Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What ID do you carry with you on rides? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1269060)

MinnMan 03-19-23 03:02 AM

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

I generally want to have some ID with me on rides, just in case. I always have a copy of my medical insurance card, but also something more official. A very few times over the years I have had reason to interact with police during a ride, and they expect one to have ID.v

At one time, I took my driver's license with me, but switching it back and forth between my jersey and my wallet was a pain. So I started carrying my old *expired* license with me. It still works as ID and there's no requirement that one have a "valid" ID while operating a bicycle.

(also, I always have some cash and usually a credit card. The credit card is one I seldom use for normal transactions, but comes in handy now and again. But now that i can pay for most things with my phone, I am thinking of leaving the cc behind.)

I haven't ridden outdoors in several months, but spring has arrived and out I go. Alas, in the intervening time, my old expired license seems to have gone missing. I'm betting it's in a jersey pocket somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

What do you carry?

downtube42 03-19-23 03:41 AM

I put a RoadID on my wrist years ago, when my wife gave it to me, and have not removed it since. So that's always there.

A couple years ago I ended a ride and wanted a pint from a nearby pub, and they refused to serve me since I had no proof of being over 21. I'm 62. I now carry my driver's license for purposes of post-ride beer. Thinking about it, this may be the only time in 50+ years of cycling that I've actually needed ID while on a ride. Oh, wait, no that's not true. I was stopped by a cop in Florida once and he wanted ID. By law I don't think it was necessary to have, but my day may have gone south if I'd not been carrying it.

Passport when outside the US, but that's primarily for safe storage of the passport rather than for identification.

This topic falls into the category of What might happen and how prepared are you? which is a can of worms of course.

Jeff Neese 03-19-23 05:02 AM

Photocopy of drivers license.

MinnMan 03-19-23 05:11 AM

Photocopy gets wrecked pretty easily, though I suppose it could be laminated.

I'm thinking that a photo of my license on my phone might be the best idea. Would they accept that at a bar?
It's the heath insurance card that people might need to find without my help.

Sy Reene 03-19-23 05:55 AM

both Health Insurance card and DL were photocopied together (duplex) onto one small piece of paper that is folded in the waterproof section of cycling wallet. Another option is I could use my passport card (that you can opt to also get when you get your regular passport).

stevel610 03-19-23 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese (Post 22833709)
Photocopy of drivers license.

me too. Keep it in a ziplock snack sze bag to potect it. Should probably put my wifes phone number on it too.

GhostRider62 03-19-23 07:42 AM

My phone has a copy of my Medicare card. Surprisingly, when you show up to the ER or Trauma Center with broken appendages, they don't ask for ID or your medical insurance. They didn't look for Road ID either. Of course 2 out of 2 is just an anecdote. I carry two Jacksons and two Ben Franklins on most rides and a credit card on long rides. Unlocked phone to call next of kin.

freeranger 03-19-23 07:43 AM

In addition to the ones already mentioned, I carry an Emergency Medical Record "card". Has practically anything an EMS would need to know. :Your doc or insurance provider should be able to provide you with one.

Jeff Neese 03-19-23 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22833711)
Photocopy gets wrecked pretty easily, though I suppose it could be laminated.

I didn't mention that I "laminate" it using heavy-duty clear packing tape. Seal the copy between two layers and cut to size.

Jeff Neese 03-19-23 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by stevel610 (Post 22833746)
me too. Keep it in a ziplock snack sze bag to potect it. Should probably put my wifes phone number on it too.

Yep. The reverse side is "In case of emergency" information. I laminate it using clear packing tape.

ussprinceton 03-19-23 08:36 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f63d29065.jpg

Koyote 03-19-23 08:36 AM

Any ER is legally required to treat an injured person, regardless of insurance status. So, no need to carry an insurance card. You can give them that info later, if need be.

Any LEO can look up your driver's license on their squad car's computer; and since cyclists generally aren't required to have driver's licenses anyway, even that is pretty unlikely to ever happen. So, no need to carry a DL, unless you might want to stop for a beer after riding.

If you want first responders to have a contact name and number or other info, get a Road ID. Something stuffed in your jersey pocket is likely to go unnoticed, or to end up separated from you after, say, being hit by a motor vehicle.

tak2 03-19-23 08:53 AM

I have copies of both sides of my drivers license and an emergency contact card each laminated at a copy shop along with a credit card that I don't otherwise use and some cash in a small wallet. Put this and my cell phone in a small zip lock bag and I am good to go.

Sy Reene 03-19-23 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22833817)
Any LEO can look up your driver's license on their squad car's computer; and since cyclists generally aren't required to have driver's licenses anyway, even that is pretty unlikely to ever happen. So, no need to carry a DL, unless you might want to stop for a beer after riding.

