Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's your end goal as a cyclist? Are you doing it just for fun or (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1257570)

Aleksa2 08-27-22 04:54 AM

What's your end goal as a cyclist? Are you doing it just for fun or

Hello once again.
I know, I am full of interesting questions.
And here is another one.
What's your end goal as a cyclist? Are you doing it just for fun? Do you want to become a professional one day? Or you just want to be better than your friends.
I am really curious to know.
Thanks,

alcjphil 08-27-22 04:59 AM

At age 72, a pro contract for me is a non starter

wolfchild 08-27-22 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Aleksa2 (Post 22625516)
What's your end goal as a cyclist?

I don't have any performance goals and I don't follow any structured training....I ride because I enjoy riding. Health benefits and cardiovascular fitness in just a side-effect of cycling. Cycling is a fun way to explore and experience the outdoors and the world around me. I used to be a daily commuter for 12 years and never missed a day. But then I went through a job change and now I only ride for fun and recreation on the weekends.

delbiker1 08-27-22 05:31 AM

I guess my end goal is to keep riding as long as I can. I have long stated that if I make it into the 80s, I hope to still be riding consistently, and now I will add comfortably to that. My three goals now are: attain the 5000 mile mark in 2022, 6th consecutive; for next year, hit the 50,000 mile mark in a 10 year span, 2014 @ 62 yoa - 2023 @ 71yoa; reduce the amount of bike stuff I have, including going from 8 to 2 or 3 bikes, maybe even just one. I am a much more casual, take it easy kind of rider these days. Also, due to physical limitations, I really need to adjust my riding time and miles downward. That is not so easy for me, as I love riding bikes.

seypat 08-27-22 05:36 AM

It's just one of the forms of exercise I do. Nothing more.

If you're into besting the other riders you encounter on your rides, there's a thread in the Road forum for telling your epic stories. Look for the Official CAT6 Racing thread. :D

GhostRider62 08-27-22 05:54 AM

I want to ride 2 up with Greg Lemond in terms of fun

In terms of performance, there is a bike ride next summer that starts on Sunday afternoon that I would like to finish before cocktail hour on Tuesday. Not very quantitative but a goal nonetheless.

BCDrums 08-27-22 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Aleksa2 (Post 22625516)
Hello once again.
I know, I am full of interesting questions.

Sorry, only one troll per person per day. Thanks.

koala logs 08-27-22 06:01 AM

To become a professional zoom rider.

streetsurfer 08-27-22 06:28 AM

“oil can”

It’s my “oil can”. Keeps me from rusting and seizing up.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...177bbb4c2a.gif

Maelochs 08-27-22 06:37 AM

Why would I need a goal?

DonkeyShow 08-27-22 06:42 AM

It's fun and better than doing leg day.

Daniel4 08-27-22 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22625572)
Why would I need a goal?

We should ask drivers that question too.

Maelochs 08-27-22 08:02 AM

Actually I think most drivers do have goals .... destinations .... the whole idea of "pleasure cruises" sort of fell out of fashion several decades ago.

Mostly when I ride my "goal," so to speak, is to end up back where I started, i guess.

terrymorse 08-27-22 08:47 AM

My goal is to stay as fit and as healthy as I can, for as long as I can, and to hold my own on the bike with the “fast old guys”.

I have no intention of aging gracefully.

Daniel4 08-27-22 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22625633)
Actually I think most drivers do have goals .... destinations .... the whole idea of "pleasure cruises" sort of fell out of fashion several decades ago.

Mostly when I ride my "goal," so to speak, is to end up back where I started, i guess.

Sounds the same as any cyclist's goal.

veganbikes 08-27-22 09:54 AM

My goal? I guess to own the dream bike in my head which will become more and more possible as time goes on. If Kindernay can do a 14 speed true thru-axle hub and Rohloff can do electronic shifting both of those things should be able to combine into one and combine with the other visions I have in my head and come out to one really super cool touring/super commuting bike that can do a lot of things.

indyfabz 08-27-22 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22625572)
Why would I need a goal?

mdarnton 08-27-22 10:09 AM

I like riding. It's relaxing me-time, like meditation. I commute (10 miles RT) to save time vs the bus and I save 4 bux a day. I feel better, my physical system stays healthier, my wife likes the way my legs look. When I'm not commuting I can ride around the city aimlessly discovering new places that aren't in my usual path (that was my daily routine during Covid off off time). I'm contributing to the health of the planet. I can make quick and easy visits to places where I'd normally drive and then have to pay $20 to park (Chicago!). I feel like I'm extending the good portion of my life farther into my old age (73 now and no signs of slowing down). What's not to like?

My father rode well into his 80s, 20 miles a day. After a bad hip replacement he had to switch to my mom's one-speed pink Schwinn, but he kept riding the same route every day. My mom worried and hated it, and I told her one day that he'd probably end up under the wheels of a garbage truck some day and that's just the way he wanted to go. When I told him that, he laughed, agreed, and said my mom just didn't get it. Much to his disappointment he went the slow way instead, but it wasn't for his lack of trying!

delbiker1 08-27-22 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22625633)

A damn good goal, at that.

Chuck M 08-27-22 11:04 AM

My goal is to just keep tinkering with old bikes and riding them. It keeps me fit, healthy and somewhat sane.

Brennan 08-27-22 11:09 AM

My usual goal is to just reach point B. I think of cycling primarily as transportation. Secondary use is recreational tool. Another goal is to maintain health and fitness. And also to connect with the world around me while moving through it, instead of being sealed off from it like many other forms or transpo.

Fredo76 08-27-22 12:04 PM

My goal is to ride the bicycle I made in 1976, from my friend's house near Pima and Columbus in Tucson, out to my old stomping ground, Saguaro National Monument (now Saguaro National Park), around the 9 mile one-way loop drive (the best nine miles cycling has to offer, IMO), and back.

After that, I'll hang it up and just take pills for Restless Leg Syndrome... :rolleyes:

05 fuji 08-27-22 12:09 PM

Just for fun. As much fun as I can have!

70sSanO 08-27-22 12:35 PM

It frustrates me to have answer questions about my end goal as a cyclist.

John

bruce19 08-27-22 01:12 PM

Well, at 76 my goal is to embarrass 50 yr olds. But, I'll settle for fitness, health and a good time.