Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

indyfabz 04-10-22 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22467884)
About what?

The snow. Caught completely off guard. Tourists.

genejockey 04-10-22 03:40 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22467882)
Wonder if these are any good - sunglasses with integrated mirror.

https://trieye.com/

You mean like The Man With No Eyes?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...414e52159e.jpg

genejockey 04-10-22 03:42 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22467794)
speaking of which, my madone makes a clicking noise when I shake it. Doesnít do it when I donít shake it. Have not been able to isolate the noise. Will spend more time shaking it and get back to you.

"I went to my doctor. I said, 'It hurts when I go like that.' He said, 'Don't go like that.'"

So....don't shake it.

Mojo31 04-10-22 03:46 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22468001)
You mean like The Man With No Eyes?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...414e52159e.jpg

Maybe if you turn them around.

genejockey 04-10-22 04:02 PM

The best laid plans..... Yesterday I decided I wanted to take the Canyon on its first outdoor ride since January 1. It's been on the trainer, since it's CF and can't rust, and I prefer the thru axle adapter to the QR on the trainer. I washed and lubed it, swapped out the rear tire which had gotten a cut that is okay on the trainer but not on the road, and set it up with saddlebag, lights, Varia, etc. last night before bed.

This morning, I head out. I come to the first stop sign, and I notice that the brakes, especially the front, are requiring a surprisingly high amount of pressure to work and then the front one squeals REALLY DAMN LOUD!!! I took it around the block, to see if it got any better. It didn't. I brought it home and used some isopropanol to clean the rotor and the pads. Put it back together and I found I could turn the wheel with the brakes applied, and it squealed when I did this. Grrrrr.

I ended up taking the Litespeed. Now I have to figure out what the hell happened to the brakes on the Canyon! This bike has been mostly on the trainer since January.

bampilot06 04-10-22 04:05 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22467996)
Madone -


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f18c096cd.jpeg

Domane.


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44a84d7e9.jpeg


Not sure how you open that fitting on the Madone or what itís for. It may be where they mount Di2 batteries. You could likely unscrew the plate and take a look, but itís not designed to be regularly opened like on the Domane.

On the Domane, the flat kit is stored under that hatch, but if you look inside on the lower end you can see a bracket for the Di2 battery.

Yep, Di2 access - https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/T...l_577340-3.pdf


you just have an answer for everything.

bampilot06 04-10-22 04:08 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cd8a1e3e02.png


wut

WhyFi 04-10-22 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22467984)
Today I picked up the gravel bike that a friend has been saying he wants to sell but we never got together until today. He lives in Michigan part time and that's where the bike was. He gave me the new set of wheels he bought for it but the rear one won't work because the fins on the rotor hit the caliper, (needs a flat rotor) and the rotor from the old wheel won't go on the new hub. The old hub makes crunchy noises but I set it up and took it for a ride.

I can see the potential for these things. I took it on some mild trails and rode in some grass and on some cobblestone stuff. Much better than a road bike but definitely not a mountain bike. It only has 32mm tires and I put 60 psi to try it out. I didn't want to get over confident and end up on the ground.

The most glaring issue is the gearing. It has a 36x28 low gear. My road bikes have lower gearing and I want a gravel bike to have a low enough gear to go up the dirt roads around here. It has a 110mm bolt circle crank so I don't know how small a ring will fit. It has a 105 rear derailleur but not a long cage so I don't know how big of a cog will work. I see bikes on line with a 30 in front and 32 or 34 in back. That's what I'm thinking.

If I'm going to get one maybe I should just look for a new one. It was fun riding it but it's going to need some money spent after buying it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d4ad46bfff.jpg

Yeah, most gravel bikes are going to come with much lower gearing. Once you add some fattish tires and consider going uphill on a loose surface, 36/28 ain't gonna cut it. I think that 46/30(?) Is more common up front and at least a 34 on the rear.

WhyFi 04-10-22 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22467996)
Madone -


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f18c096cd.jpeg

Domane.


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44a84d7e9.jpeg


Not sure how you open that fitting on the Madone or what itís for. It may be where they mount Di2 batteries. You could likely unscrew the plate and take a look, but itís not designed to be regularly opened like on the Domane.

On the Domane, the flat kit is stored under that hatch, but if you look inside on the lower end you can see a bracket for the Di2 battery.

Yep, Di2 access - https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/T...l_577340-3.pdf

Yup. Previous Domanes, like the one I owned, only had the access panel for Di2, not for storage, so I figured the Madone was the same.

Trsnrtr 04-10-22 04:14 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467759)

While I had my bike in the stand, I also replaced the front brake pads and checked my sealant. I'll call that my spring maintenance and check back in on things in a couple months. :D

I dip-sticker the tires on my Propel and could find no sealant. None. I put 2 oz. Of regular orange seal in. I just donít ride this bike much except on the trainer. I keep debating about putting regular tubes and tires on it just so I donít j have to worry about the sealant drying out.

WhyFi 04-10-22 04:27 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22468040)
I dip-sticker the tires on my Propel and could find no sealant. None. I put 2 oz. Of regular orange seal in. I just donít ride this bike much except on the trainer. I keep debating about putting regular tubes and tires on it just so I donít j have to worry about the sealant drying out.

