Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

paulb_in_bkln 04-16-21 09:39 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 22017075)
Colt!

The way the rack is mounted on the blue Colt makes me nauseous.

paulb_in_bkln 04-16-21 11:58 AM

"Hey boss. You know that 3-speed shift wire that was too short? Fixed."
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a5f5140ac7.jpg

markk900 04-16-21 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 22017698)
"Hey boss. You know that 3-speed shift wire that was too short? Fixed."
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a5f5140ac7.jpg

As the saying goes, "It ain't stupid if it works"........:eek:

Salubrious 04-16-21 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 22016818)
Gster, all I want is the inner wire. I have plenty of fresh housing. But I can't find a source for just the wire. Well, actually, I noticed that Jagwire offers them in the UK, so I've emailed to ask if they have them available here. My LBS guy tells me he grinds down the nub on a derailleur wire to make it work. I may have to bring a wire over and use his grinder. We'll see.

I just buy shift cable. Ace Hardware sells brass tubing in some really small sizes; I bought some of that and cut it to size, fit it over the shift cable and crush it to swage it to the cable. A little solder doesn't hurt either. Cheap, easy albeit a bit geeky but that is what nutters do.

paulb_in_bkln 04-16-21 01:42 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22017792)
I just buy shift cable. Ace Hardware sells brass tubing in some really small sizes; I bought some of that and cut it to size, fit it over the shift cable and crush it to swage it to the cable. A little solder doesn't hurt either. Cheap, easy albeit a bit geeky but that is what nutters do.

Huh. That is some thin brass tubing. I'll duck in the next time I pass an Ace hardware.

SirMike1983 04-16-21 01:53 PM

There's a Bell Systems crimper tool that makes good crimps for brass hobby tubing over shifter cables.

JohnDThompson 04-16-21 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 22017883)
There's a Bell Systems crimper tool that makes good crimps for brass hobby tubing over shifter cables.

+1. When you crimp something with that bad boy, it stays crimped:

gster 04-16-21 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 22018031)
+1. When you crimp something with that bad boy, it stays crimped:

Hey man!
Don't crimp my style.

thumpism 04-16-21 04:33 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 22017470)
The way the rack is mounted on the blue Colt makes me nauseous.

With the seat slammed there might not be an option. I bet if you raise the seat a little you can make that rack position less sickening but there ain't a whole lot of seat stay to work with. Y'know, there are bigger things to worry about, but they're on BIGGER BIKES!! Gotcha.

cudak888 04-16-21 06:12 PM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 22016960)
I have used stainless shift cables many times. I usually use a a small (1" diameter) stone in my bench drill press to size the end and finish with a file.

An excellent tip; didn't think of reshaping the lead end of a shift cable to slide into the narrow Sturmey receiver.


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 22017075)
Colt!

I'm not as offended by the rack as some others, but I'm almost certain that it is designed to fit a Sports. There's no way that's going to fit right, saddle adjustment or otherwise. The nose of the rack simply doesn't have enough droop.


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 22017314)
This one has 1962 hubs on it....It's funny how some of these bikes will turn up a second time, which often is not the case when you actually find something you want to buy.

I wish 3-speeds would get a sub forum in C&V. I suggested that a couple of years ago, but no dice. This thread alone has thousands of responses. Maybe one day...

'62 sounds right based on that seattube transfer.

A 3-speed subforum? Perhaps a bit too separate, but the amount of discussion here does suggest that a 3-speed subforum would not be wasted (but would it be too divisive?). Still doesn't negate how much I hate this pseudo-Discord thread. Maybe it wouldn't irritate me if they'd just install software to downsize the photos to 600 or 800 pixels or so, with "click for full size" as an option. I have a 2K monitor in the middle of my three-screen setup here, and even then, it's easy to miss text between images.

Still, C&V is second only to Road Cycling for post activity here (2.1 million posts to-date vs. 3.9; we're about half the size), and Road has no subforums, which ought to suggest just how unlikely it'll be that we'll get one. Lousy upper-management.


