Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinion on Dodgy Head Tube Cut (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1268573)

CW Zing 03-07-23 01:54 PM

Opinion on Dodgy Head Tube Cut

This frame on eBay is calling my name. Would that little cut on the head tube be an issue with installing a headset?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...abdadcf7f.jpeg

oldbobcat 03-07-23 02:28 PM

I wouldn't touch it. At best it's a weak spot for holding the bearing race in place. At worst it's a potential split or crack, especially if the seating of the race starts to loosen.

Iride01 03-07-23 03:46 PM

If it's only $20 they want for it, it might be worth getting and seeing if it ever becomes an issue. Otherwise I'd hold out for something a little more pristine.

dsbrantjr 03-07-23 04:16 PM

If you decide to buy it, you should consider "stop drilling" the end of that notch so that a crack is less likely to propagate. Stresses will concentrate at that sharp corner, making the radius larger will reduce this.

TiHabanero 03-07-23 04:44 PM

Round out the corners of the cut and weld it. Have a shop face the tube and you have a frame that will probably go for a lot of years. The only issue is the cost of operations, likely could exceed the value of the frame.

FBinNY 03-07-23 05:11 PM

If you have access to a head tube mill, you can quickly mill it down to below the cut and have a nice cheap frame.

Of course, assuming the defect isn’t an indication of poor quality throughout.

If I had the components, ie. to transfer from a crashed bike, I'd go for it.

Kontact 03-07-23 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 22822415)
If you have access to a head tube mill, you can quickly mill it down to below the cut and have a nice cheap frame.

Ding ding. That's the correct answer.

A shop may even do it for less than $40 because it is just aluminum.

I'm assuming that the notch got there because someone wasn't paying attention with a saw or had to cut out a frozen headset - not some sort of crack or defect.

GamblerGORD53 03-07-23 09:25 PM

It's burnt toast. Forget it.

FBinNY 03-07-23 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 (Post 22822618)
It's burnt toast. Forget it.

It's only very slightly burnt. And like with toast it's easily saved by scraping off the burnt part.

A few minutes with a head tube facer and it's like new. The frame is $20, add the cost of the milling, and decide if it's worth to you. Hopefully there's a local bike co-op so the expense is nominal.

In fact, with decent hand skill, you can do the job with a hand file, tri-square, and Sharpie. $20 for a frame, and a learning experience. If you fail with the file, you still have the H/T mill as a fallback.

Mr. 66 03-08-23 08:20 AM

Structurally, it wouldn't bother me at all.

rosefarts 03-08-23 11:20 AM

Did the OP ever say it was $20?

Id give it a go if it were local. I probably wouldn’t pay to ship it.

tFUnK 03-08-23 12:07 PM

That looks like it was put there intentionally🤔

smd4 03-08-23 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. 66 (Post 22822902)
Structurally, it wouldn't bother me at all.

I agree. I can’t imagine where the force would come from to propagate that cut. What if it did turn into a crack? Do people think the frame would eventually split in half lengthwise during a ride? Lots of folks here who are way too skittish.

himespau 03-08-23 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by tFUnK (Post 22823213)
That looks like it was put there intentionally🤔

It does.:foo:

wheelreason 03-08-23 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22823249)
I agree. I can’t imagine where the force would come from to propagate that cut.

The pressed in part that goes there. Final answer.

smd4 03-08-23 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wheelreason (Post 22823298)
The pressed in part that goes there. Final answer.

I would have no problem using it. That aluminum is beefy.

Again, if the crack propagates on a ride, what exactly do you think will happen? What is the progression of events until we get to the unnamed catastrophe that a lot of folks here feel will be the end for this frame? Does it explode? Does the fork fall out? Does the bike split lengthwise, like that car in the old Candid Camera routine?

CW Zing 03-08-23 01:49 PM

Great answers everybody. Thanks. The seller wants $495 (Colnago dream frame)

grumpus 03-08-23 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by CW Zing (Post 22822199)
This frame on eBay is calling my name. Would that little cut on the head tube be an issue with installing a headset?

The cut wouldn't bother me if the frame was cheap enough, but there's something odd going on with the other side of that head tube, and the tool marks inside it are also puzzling.

79pmooney 03-08-23 01:57 PM

$495 + facing to below the saw cut. Done. (If that frame is worth that much to you.) My first thought long before I got to FB's post. You now have the chance to get 1/8" more aero with the bars slammed.

79pmooney 03-08-23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by grumpus (Post 22823321)
The cut wouldn't bother me if the frame was cheap enough, but there's something odd going on with the other side of that head tube, and the tool marks inside it are also puzzling.

I think facing to below the saw cut will eliminate all of that weirdness.

grumpus 03-08-23 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22823329)
I think facing to below the saw cut will eliminate all of that weirdness.

I'm wondering if it's out of round.

GamblerGORD53 03-08-23 02:16 PM

Why isn't anybody asking WTH happened to this bike?? I see the whole right side is scratched. What the hell necessitated the guy sawing the cup off??
As is, there would be NO tension on the headset with that gouge. Is anybody really dumb enough to go ride with a loose steerer??
Yah it's possible to take off that 4 mm.
Post pics of the whole bike.
I can't sell brand new stuff, but here I see all kinds of broken frames getting bought. WTF.

smd4 03-08-23 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 (Post 22823353)
Why isn't anybody asking WTH happened to this bike?? I see the whole right side is scratched. What the hell necessitated the guy sawing the cup off??
As is, there would be NO tension on the headset with that gouge. Is anybody really dumb enough to go ride with a loose steerer??
Yah it's possible to take off that 4 mm.

I also agree facing would solve any real or perceived problems. I don't see a lot of scratches. I see what appear to be a lot of reflections in the glossy paint. I think the cup would be PLENTY tight, so no one would need to be worried about riding with a loose headset.

CW Zing 03-08-23 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 (Post 22823353)
Post pics of the whole bike…

eBay link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20423900788...mis&media=COPY

smd4 03-08-23 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by CW Zing (Post 22823477)

I still don’t think it would be a problem, but up to $495 + shipping seem steep for damaged goods.