Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

LesterOfPuppets 12-28-21 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22354390)
Don't you make more per hour in the office than you would have to pay someone to rake leaves?

He needs that upper body workout!

DougRNS 12-28-21 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22354353)
Off-the-charts productivity today. I accomplished more while DougRNS was napping that he did all day, probably.

I just got done at 9 working from home after dinner, ate lunch at my desk and got to work at my usual 7:15 AM. I was productive due to skill attained from 36 years of working - first in last out. I'm tired of that. I've got about 3 more years to go before I GTFO.

I'm glad you are proud of what you did. No napping today. That is a weekend activity.

DougRNS 12-28-21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22354297)
Non Porsche ass of the day. Celebrity edition.

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...OQ&oe=61CFFF21

Reminds me of this.

Velo Vol 12-28-21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22354390)
Don't you make more per hour in the office than you would have to pay someone to rake leaves?

I do the grounds at the church I attend. It's not strictly an pecuniary decision.

LesterOfPuppets 12-28-21 09:24 PM

The Grio is running snowblower commercials on my TV! I guess they don't do geo-specific ads.

rjones28 12-28-21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22354381)
Five hours in the morning, then almost five hours of office work.

Almost eight hours of office work, with almost an hour of walking with Benson. No leaf raking.

Velo Vol 12-28-21 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22353626)
Meh. Microwave energy causes small but measurable tissue heating with prolonged exposure at cell phone intensities. People, particularly in Europe were up in arms about this back in the 90s. There were many animal and some human studies. I was involved peripherally for a while. Nothing much was found, but the usual sensational sounding results from bad studies continue to be waved around by cranks and, shall we say, “entrepreneurial” researchers. No one in the clinical world is worried about this.

Don’t carry that thing in your underwear until you complete your family.

I'm not a regular consumer of such content, as I want to preserve my remaining brain cells, but the general formulation seems to bring on a pseudo-expert who uses a lot of fancy-sounding terms, carrying little substance. While at the same time avoiding the obvious research question--in this case: Do heavy cell phone users have more brain tumors than non-users?

He could at least framed it that way. Do cell phones cause brain problems? But that would be too pedestrian, so he has to add the coverup dimension to it.

Velo Vol 12-28-21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22354445)
Almost eight hours of office work, with almost an hour of walking with Benson. No leaf raking.

Seems excessive.

genejockey 12-28-21 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22354375)

Great! I'll be able to shower next summer!

rjones28 12-28-21 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22354450)
Seems excessive.

Seemed short.

Velo Vol 12-28-21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22354452)
Great! I'll be able to shower next summer!

Rain currently pounding Velo Vol global headquarters. I could go outside for a cold shower, but am headed to the bathroom for a hot one. Sorry, no photos.

genejockey 12-28-21 10:21 PM

I ran out to Home Despot for acetone and red Scotchbrite pads, and then spent the afternoon first stripping off the old decals with the acetone, then giving the whole frame a nice, even, satiny finish.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3f0b6e00a5.jpg

genejockey 12-28-21 11:13 PM

Working on the finish gave me a chance to go over the frame tube by tube, joint by joint. It's in great shape, and with the finish brushed up it looks NEW. Also went over the fork, which is a TIME carbon fork with a steel steerer, and it's in good shape for its age. If I were made of money, maybe I'd get a new fork. But I'm not!

One thing I did find was that the crown race and the lower cup of the headset both have significant pitting. So, I'll need a new headset, but I can do an interim rebuild with it as it is, and then replace it when I do the Ultimate build.

genejockey 12-28-21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22354463)
Rain currently pounding Velo Vol global headquarters. I could go outside for a cold shower, but am headed to the bathroom for a hot one. Sorry, no photos.

Not sorry.

bampilot06 12-29-21 05:03 AM

Picked up a Varia yesterday. Wife made the joke, “now you will know when your about to get hit”.

I laughed, but there were real tears on the inside.

Reading that canyon thread, makes me glad I did not hold out for the aeroad.

Interestingly enough, my local trek dealer mentioned they were working on getting authorization to work on canyon bikes. So many people are bringing them in with problems in my local area, not sure how all of that works.

Is the warranty void if a LBS works on a canyon?

ls01 12-29-21 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22354573)
Picked up a Varia yesterday. Wife made the joke, “now you will know when your about to get hit”.

Interestingly enough, my local trek dealer mentioned they were working on getting authorization to work on canyon bikes. So many people are bringing them in with problems in my local area, not sure how all of that works.

only if you tell Canyon

ls01 12-29-21 05:20 AM

I might...might....try a ride tonight. I feel pretty good this morning. A bit congested still in the nasal passages but otherwise quite well.

indyfabz 12-29-21 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22354463)
Sorry, no photos.

Phew!

phrantic09 12-29-21 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22354573)

They have recommended local shops and also promote velofix. I’ve never been dissatisfied with Velofix and find that service superior to leaving a bike at LBS for 14 days for a 2 hour service.

ls01 12-29-21 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22354446)
I'm not a regular consumer of such content, as I want to preserve my remaining brain cells, but the general formulation seems to bring on a pseudo-expert who uses a lot of fancy-sounding terms, carrying little substance. While at the same time avoiding the obvious research question--in this case: Do heavy cell phone users have more brain tumors than non-users?

He could at least framed it that way. Do cell phones cause brain problems? But that would be too pedestrian, so he has to add the coverup dimension to it.

Perhaps he is a heavy cell phone user and he did the best he could? Maybe it's an infirmity and he is just misunderstood? Cut the guy some slack! Show a little compassion for crying out loud velo vol.....I wonder how heavy his cell phone actually is.....it must be brutally heavy, made of stone or something...

datlas 12-29-21 06:44 AM

It’s cold and rainy. Still gonna ride.

#HTFU

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 07:02 AM

I'm alive! And reading my phone with no glasses. Perhaps the fever burned through something in there. I still have a sore arm

bampilot06 12-29-21 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22354617)
I'm alive! And reading my phone with no glasses. Perhaps the fever burned through something in there. I still have a sore arm

Why does it seem everybody is sick on this forum?

Must be contagious. Am I infected?

indyfabz 12-29-21 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22354610)

#HTFU

You’re addicted.

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22354466)
I ran out to Home Despot for acetone and red Scotchbrite pads, and then spent the afternoon first stripping off the old decals with the acetone, then giving the whole frame a nice, even, satiny finish.

Seat tube's bent

Trsnrtr 12-29-21 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22354610)

#HTFU

I have retina doctor in the middle of the day so... trainer for me. :(

For those keeping count, I've had 18 eye injections but the doc thinks he may give me eye a rest for a month. I've got my fingers crossed.

Trsnrtr 12-29-21 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22354466)

Sweet. :thumb:

rjones28 12-29-21 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22354628)
Why does it seem everybody is sick on this forum?

Must be contagious. Am I infected?

Maybe

bampilot06 12-29-21 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22354661)
I have retina doctor in the middle of the day so... trainer for me. :(

For those keeping count, I've had 18 eye injections but the doc thinks he may give me eye a rest for a month. I've got my fingers crossed.

that doesn’t sound pleasant.

bampilot06 12-29-21 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22354663)
Maybe

as long as it’s not whatever velo has….