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 22017698)
"Hey boss. You know that 3-speed shift wire that was too short? Fixed."

Silly unless it was a side-of-the-road repair - at which point, it becomes smart :P


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22017792)
I just buy shift cable. Ace Hardware sells brass tubing in some really small sizes; I bought some of that and cut it to size, fit it over the shift cable and crush it to swage it to the cable. A little solder doesn't hurt either. Cheap, easy albeit a bit geeky but that is what nutters do.

Brass tubing for the shifter end, or the indicator end?

-Kurt

paulb_in_bkln 04-16-21 06:58 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22018233)
Silly unless it was a side-of-the-road repair - at which point, it becomes smart :P

I wouldn't go so far as silly, but I will cop to whimsical.

nlerner 04-16-21 07:17 PM

I learned years back on this list that crimping a #3 fishing leader makes for a nifty cable end.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f9f2926b.jpeg

Unca_Sam 04-16-21 07:30 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22018327)
I learned years back on this list that crimping a #3 fishing leader makes for a nifty cable end.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f9f2926b.jpeg

☝🙂 that right there is the heart of this thread. Thanks for unearthing that gem.

cudak888 04-16-21 07:42 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22018327)
I learned years back on this list that crimping a #3 fishing leader makes for a nifty cable end.

So that's what they are. I've seen them a few times before.

-Kurt

gster 04-17-21 04:09 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22018327)
I learned years back on this list that crimping a #3 fishing leader makes for a nifty cable end.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f9f2926b.jpeg

very clever.

gster 04-17-21 10:21 AM

A Good deal
His and hers 3 speeds offered at $150.00 the pair.
Mens is a CCM (S/A)
and the Ladies a Road King (Shimano)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9be41d141b.png

browngw 04-17-21 11:02 AM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22017792)
I just buy shift cable. Ace Hardware sells brass tubing in some really small sizes; I bought some of that and cut it to size, fit it over the shift cable and crush it to swage it to the cable. A little solder doesn't hurt either. Cheap, easy albeit a bit geeky but that is what nutters do.

I found the thin copper/brass capillary tubing sold at auto stores for things like oil pressure gauges work for cable ends as well. I used leftovers from my Triumph TR7.

arex 04-17-21 01:58 PM

Just got this off of eBay for my wife. '60s Robin Hood. Probably paid too much.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f9b1f6150c.jpg

27inch 04-17-21 01:58 PM

When I was a kid in the 70's there was an old guy who had a backyard motorcycle shop and small machine shop. He worked on mostly older British motorcycles.
He had an old iron mold which was used for molding the ends on m/c brake cables. The mold had several different sizes it could do, including bicycle cable ends. He'd form the ends with zinc. It was similar to a fishing weight or bullet mold. I also seem to remember seeing one in an old JC Whitney catalog back then.

:Looking at the end on a few original cables I've got here, it appears to be just a steel barrel crimped over the cable. I could see he fishing line ferrules working well with some solder to back up the crimp but you would need to find a pretty small ferrule. All of those I have in my tackle box are too big to fit into the shifter.

27inch 04-17-21 02:04 PM

Anyone have a good source for steel 27" rims for a '77 Sprite 27?
I picked up a very clean bike but both rims are rusted through where they sat flat on concrete for decades. The original rims are Endrick style and measure 32mm wide OD and are marked Sturmey Archer near the valve hole. Each rim is rusted away along the very edge where the steel folds over to form the bead area in about an 2" area on both rims. The tires were pretty much melding away, they got sticky like an old rubber band you find after too many years in storage that's melted and stuck to everything.
The bike however was rust free, it was just covered top to bottom in fine sawdust from the guy's table saw about 15 ft away from where it was sitting.
I will also likely lose the self adjusting brake levers in favor of a set of older brakes.