Yeah, that's the challenge with my gravel bike, as well. When I actually do gravel rides with it, I really want it set up tubeless, but otherwise it sits and tubeless is just extra maintenance.

bampilot06 04-10-22 04:27 PM

I went to Busch Gardens today. We were there for about 3.5 hours. I didnít ride a single ride, and I spent 30.00 dollars. I feel robbed.

Mojo31 04-10-22 04:34 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22468055)
I went to Busch Gardens today. We were there for about 3.5 hours. I didnít ride a single ride, and I spent 30.00 dollars. I feel robbed.

Did the kid? Itís all about the kids.

bampilot06 04-10-22 04:37 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22468062)
Did the kid? Itís all about the kids.


usually sheís pretty stoked and wants to ride everything. Today it was a lot of not wanting to ride the ride until we were already in another country. The she would want to ride the ride. A lot of back tracking, a lot of steps today. Luckily due to the winter like temperatures the park was pretty empty so not a lot of lines. The new roller coaster looks interesting, and today would have been the day to ride it. Roller coasters just donít do it much for me anymore.

rjones28 04-10-22 04:42 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22467945)
Thats what I am thinking. Itís just very noticeable now, I do not remember it before. I hear it when I go over bumps. If I gently pick up the front wheel and let it drop I hear it, If I gently drop the rear I hear it, If I shake the bike lightly I hear it, If I shake the bike violently I hear it. I canít win.

Time to replace the bike.

Mojo31 04-10-22 04:42 PM

Best thing about adult kids is they can take themselves to theme parks.

bampilot06 04-10-22 04:47 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22468068)
Time to replace the bike.


If bikes grew on trees one wouldnít need a money tree.

LAJ 04-10-22 04:48 PM

I rode the GravelKing SS+ tires today. Wonder of wonders, there was a train blocking the street, so I took the dirt up to the end and went around it. They seem to be just what the Doctor ordered and seem fast on the street too. I went 75/65 but I think I can drop it even more.

rjones28 04-10-22 04:54 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22467984)
Today I picked up the gravel bike that a friend has been saying he wants to sell but we never got together until today. He lives in Michigan part time and that's where the bike was. He gave me the new set of wheels he bought for it but the rear one won't work because the fins on the rotor hit the caliper, (needs a flat rotor) and the rotor from the old wheel won't go on the new hub. The old hub makes crunchy noises but I set it up and took it for a ride.

I can see the potential for these things. I took it on some mild trails and rode in some grass and on some cobblestone stuff. Much better than a road bike but definitely not a mountain bike. It only has 32mm tires and I put 60 psi to try it out. I didn't want to get over confident and end up on the ground.

The most glaring issue is the gearing. It has a 36x28 low gear. My road bikes have lower gearing and I want a gravel bike to have a low enough gear to go up the dirt roads around here. It has a 110mm bolt circle crank so I don't know how small a ring will fit. It has a 105 rear derailleur but not a long cage so I don't know how big of a cog will work. I see bikes on line with a 30 in front and 32 or 34 in back. That's what I'm thinking.

If I'm going to get one maybe I should just look for a new one. It was fun riding it but it's going to need some money spent after buying it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d4ad46bfff.jpg

Sounds like a cyclocross bike. Probably has a short cage RD.

Likely will need crank, long cage RD, cassette and chain to achieve "proper" gravel gearing.

Mojo31 04-10-22 05:07 PM

Well, a Longhorn from the real UT won the Masters.

Sheffler and my daughter had classes together in B school.

seedsbelize2 04-10-22 05:18 PM

A conundrum, sort of. My backspace key, and then my enter key have become intermittent. A few minutes ago I discovered it's only on the Brave browser. On Chrome everything works fine. In order to put Brave on the Chromebook, I had to first have Linux. A tangled web. We have one or two it folks here. Any idea where to start?

bampilot06 04-10-22 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22468097)
A conundrum, sort of. My backspace key, and then my enter key have become intermittent. A few minutes ago I discovered it's only on the Brave browser. On Chrome everything works fine. In order to put Brave on the Chromebook, I had to first have Linux. A tangled web. We have one or two it folks here. Any idea where to start?


Whats Linux? and whatís Brave? Iíve seen the disney movie, but I hope that is not what you are referring to.

datlas 04-10-22 05:34 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22468054)
Yeah, that's the challenge with my gravel bike, as well. When I actually do gravel rides with it, I really want it set up tubeless, but otherwise it sits and tubeless is just extra maintenance.

You mean tubeless has some downsides?? :innocent:

big john 04-10-22 05:35 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22468076)
I rode the GravelKing SS+ tires today. Wonder of wonders, there was a train blocking the street, so I took the dirt up to the end and went around it. They seem to be just what the Doctor ordered and seem fast on the street too. I went 75/65 but I think I can drop it even more.

How big are they? The thing I rode today had 32s and they felt firm @60 psi. I felt like they could go quite a bit lower for dirt.

big john 04-10-22 05:40 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22468083)
Sounds like a cyclocross bike. Probably has a short cage RD.

Likely will need crank, long cage RD, cassette and chain to achieve "proper" gravel gearing.

That's what I was afraid of. Then the brake issues need to be sorted, too. I don't know if the new rear wheel he bought will work.

He said I could keep it for a few weeks to decide.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.