or other device for your tire pressure while going down a fast hill then your eyes won't be seeing what you need to see! And at speeds of downhill the wind rustling through my ears will give me no chance of hearing any audible alert.

Personally, I know when my tire pressure is low while riding.

The devices are ant+ as well as BT. But for the Garmin Edge, I think you might have to find or write your own IQ app to get that info on you Garmin Edge.

Clearly it should just set off an alarm. Watching tyre pressure while riding isn't useful. If I was really concerned flatting while descending at high speed, Id take a stronger tyre over a "you are about to crash" alarm, any day. A tyre that are prone to flatting slowly is likely to instantly flat too. Fun gadget tho but too expensive...

RChung 09-19-22 06:18 PM

I think that since this is the "road cycling" sub-forum, y'all are missing the intended use case. I think the TyreWiz could make sense for CX, MTB, or gravel racing, where the surfaces can be far more variable than we usually see on the road. Especially in CX, you might want to know during test laps how the course is "acting" on that day so you can tune your tire pressure, and in XC MTB where you might want to lower pressure for certain sections and raise it for others.

terrymorse 09-19-22 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RChung (Post 22653085)
I think that since this is the "road cycling" sub-forum, y'all are missing the intended use case. I think the TyreWiz could make sense for CX, MTB, or gravel racing, where the surfaces can be far more variable than we usually see on the road. Especially in CX, you might want to know during test laps how the course is "acting" on that day so you can tune your tire pressure, and in XC MTB where you might want to lower pressure for certain sections and raise it for others.

Presumably, one ought to already know the tire pressure during a ride, as a person normally inflates the tires before rolling out.

Now if you could adjust the tire pressure during a ride without stopping, that could be interesting. But this expensive doodad doesn't appear to do that.

WhyFi 09-19-22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22653109)
Now if you could adjust the tire pressure during a ride without stopping, that could be interesting. But this expensive doodad doesn't appear to do that.

The doodad that does that is a lot more expensive.

jackyharuhiko 09-19-22 08:41 PM

An interesting product until I see the price and reviews.

big john 09-19-22 09:25 PM

I would think a perceptual dullard would welcome the help.;)

Zaskar 09-20-22 06:43 AM

In a car, it's hard to lean over the steering wheel at a light and pinch a tire or look down at it to check the pressure - you know, if it FEELS low. So sure, I like TPMS in the cars. But for $&@# sake, if you can't feel a tire going low on a road bike... come on.

Instead of adding more electronic crap to your bike, try this:
- After you air up your tires to your preferred pressure, feel the tire - like, actually use your fingers and pinch/press the tire to get used to what that ideal pressure feels like.
- Then, as your beginning your ride, look down at your tires - see how much they're bulging
- Now for the advanced stuff ;-) - if you're able, while riding, lift a tire off the ground an inch and feel how it returns. Seriously. Not a bunnyhop - just independently lifting each tire and feeling how it "hits".

The more you pay attention to how those tires feel when you know they're at the right pressure, the easier it will be notice when they're not.

Branko D 09-20-22 06:53 AM

I'll take an actual sensor over feels every time, especially with pump manometers being generally inaccurate, but in this case it's just unreasonably expensive for what it is.

seypat 09-20-22 07:11 AM

Le me make sure I'm reading this correctly. In an XC MTB race, a rider is going to jump off her/his bike and adjust the pressure in her/his tires as the conditions changes. Is that correct? Are we talking about multi day races? I learned something today.