Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

LAJ 04-12-22 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22470018)
Depends, but multiple. Some sense more than one thing.

Usually two below water and one at the top of the mast. Another if you have radar.

?
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...48062ae821.jpg

Velo Vol 04-12-22 11:22 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22470033)
That's all you need when you never leave Knox County.

I left Knox County on Sunday. None of that data was required.

phrantic09 04-12-22 11:26 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469908)
Any of you gents sportin a Garmin watch? What do you have and what say you?


My wife has a Vivoactive 4 and loves it

Bah Humbug 04-12-22 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469908)
Any of you gents sportin a Garmin watch? What do you have and what say you?

I have a 945, after a 935 and various before that. Love them. Any specific questions? For cycling alone I'd rather use an Edge, but the moment you add other activities the ForeRunner 9XX line is outstanding.

Mojo31 04-12-22 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22470057)
I left Knox County on Sunday. None of that data was required.

Stuck your toe across that line, did ya?

If you only dip your toes in the pool, you don't need a life jacket either.

Mojo31 04-12-22 11:52 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22470074)
I have a 945, after a 935 and various before that. Love them. Any specific questions? For cycling alone I'd rather use an Edge, but the moment you add other activities the ForeRunner 9XX line is outstanding.

Not really any questions as I'm just starting to take a look at them. A friend, who is a big runner, cyclist, skier, and diver told me I need to get one. Of course, he's much younger and more active/ballsier than I am. He is the "there is no mountain I will not ski down" type.

LesterOfPuppets 04-12-22 11:59 AM

Tre day!

Wordle 297 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 04-12-22 12:15 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469908)
Any of you gents sportin a Garmin watch? What do you have and what say you?

I am rocking the Casio F-91W which I heartily recommend. It's the Saturn of wristwatches. Plastic, durable, works great, and budget-friendly.*

That said, if you want an exhaustive review of Garmin watches, I expect DCRainmaker can give you more info than you care to need. :innocent:

* edit I forgot to mention, state of the art 1990's tech

LesterOfPuppets 04-12-22 12:19 PM

Subaru ass pic of the day, with bonus peccary content:

https://gray-kpho-prod.cdn.arcpublis...UWQBAMCFDI.png

https://www.azfamily.com/2022/04/11/...7ocjyYrh_i3O8k

indyfabz 04-12-22 12:28 PM

It's pack the panniers evening. Poor kitty will likely get sad. He knows what they mean.

Trsnrtr 04-12-22 12:43 PM

PAOTD A friend of mine owns this:

I saw it parked near the start of my ride this morning.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2f5a5cffe.jpeg


Side view:


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4883b28e5.jpeg

datlas 04-12-22 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22470137)
PAOTD A friend of mine owns this:

I saw it parked near the start of my ride this morning.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2f5a5cffe.jpeg


Side view:


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4883b28e5.jpeg

We could form a "Friends with Porsches" club. My friend who has the Taycan and also the Mclaren is away for a few months, I volunteered to babysit the cars but he politely said no. He also has an S-works Tarmac with ZIPP NSW wheels and Di2 58cm which I also offered to babysit, he said no to that too.

p.s. said friend is staying at his place on Mallorca. There is an annual 312 Km ride around the island, and we are all tentatively hoping to do this next year.

Bah Humbug 04-12-22 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22470089)
Not really any questions as I'm just starting to take a look at them. A friend, who is a big runner, cyclist, skier, and diver told me I need to get one. Of course, he's much younger and more active/ballsier than I am. He is the "there is no mountain I will not ski down" type.

So the FirstBeat fields (derived from 24x7 HR monitoring) are very nice, if they work for you (they're a lot better for me than they used to be and are good warnings for whether I'm overcooking myself). Sleep tracking also. The real advantage, though, is that it has a loooong battery life, accurate GPS, and can work with whatever you're doing - swim/ bike/ run, golf, yes diving I think, skiing, hiking, on and on. Without intending to make use of that featureset it's not that compelling; the HR stuff is available on the 245 and probably as accurate on a much-cheaper FitBit. Your friend is the target use case for the 945, and his enthusiasm is warranted for that case.

If you never do anything besides cycling it becomes much less appealing.

