Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

JohnDThompson 12-05-14 10:16 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17364481)
Otherwise, you are either going to have go obtain a tool like this:
The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour
take a look at the left-hand column and click on 'parts'

As you can see he does not have it in stock, but at least you know what it looks like.

I have this tool, and to be honest, in my experience it isn't any more effective than using a hammer and punch.

Narhay 12-06-14 12:23 AM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17365495)
Try taking the dust cap off from under the sprocket....on one of my hubs I found it made a large amount of mildly scraping noises....I actually forgot to put it back on one time and the noise went away. Now I have the dilemma of put it back and have it be noisy, or leave it off.....

I had a noisy scraping hub at some parts of the rotation and couldn't tighten the cones without it making noise until I removed the dust cap and cleaned it. There was quite a bit of buildup under there. Put it back on and it has been nice and quiet ever since with properly adjusted cones.

Dan Burkhart 12-06-14 06:53 AM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 17366150)
I have this tool, and to be honest, in my experience it isn't any more effective than using a hammer and punch.

I have one too, and I agree with you assessment. One of my customers gave it to me. I'm glad I didn't shell out for it.

agmetal 12-06-14 09:53 AM


Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 17366313)
I had a noisy scraping hub at some parts of the rotation and couldn't tighten the cones without it making noise until I removed the dust cap and cleaned it. There was quite a bit of buildup under there. Put it back on and it has been nice and quiet ever since with properly adjusted cones.

I'll check this out the next time I have an opportunity to take a good look at it. I don't feel like this would explain the fact that the scraping-while-pedaling part only comes up in the direct drive gear, though. I've been trying to think through what parts only move when pedaling, and I'm having some difficulty visualizing it.

michaelz28 12-06-14 10:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
picked up a 74 sports ..http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=421541http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=421542http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=421543http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=421544

JBC353 12-07-14 09:32 AM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 17366870)
I'll check this out the next time I have an opportunity to take a good look at it. I don't feel like this would explain the fact that the scraping-while-pedaling part only comes up in the direct drive gear, though. I've been trying to think through what parts only move when pedaling, and I'm having some difficulty visualizing it.

My '69 DL1 makes a scraping noise when coasting. There are scuff marks inside the hub shell where it looks like the gear ring is dragging very lightly on one spot.

agmetal 12-07-14 11:29 PM

I popped it open again tonight...didn't see any real wear spots inside the hub shell, but I gave it a bit more thorough of a cleaning than I've done with this hub so far. Interesting note: the '71 hub had no dustcover behind the cog, which I hadn't noticed before...the '63 did. I ended up moving the dustcover to the '71, so we'll see if that does anything. I also noticed a fair amount of dirt and other particulate on various internal surfaces, including the bearings and planet cage, so I gave those a good wipe down as well. Reassembled and re-lubed it all, but haven't had a chance to test ride yet. Hopefully the ride to work in the morning goes well!

Also noticed a little bit of wear on the clutch...nothing really bad, and I haven't had too many clutch related problems, but I swapped it for the '63 hub's clutch since that looked to be in slightly better shape. How much wear is ok before it needs to be replaced?

canrock 12-08-14 01:24 AM

Yes, they are!

markk900 12-08-14 06:17 AM

You guys made me feel guilty about leaving off the dust cover so I did some cleaning and adjusting last night; cover back on, hub clean, no unusual noises so I am happy. Decided to true the back wheel as well since it had a small warp to it.

As to the clutch, I am not an expert but it simply slides to engage and disengage the pawls so I doubt there is much there to wear out or worry about.

noglider 12-08-14 06:50 AM

@markk900, no, the clutch is a wear item. It can require replacement from wear, but I'm not an expert on when. I'd say when it causes a problem.

agmetal 12-08-14 07:11 AM

I did some reading last night, and it looks like clutch only sees any significant wear from high gear, which I'm not using super often and haven't had too many problems with. I'll leave it for now and wait until it causes a problem.

Salubrious 12-08-14 08:23 AM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 17371173)
How much wear is ok before it needs to be replaced?

The AW is known as being pretty reliable. If your hub acts anything different from the usual descriptions under normal use, you have your answer.

agmetal 12-08-14 09:11 AM

Very interesting...after last night's cleaning and re-lubing, it started off fine, then started scraping again after a mile or so of riding. This is pretty much in line with what it's been doing, which makes me think there's some kind of heat expansion going on somewhere...although this morning is the coldest it's been so far this season.

Narhay 12-08-14 03:34 PM

What was the smallest size frame these 3-speeds came in? I have a 19" Sports ladies frame but it's too big for my 5'0" wife.

markk900 12-08-14 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17371553)
@markk900, no, the clutch is a wear item. It can require replacement from wear, but I'm not an expert on when. I'd say when it causes a problem.

Had to go re-visualize it and of course you are right Tom....the clutch transfers the power from the driver so it would be exposed to wear....:backpedal:

agmetal 12-08-14 06:05 PM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 17371851)
Very interesting...after last night's cleaning and re-lubing, it started off fine, then started scraping again after a mile or so of riding. This is pretty much in line with what it's been doing, which makes me think there's some kind of heat expansion going on somewhere...although this morning is the coldest it's been so far this season.