.

cudak888 04-17-21 02:10 PM


Originally Posted by 27inch (Post 22019223)
Anyone have a good source for steel 27" rims for a '77 Sprite 27?
I picked up a very clean bike but both rims are rusted through where they sat flat on concrete for decades. The original rims are Endrick style and measure 32mm wide OD and are marked Sturmey Archer near the valve hole. Each rim is rusted away along the very edge where the steel folds over to form the bead area in about an 2" area on both rims. The tires were pretty much melding away, they got sticky like an old rubber band you find after too many years in storage that's melted and stuck to everything.
The bike however was rust free, it was just covered top to bottom in fine sawdust from the guy's table saw about 15 ft away from where it was sitting.
I will also likely lose the self adjusting brake levers in favor of a set of older brakes.

.

I have a very nice 40H steel Sturmey rear rim for a Sprite 27. Yours for shipping cost. PM me.

-Kurt

27inch 04-18-21 02:28 AM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22019228)
I have a very nice 40H steel Sturmey rear rim for a Sprite 27. Yours for shipping cost. PM me.

-Kurt

Thanks for the offer but both wheels are 36h and super wide. I looked at a few others and they had narrower rims, these are as wide as the Westrick rims on a Sports model.

Hproduguidon 04-18-21 06:02 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0aa6c03a8f.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...adcbf78a23.jpg

cudak888 04-18-21 09:30 AM


Originally Posted by 27inch (Post 22019823)
Thanks for the offer but both wheels are 36h and super wide. I looked at a few others and they had narrower rims, these are as wide as the Westrick rims on a Sports model.

Gotcha. Mine is an Endrick.

-Kurt

thumpism 04-18-21 06:22 PM

Not English but a nice interpretation from the '80s, the Fuji Cambridge III with Sturmey hub and factory rack, baskets and rear axle kickstand. Nice little bike, and it's cheap! I assembled and sold several back then.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...12744683465900

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...54&oe=60A22328

cudak888 04-19-21 06:54 AM

Sturmey hub when Fuji could have gone for the Shimano 333? Interesting. Good on Fuji...

-Kurt

Salubrious 04-19-21 11:52 AM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22018233)
Brass tubing for the shifter end, or the indicator end?

-Kurt

I've used them on both ends. I do a bit of filing so that the ends are nice and spin easily in the cable barrel adjuster. Once crimped they hold together well. I'd not thought of the fishing bits but if made of lead I'd be worried that they would crumble. The brass piping doesn't seem to do that.

thumpism 04-19-21 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22021189)
Sturmey hub when Fuji could have gone for the Shimano 333? Interesting. Good on Fuji.

The derailleur-equipped Cambridge VI has alloy stuff on it; rims, bars, QR front hub, etc,. but they built the III with chromed steel stuff. Shame. Still 27" wheels, though.

vintagebicycle 04-19-21 01:44 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22021189)
Sturmey hub when Fuji could have gone for the Shimano 333? Interesting. Good on Fuji...

-Kurt

I worked in a shop back in the early 80's when those were selling new, many of those came with Suntour hubs, made under license from SA, if not they had a Shimano hub.
They were a good bike, and they outsold the Raleigh models 10 to 1. Mostly because they were cheaper.
They were a step up from the Columbia three speeds they sold for around $99 at the time but the Columbia still outsold everything else because of price.
There were a few levels of these bikes, with the top model having Ukai alloy rims, Suntour 3 speed rear hub, a mid flange front hub, alloy cranks, alloy bars and stem, and stainless fenders. The lesser models had steel rims, steel square taper cranks, and Shimano hubs. There were also earlier models with cottered cranks and steel everything too.

The frames were odd compared to most others, the men's model had a hump back top tube, and the ladies model was sort of a mixte style frame.

Here's a cat. page I found online for '82:


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2d3ccee45e.jpg

thumpism 04-19-21 07:09 PM

Another pair, this time early '60s Hercules Courier his 'n' hers.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...75597379984402

https://scontent.fric1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...84&oe=60A4A22E


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.