Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Do you really feel you're younger as a result of Bicycling? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220996)

5 mph 01-06-21 05:08 PM

Do you really feel you're younger as a result of Bicycling?

The other night I was driving my 12 year old daughter home from Music Lessons. A big Dodge Ram King Cab , the curse of all Bikers. was behind our car .
About five feet behind me, with big LED headlights that blind you and make your mirrors unuseable. Its lights were so bright, I couldn't use my passenger side mirror to switch lanes.
I finally caught a glimpse of the empty lane and switched lanes.
I said "Charlotte, that guy was pretty rude. What if someone old was driving this car?.They might have panicked." Then I realized the irony of what I said. I'm almost 60 but I visualize myself at 40. just as many of you do.
A lot of that is because of Bicycling.

Tomm Willians 01-06-21 05:45 PM

My wife and I collectively are about 12. Much has to do with cycling, the rest is just who we are.

Trsnrtr 01-06-21 06:03 PM

Yes.

Carbonfiberboy 01-06-21 07:05 PM

Uh . .. You're not old. Maybe that has something to do with it. If you keep riding, you'll get there, don't worry.

5 mph 01-06-21 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 21865901)
Uh . .. You're not old. Maybe that has something to do with it. If you keep riding, you'll get there, don't worry.

thanks!

dmanthree 01-06-21 07:55 PM

No, but I'm in better shape at 66 than some people are at 40. Plus I get to dress like a geek.

jaxgtr 01-06-21 08:39 PM

I am 56, my wife says I am 14 most of the time. :lol:

downtube42 01-06-21 08:56 PM

I've been around 60 years; that's undeniable. I'm as old as I am.

I have a hard time relating to people my age, don't do most of the things people my age do, don't look how most people my age look, and don't feel so different today than I did at 40. And I think my lifelong hobby of cycling is a big part of why.

Bigbus 01-06-21 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 5 mph (Post 21865726)
The other night I was driving my 12 year old daughter home from Music Lessons. A big Dodge Ram King Cab , the curse of all Bikers. was behind our car .
About five feet behind me, with big LED headlights that blind you and make your mirrors unuseable. Its lights were so bright, I couldn't use my passenger side mirror to switch lanes.
I said "Charlotte, that guy was pretty rude. What if someone old was driving this car?.They might have panicked." Then I realized the irony of what I said. I'm almost 60 but I visualize myself at 40. just as many of you do.

Was that you? https://www.ramforum.com/styles/defa...ilies/wave.gif

big john 01-06-21 09:16 PM

I'm not younger because of cycling but doctors have told me I look good for my age. I hate when they say that.

Bigbus 01-06-21 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21866117)
I'm not younger because of cycling but doctors have told me I look good for my age. I hate when they say that.

I like it when girls say it (sadly it just doesn't happen enough anymore) https://www.ramforum.com/styles/defa...ilies/bawl.gif

jaxgtr 01-06-21 11:01 PM

I will say this.....while I was in better overall shape when I was younger, the military will help with that, but when I see people my age that can barely walk or even walk a flight of stairs, I do think that the biking has allowed me to keep my parts moving and loose. While other people struggle doing the little things in life just do to inactivity, I have no issue riding a bike for 60 miles, coming home and mowing 1/3rd acre yard with a push mower without using the propelled wheels, then taking the dog for a 3 mile walk in the same day. I did that last Saturday.

I was waiting to get my hair cut last week, and there is a gamer shop next door, of the 25 people that walked into that store, at least 90% of them were massively overweight, and while I am not superfit 6 pack man, I still do my best to have some physical activity everyday, even if it is no more than doing a 5k dog walk. That is still keeping the legs moving, getting my heart rate up and getting away from the electronics. My wife and I have started doing some yoga to help with stretching which we both hate, but it will help us down the road.

Cyclist0100 01-07-21 05:23 AM

I've been 15 for about 35 years now. Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I'll probably go for a ride and think about it. :ride:

Speedway2 01-07-21 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 21866082)
I've been around 60 years; that's undeniable. I'm as old as I am.

I have a hard time relating to people my age, don't do most of the things people my age do, don't look how most people my age look, and don't feel so different today than I did at 40. And I think my lifelong hobby of cycling is a big part of why.

Ditto to the above.
The only time I really feel my age is after getting off the couch (lying down) and climbing up the stairs hearing my knee(s) "creaking".....

sloppy12 01-07-21 07:28 AM

Depends on how hard or long the ride was.

freeranger 01-07-21 08:39 AM

I believe it was the New England Journal of Medicine that some time ago had an article about bicycling, and that it seemed to slow down the aging process. Would think that any regular exercise would do that, but cycling was specifically discussed. Might be something to it--I've had more than one person ask how old I was, after I'd been trail riding and taken my helmet off while getting a drink and cooling down. Most express surprise that a "senior" is riding the trails they may have just finished riding. BTW--nothing too extreme-at least these days--but not so tame either.

Lakerat 01-07-21 08:40 AM

If fitness is an attribute of youth, then yes. I'm 66 and walked uphill to a neighbors house last night, probably 20 feet of elevation change over a 100 foot walk. I was happy after walking it briskly, no sign of doing anything physical was apparent. If cycling isn't a fountain of youth, it is at least conduit for maintaining mobility.

It's winter and cycling has been quite sporadic over the last month, maybe 3-4 rides during the last 30 days. Probably 10-12 days of ice skating over the last month to supplement fitness, I was amazed at residual fitness shown on my first ride day before yesterday. So fun to feel the wind and be able to ride fast and climb still. Taking up serious cycling in 1975 was certainly a gift.

rydabent 01-07-21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 5 mph (Post 21865726)

Absolutely cycling makes me feel younger.

And no doubt that cycling has kept me young. My doctor tells me that at 82 I am in the 99% percentile for my age.

caloso 01-07-21 01:22 PM

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

Chinghis 01-07-21 01:48 PM

Of course cycling makes you younger. It's all right there in the theory of relativity: Time slows down for objects as they move closer to the speed of light. So, ride as fast as you can as much as possible, and slow down the aging process.

That's what I tell myself, at least.

5 mph 01-07-21 04:41 PM

I plan to do our Roof next summer. Even with my metal shoulder . With the money I save I'd like to take the family on a nice vacation .

davester 01-07-21 04:44 PM

I have the looks and physique of a studly 20-year-old. Unfortunately, the ladies I meet must have something wrong with their eyesight since they fail to recognize that fact.

alo 01-07-21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cycletography (Post 21866389)
I've been 15 for about 35 years now. Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I was 25 for 25 years. When I was around 40, people would ask me how old I was. I would say have a guess. Some would say 20 something. Once I was over 50, and started getting grey hair, I no longer look that young. But many people think I am younger than I actually am. How old you look, depends a lot on your skin and hair. Healthy people do look younger than average.

It has a lot to do with diet and exercise.

I am still young. I have just lived more years than other young people.

bruce19 01-07-21 05:43 PM

I've never felt old. I'm just not as strong or fast. But, in many ways I'm better.