Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Encounters with pedestrians and reckless cyclists (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1292184)

b88 04-19-24 12:20 PM

Encounters with pedestrians and reckless cyclists

What was your ridiculous encounters with pedestrians and reckless cyclists putting a damper on an otherwise enjoyable day.

shelbyfv 04-19-24 12:27 PM

Should be enough here to entertain you. A&S

indyfabz 04-20-24 09:30 AM

Why do you ask?

In any event, I don’t let that happen. You shouldn’t either.

_ForceD_ 04-20-24 09:44 AM

Riding along A1A in Ft. Lauderdale during spring break. The city puts up barricades for a few blocks in the heart of the where the spring break action happens…so right in that area you don’t really have to worry about college students stepping into the bike lane. But once you get past the barricades, there are still a few meandering away from the pack who’ll step right into the street without a look. And, every now and then, someone decides it’s OK to ride the wrong direction in the bike lane. — Dan

CAT7RDR 04-20-24 10:24 AM

When I give an honest self-evaluation, all of my accidents on the bike were self-inflicted and preventable.

rsbob 04-20-24 10:54 AM

Last week was doing a climb on a MUP with a blind corner. Just at the apex, a rider came screaming down on my side of the trail forcing me, and him to quickly swerve to avoid a head-on. It happened in a flash. We both corrected and then he was gone. Talk about your life flashing before your eyes.

Have heard of head-ons with nasty results on other trails but this was a first, and hopefully last, for me.

StanSeven 04-20-24 11:37 AM

This really belongs in A&S. Moved from General

Troul 04-20-24 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23219465)
Last week was doing a climb on a MUP with a blind corner. Just at the apex, a rider came screaming down on my side of the trail forcing me, and him to quickly swerve to avoid a head-on. It happened in a flash. We both corrected and then he was gone. Talk about your life flashing before your eyes.

Have heard of head-ons with nasty results on other trails but this was a first, and hopefully last, for me.

usually happens to me once a year. I anticipate that to increase with the E-Bike affordability.

veganbikes 04-20-24 08:28 PM

There is a person who rides down the wrong way on a clearly demarcated bike lane with clear arrows pointing in the direction I am going and the same direction all the other traffic is going. This person has gotten mad at me for point out how dangerous it is and how they have on the other side of the street the exact same bike lane with arrows pointing in the direction they are going. It is quite annoying especially since it is already dangerous enough being so poorly planned and having cars and buses sometimes entering the lane to turn or sometimes delivery morons taking it over. Beyond that and other occasional riders going the wrong way in places really not much. Even more rare there are some pedestrians who jump off their sidewalk to get into the bike lane but I don't see it very often and usually they will get out without much fuss.

Troul 04-21-24 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 23219762)
There is a person who rides down the wrong way on a clearly demarcated bike lane with clear arrows pointing in the direction I am going and the same direction all the other traffic is going. This person has gotten mad at me for point out how dangerous it is and how they have on the other side of the street the exact same bike lane with arrows pointing in the direction they are going. It is quite annoying especially since it is already dangerous enough being so poorly planned and having cars and buses sometimes entering the lane to turn or sometimes delivery morons taking it over. Beyond that and other occasional riders going the wrong way in places really not much. Even more rare there are some pedestrians who jump off their sidewalk to get into the bike lane but I don't see it very often and usually they will get out without much fuss.

it's kinda like a person that tries to claim a public parking spot as a reoccurring thing. You can't do that, yet they get away with it.

I-Like-To-Bike 04-21-24 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23219849)
it's kinda like a person that tries to claim a public parking spot as a reoccurring thing. You can't do that, yet they get away with it.

?:foo: Claim it how? By parking in it?

Troul 04-21-24 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 23219888)
?:foo: Claim it how? By parking in it?

complaining to the local government, vandalizing the other vehicles that occupy the spot, verbally assaulting people that try parking there... the typical Michigan disgruntled resident.

I-Like-To-Bike 04-21-24 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23220015)
complaining to the local government, vandalizing the other vehicles that occupy the spot, verbally assaulting people that try parking there... the typical Michigan disgruntled resident.

Sounds like an isolated personal problem/vendetta.

Troul 04-21-24 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 23220228)
Sounds like an isolated personal problem/vendetta.

worst i've encountered such is at a job that doesnt have assigned parking.