While this may technically be true, I've heard of situations where if you're being ticketed for a violation (eg. running a red or whatnot), and you can't prove your identity, they can confiscate the bike and/or bring you to the station until your identity is verified.

Koyote 03-19-23 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22833817)

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22833861)
While this may technically be true, I've heard of situations where if you're being ticketed for a violation (eg. running a red or whatnot), and you can't prove your identity, they can confiscate the bike and/or bring you to the station until your identity is verified.

I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name. And do you really think a cop wants the hassle of confiscating your bike over a minor issue? I don't.

Also, this might be dependent on the state. In at least one (of the seven) states in which I've lived, there wasn't a requirement to even carry the DL while driving a motor vehicle.

mschwett 03-19-23 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22833880)
I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name…..

pulled over twice on my bike without my DL (don’t carry it) and this is exactly what happened. asked name and address, looked it up, no request for anything else.

Sy Reene 03-19-23 09:39 AM

I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name. And do you really think a cop wants the hassle of confiscating your bike over a minor issue? I don't.

Also, this might be dependent on the state. In at least one (of the seven) states in which I've lived, there wasn't a requirement to even carry the DL while driving a motor vehicle.

Maybe.. if you even have a driver's license. I understood it that if they issue you a ticket, they want to verify who you are and where you live so that in theory it's enforceable. If you don't have a DL or give the name of someone you know who doesn't have a DL (eg. a 15yr old neighbor or a made up name), then what?

jadmt 03-19-23 09:45 AM

I would agree, unless a person is totally being an ass it is simple enough to determine a person's identity as most people have some form of id whether a state id or dl or just a valid address. Now if someone gives conflicting information like two different spellings or DOB's or addresses all bets are off.

Koyote 03-19-23 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by mschwett (Post 22833883)
pulled over twice on my bike without my DL (don’t carry it) and this is exactly what happened. asked name and address, looked it up, no request for anything else.

Yup.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22833885)
Maybe.. if you even have a driver's license. I understood it that if they issue you a ticket, they want to verify who you are and where you live so that in theory it's enforceable. If you don't have a DL or give the name of someone you know who doesn't have a DL (eg. a 15yr old neighbor or a made up name), then what?

Most adults who lack DLs would have state IDs (which are in the same database), I'd be willing to guess. But either way, this is an imaginary problem. The idea that a cop would arrest someone and confiscate a bike over, say, running a red light is pretty far-fetched.

jadmt 03-19-23 09:48 AM

I carry my name and phone (some sort of id card) contact infor for my wife. If I am smucked somewhere I don't want to be a john doe waiting to be identified. and usually my phone so they could call others if my wife did not pick up.

jadmt 03-19-23 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22833885)

most people are not really good liars unless they do it all the time. Most people don't know all that much about others to get addresses and phone numbers correct let alone middle names and DOB's etc.

CAT7RDR 03-19-23 10:05 AM

I carry an expired DL and a credit card in case I need a Uber/Lyft.
All my rides start from and end at home.

MinnMan 03-19-23 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22833911)
I carry an expired DL and a credit card in case I need a Uber/Lyft.
All my rides start from and end at home.

My ID habits began some year ago, when either Uber and Lyft did not exist, or they existed, but I hadn't really tuned in to them (I forget which). So the cc in those days was for a taxi. now, Uber or Lyft would be paid on the phone app, so the cc isn't really needed for that anymore.

But I still carry a credit card b/c, well, $hit happens.

genejockey 03-19-23 10:19 AM

I carry my actual DL, insurance card, credit card, and A Fistful Of Dollars, with my iPhone, in a ziploc snack bag. Takes all of 5 seconds to pull them out of my wallet, and another 5 seconds to put them back after the ride. How much effort is it to pull out your credit card to buy gas? It's about that much effort. And because I do it for every single ride, it's an ingrained habit.

EDIT: If I drive from home to the starting point, I add the car insurance card. If I'm riding after work - which means changing at work, and driving to the start point with my street clothes in a tote bag - I just put my whole wallet in a larger ziploc, because I'm not gonna leave that in the car.

mschwett 03-19-23 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22833925)
I carry my actual DL, insurance card, credit card, and A Fistful Of Dollars, with my iPhone, in a ziploc snack bag. Takes all of 5 seconds to pull them out of my wallet, and another 5 seconds to put them back after the ride. How much effort is it to pull out your credit card to buy gas? It's about that much effort. And because I do it for every single ride, it's an ingrained habit.

oh it’s definitely not the effort for me … it’s the unacceptably high chance/risk that i’ll forget to take it out, wash the shorts with it in there, or not have it when i need it because it’s in one of my pairs of cycling shorts in a pile in the laundry.

maybe i need a credit card / driver’s license domestique!