Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Trans Am Bike Race is underway (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232102)

unterhausen 06-06-21 01:52 PM

Trans Am Bike Race is underway

Many Pennsylvania/Virginia randonneurs know De'Anna, she seems to be doing well.

Track leaders:
https://trackleaders.com/transam21

It has been raining pretty much from the start, so the messages from the spot trackers have been irregular, one might say "spotty."

We will find out today or tomorrow that many riders haven't discovered the magic of Lantiseptic, I imagine some are going to drop out due to saddle sores

GhostRider62 06-07-21 03:20 PM

A suggestion or tip to share that worked on TABR for me and probably applicable for other long distance riders. Put spare lantiseptic into a small ziplock snack size bag by turning it inside out, slathering some into the inner part of the bag, reverse and zip. When needed on the road, reverse the bag using the exterior in effect as a medical glove. I know they make single use but how do you reapply in a hygienic manner on the side of the road, I suppose latex gloves.

Why would you reapply on a ride? If I were putting an ice sock or ice panty hose on, I would first lube the hell out of my butt to keep the "wet diaper" from making my butt skin very soft and susceptible to skin abrasion. I saw this first hand Saturday night supporting a 600k. Or if it is raining nonstop, lantiseptic is money.

unterhausen 06-07-21 05:53 PM

I just carry a 4 ounce tube. Bag balm in a reusable hiking tube for less serious issues.

GhostRider62 06-07-21 06:17 PM

Bag balm is a bit easier to work around

I find you have to get in there with the lantiseptic due to its viscosity

CliffordK 06-07-21 06:35 PM

I wish I had seen this earlier. A bunch of riders apparently just passed my house.

It has been cool here, but generally dry so it shouldn't be that bad, at least during the day. I'd imagine a night on the McKenzie pass could be cool.

This certainly would be better than last week when it was in the upper 80's.

rhm 06-08-21 08:45 AM

Thanks for posting this!

I'm not randonneuring this season because I just can't spare the time. Following De'Anna's dot on the screen is the most exciting thing on my computer now, so every now and then I go to Google Earth and try to see what she's seeing. I feel like a stalker!

Here's where she camped out the first night (my best guess, that is):
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...64601e1f_b.jpg

She told me she was going to do this ride touring style, but at 222 miles each day, it looks to me like she's keeping quite a pace... a good randonneuring pace. Whew!

unterhausen 06-08-21 09:45 AM

I have done that with street view, pretty interesting way to see the country.

What I found was that dot watching one rider can be frustrating. The rider I was watching developed Shermer's neck and only made it 1200k.

rhm 06-08-21 09:53 AM

Well, yeah, that would be frustrating! Not that anything like that would ever happen to De'Anna, knock on wood.

unterhausen 06-08-21 10:37 AM

I wouldn't have thought it would happen to the rider I was following either. Not sure you were around when he was active in Eastern PA, he was famous for his weird choices of attire and bicycles on 200k's. I don't think I rode the Halloween 200k when he wore a pink tutu and rode a fatbike, but I do remember another ride when he passed me on his wife's 3 speed Bianchi commuter with the Rollo the clown horn.

79pmooney 06-08-21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 (Post 22092134)
... Or if it is raining nonstop, lantiseptic is money.

As in - you can sell it to your competitors for an exorbitant price?

Lantiseptic is a new name to me. Bag Balm has gotten me through some Cycle Oregons. (Not in this league at all but 2019 was seriously wet. We had no dry gear. Rolled up our wet tents, stuffed them into waterproof bag with all the other stuff that wasn't on our backs and opened that soggy mess that afternoon. Rinse (literally) and repeat.

GhostRider62 06-08-21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22093465)
As in - you can sell it to your competitors for an exorbitant price?

Lantiseptic is a new name to me. Bag Balm has gotten me through some Cycle Oregons. (Not in this league at all but 2019 was seriously wet. We had no dry gear. Rolled up our wet tents, stuffed them into waterproof bag with all the other stuff that wasn't on our backs and opened that soggy mess that afternoon. Rinse (literally) and repeat.

See Urban dictionary definition 16 for money. Basically, of unusual value

unterhausen 06-08-21 04:12 PM

Bag balm is for injuries that you might use chamois cream on but the alcohol would hurt. Minor chafing. Lantiseptic Skin Protectant is almost like putting a bandaid on something, but unlike a bandaid, it sticks.

If you have a saddle sore, it works great. I used to carry all kinds of bandages and then discovered lantiseptic would substitute for pretty much all of them.

GhostRider62 06-10-21 05:53 AM

Is Evan going a lot faster this year or am I mis-remembering? Like half a day faster over Lolo Pass?

unterhausen 06-10-21 02:36 PM

Last I saw he was right about the same time, but that was a day ago or so. They have the 2019 race on trackleaders still if you want to check. Trans Am Bike Race 2019 live tracker by trackleaders.com

rhm 06-10-21 07:25 PM

I'm finding it frustrating, to watch a dot on the screen that hasn't updated in over ten hours! Spot tracker fail?

unterhausen 06-10-21 07:27 PM

Unfortunately, trackleaders doesn't show the battery status that spot uploads. I think she might have forgotten to reset the device.

Bent4life 06-11-21 06:23 AM

Resupply

I was wondering how many small stores, gas stations and restaurants have closed due to Covid? With the scarce populations out west I'm hoping the guys can resupply when they need to. Haven't heard a word about it.

GhostRider62 06-11-21 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 22097069)
I'm finding it frustrating, to watch a dot on the screen that hasn't updated in over ten hours! Spot tracker fail?

Possible SPOT problem. Possible the rider forgot to turn it back on after camping wild. Possible the rider is in a hotel room. Dinner, wash kit, 6-7 hours sleep, eat...could be 10 hours.

rhm 06-11-21 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 (Post 22097420)
Possible SPOT problem. Possible the rider forgot to turn it back on after camping wild. Possible the rider is in a hotel room. Dinner, wash kit, 6-7 hours sleep, eat...could be 10 hours.

All true. It's getting near 24 hours now, though, since the spot died, which was on a climb not long after starting the day. She may have ridden 200 miles since then. At any rate she should be starting her day soon; perhaps the spot will start back up then.

unterhausen 06-11-21 07:16 AM

She posted on facebook 5 hours ago that her tracker is frozen and she just got to lolo

GhostRider62 06-11-21 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 22097477)
All true. It's getting near 24 hours now, though, since the spot died, which was on a climb not long after starting the day. She may have ridden 200 miles since then. At any rate she should be starting her day soon; perhaps the spot will start back up then.

Do you mean De'Anna? She went over Lolo pass? That is one long period of time with no recording.

Kooskia over Lolo is one beautiful road to ride although only one place to stop for food in over 100 miles.

rhm 06-11-21 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 22097479)
She posted on facebook 5 hours ago that her tracker is frozen and she just got to lolo

Ah, thanks, that is what I was expecting.

I guess I have to go on Facebook.

unterhausen 06-11-21 08:51 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a private group, but I can approve you

rhm 06-11-21 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 22097579)
I'm pretty sure it's a private group, but I can approve you

Thanks! I found it; it's public. I'm a big De'Anna fan, not so thrilled about Facebook.

unterhausen 06-11-21 12:43 PM

I'm a little surprised she can't get her device to restart. She said it was the little one that is recharged using USB, whatever that is.