Mojo31 04-12-22 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22470141)
We could form a "Friends with Porsches" club. My friend who has the Taycan and also the Mclaren is away for a few months, I volunteered to babysit the cars but he politely said no. He also has an S-works Tarmac with ZIPP NSW wheels and Di2 58cm which I also offered to babysit, he said no to that too.

If you ever get the chance, the one you want to babysit is the McLaren. I'll fly up and help you.

BillyD 04-12-22 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22470007)
I'm a Droid guy, and staunch opponent of anything Apple.

Oh, you and WhyFi, huh. :lol:

genejockey 04-12-22 12:58 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469908)
Any of you gents sportin a Garmin watch? What do you have and what say you?

Nope. 60 year old Elgin Automatic, built in the US of A.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...feb36de4a9.jpg
It tells the time. That's it.

Mojo31 04-12-22 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22470143)
So the FirstBeat fields (derived from 24x7 HR monitoring) are very nice, if they work for you (they're a lot better for me than they used to be and are good warnings for whether I'm overcooking myself). Sleep tracking also. The real advantage, though, is that it has a loooong battery life, accurate GPS, and can work with whatever you're doing - swim/ bike/ run, golf, yes diving I think, skiing, hiking, on and on. Without intending to make use of that featureset it's not that compelling; the HR stuff is available on the 245 and probably as accurate on a much-cheaper FitBit. Your friend is the target use case for the 945, and his enthusiasm is warranted for that case.

If you never do anything besides cycling it becomes much less appealing.

My likely uses would be hiking and potentially sailing. Maybe golf, but I already have a rangefinder that, with a scorecard, gives me virtually all the information I know how to use. We can throw lawn mowing into that as well. ;)

Cycling, I would likely stick with my Edge 1030+ and 520+ for primary data, but could use the watch to supplement it.

I don't run for fun, and swimming usually involves floating on a raft with a cold drink.

Mojo31 04-12-22 01:02 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22470145)
Oh, you and WhyFi, huh. :lol:

No Apple fanboi here! The Cult of Jobs is going to drag you lemmings into the abyss. :innocent:

Mojo31 04-12-22 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22470148)
Nope. 60 year old Elgin Automatic, built in the US of A.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...feb36de4a9.jpg
It tells the time. That's it.

You know with watches the rule is N+10, don't you? No watch guy has just one.

MoAlpha 04-12-22 01:04 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22469980)
What does a boat need a Garmin for?

Our boat?

True wind angle and speed
apparent wind angle and speed
boat speed
speed over ground
GPS course
velocity made good
GPS position
trip distance
depth
sea temperature
compass heading
current set and drift
anchor alarm
autopilot settings, controls, and performance parameters
Time graphs of wind direction and speed

We use an iPad for a chart plotter or that would be part of it, as would radar and AIS if we had them, and these new systems have all kinds of other stuff we don't use.

genejockey 04-12-22 01:07 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22470157)
You know with watches the rule is N+10, don't you? No watch guy has just one.

Dude, I have more than one about my person RIGHT NOW.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e8c65998b6.jpg

Mojo31 04-12-22 01:15 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22470137)
PAOTD A friend of mine owns this:

I saw it parked near the start of my ride this morning.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2f5a5cffe.jpeg


Side view:


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4883b28e5.jpeg

Sweet 930!

datlas 04-12-22 01:36 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22470148)
Nope. 60 year old Elgin Automatic, built in the US of A.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...feb36de4a9.jpg
It tells the time. That's it.

My dad has a watch that looks very much like that, but is electric and makes a high pitched hum. I think it's also about 60 years old. Should I ask him about it?

Trsnrtr 04-12-22 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22470141)
We could form a "Friends with Porsches" club. My friend who has the Taycan and also the Mclaren is away for a few months, I volunteered to babysit the cars but he politely said no. He also has an S-works Tarmac with ZIPP NSW wheels and Di2 58cm which I also offered to babysit, he said no to that too.

p.s. said friend is staying at his place on Mallorca. There is an annual 312 Km ride around the island, and we are all tentatively hoping to do this next year.

This guy owns another Porche, too.

Like I mentioned before, we did a cycling trip in Mallorca in 2001. My wife cried when we had to come home. :D

Trsnrtr 04-12-22 01:41 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22470156)
No Apple fanboi here! The Cult of Jobs is going to drag you lemmings into the abyss. :innocent:

So how many nasty, dangerous Android apps were identified this week? :innocent:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.