Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Found a bottle of vodka in a dumpster on a ride, you? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254448)

beng1 07-01-22 08:11 PM

Found a bottle of vodka in a dumpster on a ride, you?

It has been a fruitful week. I always check out dumpsters, trash piles etc. when I ride by them because I am tall, and my bike is tall, so often I can roll right up beside even the tall style dumpsters and take a peek over the top. Last week I found a really nice chef's knife laying right on top of the trash in a dumpster,Sunday I found a vintage leather suitcase from Australia, a few days ago I got a 1.7 Liter bottle of Luksusowa vodka, half-full out of another dumpster being used to clean out some old person's estate, and today on the way home just laying on the curb I found a battery hold-down that will fit my 85' GMC cargo van and a chrome lug-nut.

What did you score?

njkayaker 07-01-22 08:21 PM

Yum! Dumpster vodka. You gonna drink it?

cxwrench 07-01-22 08:24 PM

Seriously? You routinely look in dumpsters?

tomato coupe 07-01-22 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by beng1 (Post 22561107)
It has been a fruitful week. I always check out dumpsters, trash piles etc. when I ride by them because I am tall, and my bike is tall, so often I can roll right up beside even the tall style dumpsters and take a peek over the top. Last week I found a really nice chef's knife laying right on top of the trash in a dumpster,Sunday I found a vintage leather suitcase from Australia, a few days ago I got a 1.7 Liter bottle of Luksusowa vodka, half-full out of another dumpster being used to clean out some old person's estate, and today on the way home just laying on the curb I found a battery hold-down that will fit my 85' GMC cargo van and a chrome lug-nut.

What did you score?

Scavenging a half full bottle of cheap vodka out of a dumpster seems ... appropriate.

m.c. 07-01-22 08:36 PM

Riding around town with a big knife and half empty bottle of vodka sounds exciting,

I don’t think I’d touch the knife, I’d be worried it’s a murder weapon.

tkamd73 07-01-22 08:51 PM

Sorry, no dumpsters even close, to where I ride.
Tim

tomato coupe 07-01-22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by m.c. (Post 22561129)
I don’t think I’d touch the knife, I’d be worried it’s a murder weapon.

Now that I think about it, I might have tossed the knife in a dumpster. My memory is a little fuzzy, because I was knee deep in a bottle of vodka afterwards.

Mojo31 07-01-22 09:02 PM

I get my vodka at the liquor store. The dumpster gets the empties.

Seriously, would anyone trust drinking out of an open bottle of anything found in a dumpster?

Camilo 07-01-22 09:23 PM

Any fresh roadkill on the menu?

rsbob 07-01-22 09:25 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4ac890f20.jpeg

dedhed 07-01-22 09:29 PM

I scored a job so I don't have to dumpster dive

70sSanO 07-01-22 09:33 PM

You know stopping at dumpsters along the way will hurt you upcoming time trial.

But on a positive note, the vodka will ease your angst about innovation.

John

roadcrankr 07-01-22 09:34 PM

My only superhero skill involves seeing the dumpster, determining wind direction, and holding my breath - while riding 20mph and within half a second.
I managed to pickup many nice tools and money in the gutter, though, over many years of riding.

Rogerogeroge 07-01-22 09:37 PM

You mentioned yourself ("I") eight times in three sentences. Is it always about you? (Probably, I mentioned "you" twice in two sentences).

On a size note, was that lug nut a 14mm x 1.25 Ball Seat? If so, pm me.

Camilo 07-01-22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22561167)
You know stopping at dumpsters along the way will hurt you upcoming time trial.

But on a positive note, the vodka will ease your angst about innovation.

John

Not to mention his Strava PRs

rsbob 07-01-22 11:02 PM

Many years ago lived in a large condo complex. Before each month end, a retired guy with a pickup truck would dumpster dive the 20 or so. People that were moving would toss all sorts of perfectly good stuff they didn’t want to take with them. He would fill up his truck and then resell the stuff for some nice supplementary income. Since I was poor then, I scored a couple of nice table lamps. I’m wasn’t too proud to dive. Still have one of them in a guest room.

raceboy 07-01-22 11:29 PM

You found a knife in a dumpster? OJ would like to have a word with you.

Chuck M 07-02-22 04:01 AM

The "What have you found on the road" thread is mildly interesting. But I have a hard time understanding the desire to look into dumpsters while riding and being excited over any of the things described in the opening post of this thread.

koala logs 07-02-22 04:46 AM

If you found a big knife in a dumpster, go to the police and tell them you didn't do it.

indyfabz 07-02-22 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Camilo (Post 22561155)
Any fresh roadkill on the menu?

Actually..,In some states it is perfectly legal to eat certain types of roadkill. For example, in Montana you may take home for personal consumption a deer, antelope, moose or elk that you have hit and killed with your vehicle. You must take the entire body. No roadside dressing allowed. You also have to go on line and get what is basically a retroactive permit so the state can keep track of kills.

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

DonkeyShow 07-02-22 05:20 AM

I found a working accordion outside a dumpster once.

Wouldn't drink an unopened bottle of liquor out of a dumpster nonetheless a half full one.

livedarklions 07-02-22 06:06 AM

This has absolutely nothing to do with cycling. You just happen to do your dumpster diving on a bike.

I'd be ok with that if there was anything remotely interesting about this "hobby" of yours.

​​​

bruce19 07-02-22 06:40 AM

I've lost a bottle of vodka while drinking in a dumpster.

GhostRider62 07-02-22 07:00 AM

1985 GMC Cargo van. Does it have the waterbed and lava lamp option?

Scouring the dumpster and scoring the chrome lug nut must have taken a lot of time and work. Congrats!!

indyfabz 07-02-22 07:32 AM

Join date 2014.

First post 2022.

That speaks to me.