I had a minor epiphany upon leaving work this evening, and I think I know what's wrong. Not gonna post my theory until I've tested it (so probably tomorrow morning), but I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed if it's what I think it is.

nlerner 12-08-14 07:32 PM


Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 17373005)
What was the smallest size frame these 3-speeds came in? I have a 19" Sports ladies frame but it's too big for my 5'0" wife.

Raleigh Colt came in 18" frames, such as this one on eBay.

agmetal 12-09-14 07:53 PM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 17373402)
I had a minor epiphany upon leaving work this evening, and I think I know what's wrong. Not gonna post my theory until I've tested it (so probably tomorrow morning), but I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed if it's what I think it is.

Yeeeaaaaahhhh...I'm a little embarrassed here. Basically, my scraping sound was a product of not having the left side bearing adjusted properly. I was having difficulty fitting the cone wrench between the hub and the spacer washer, and then not getting the lock nut to jam against it tightly enough. As a result, it would feel fine for a little while, and eventually slip out of adjustment and start rubbing...I'm not 100% sure what exact parts were rubbing against each other, but after fighting with the adjustment for a while last night, I had a much smoother ride to and from work, with no scraping in ~18 miles' worth of riding in the rain, along with the bike sitting out in it all day.

noglider 12-10-14 11:14 AM

@agmetal, that's good to know.

Sixty Fiver 12-10-14 05:48 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17371553)
@markk900, no, the clutch is a wear item. It can require replacement from wear, but I'm not an expert on when. I'd say when it causes a problem.

The clutch probably wears faster than anything else but even then you are looking at a long service interval or after subjecting the hub to great deals of abuse and neglect... if you pull apart an AW for servicing and have replacement clutches then it is not a bad idea to replace it since they are not expensive.

arex 12-10-14 05:58 PM

I guess I'm missing something here. The AW's have clutches? I thought they were all-gear.

noglider 12-10-14 07:04 PM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 17379181)
The clutch probably wears faster than anything else but even then you are looking at a long service interval or after subjecting the hub to great deals of abuse and neglect... if you pull apart an AW for servicing and have replacement clutches then it is not a bad idea to replace it since they are not expensive.

Well put. The pawls and pawl springs, on the other hand, are a tougher call, since they're tricky to replace.

Originally Posted by arex (Post 17379205)
I guess I'm missing something here. The AW's have clutches? I thought they were all-gear.

It's not a clutch like a car clutch which you slip in gradually. This one is in or out. But shifting under load will wear it out, especially if the load is high.

JohnDThompson 12-10-14 07:39 PM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 17379181)
The clutch probably wears faster than anything else but even then you are looking at a long service interval or after subjecting the hub to great deals of abuse and neglect...

I've had more problems with axle keys failing than clutches wearing.

Sixty Fiver 12-10-14 08:48 PM

AW clutch

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g...3/S-A_AW-1.jpg

I have dealt with a few broken axle keys too but this is not really a wear issue.

gna 12-11-14 12:14 AM


Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 17373005)
What was the smallest size frame these 3-speeds came in? I have a 19" Sports ladies frame but it's too big for my 5'0" wife.


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 17373645)
Raleigh Colt came in 18" frames, such as this one on eBay.

The Space Rider, which has a 16" frame and 24" wheels, may work for a shorter rider. It might be too small, but there are some petite women who ride them. There's a picture of my daughter with one somewhere in this thread...
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b...0/DSCN1412.JPG

arex 12-11-14 07:20 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17379356)
Well put. The pawls and pawl springs, on the other hand, are a tougher call, since they're tricky to replace.

It's not a clutch like a car clutch which you slip in gradually. This one is in or out. But shifting under load will wear it out, especially if the load is high.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I was picturing a wet clutch that is a "consumable" part.

wahoonc 12-14-14 06:12 AM


Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 17373005)
What was the smallest size frame these 3-speeds came in? I have a 19" Sports ladies frame but it's too big for my 5'0" wife.


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 17373645)
Raleigh Colt came in 18" frames, such as this one on eBay.


Originally Posted by gna (Post 17379978)
The Space Rider, which has a 16" frame and 24" wheels, may work for a shorter rider. It might be too small, but there are some petite women who ride them. There's a picture of my daughter with one somewhere in this thread...
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b...0/DSCN1412.JPG

My wife is a bit over 5' and rides the Colt just fine, I have looked for a Space Rider but haven't had any luck sourcing one. Her beach cruiser has 24" wheels on it, but she does fine on the Colts. She has two Colts now and a Twenty.

Aaron :)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/...e218e71c_c.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2849/...f959177a_c.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2825/...7f69d3e9_c.jpg

Sixty Fiver 12-14-14 07:01 AM


Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 17387865)
My wife is a bit over 5' and rides the Colt just fine, I have looked for a Space Rider but haven't had any luck sourcing one. Her beach cruiser has 24" wheels on it, but she does fine on the Colts. She has two Colts now and a Twenty.

Aaron :)

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2825/...7f69d3e9_c.jpg

My wife and I also have a set of green 20's... can you imagine the double date ?

:D

wahoonc 12-14-14 07:02 AM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 17387913)
My wife and I also have a set of green 20's... can you imagine the double date ?

:D

We definitely would stand out... would that be a herd or a gaggle? :P

Aaron :)

Sixty Fiver 12-14-14 07:29 AM


Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 17387915)
We definitely would stand out... would that be a herd or a gaggle? :P

Aaron :)

I believe a group of 20's is called a clutch.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.