Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   President Fell Getting Off His Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253762)

fat biker 06-19-22 06:22 PM

President Fell Getting Off His Bike

I just saw on ABCNEWS.com that President Biden fell getting off his bike.

Whether you voted for him or not.
Whether you think he is doing a good or lousy job.

I take heart that The President of the United States of America rides a bike, and he is eligible to post in this forum.

fat biker

prairiepedaler 06-19-22 06:44 PM

Bungled the green photo op. Oh well.

Chuck M 06-19-22 07:53 PM

President Bush had an accident while celebrating one of his 50+ birthdays so he too could post about it here.

davester 06-19-22 08:13 PM

It happens to the best of us.

79pmooney 06-19-22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 22547500)
It happens to the best of us.

Won't happen to ex-pres Trump. He publicly vowed he would never get on a bike after learning of this. (And you know, I actually believe him.)

caloso 06-19-22 10:08 PM

It looked like he has toe clips and straps on an old Trek hybrid. He needs some flats.

big john 06-19-22 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22547563)
Won't happen to ex-pres Trump. He publicly vowed he would never get on a bike after learning of this. (And you know, I actually believe him.)

He said the best of us.

Polaris OBark 06-19-22 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 22547574)
It looked like he has toe clips and straps on an old Trek hybrid. He needs some flats.

He needs a modern high-quality bike like the one he gave BoJo.

curbtender 06-19-22 10:37 PM

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/bide...w_RimIiRBHqDz4

work4bike 06-20-22 04:53 AM

This video, from Lanterne Rouge, shows best how he fell

John E 06-20-22 09:56 AM

Nothing wrong with toeclips and straps. That's all I have ridden since 1969.

What I don't understand is why he leaned right after planting his left foot on the ground. I always unclip left, put my left foot down, lean left, and only then worry about pulling my right foot out of the clip.

70sSanO 06-20-22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 22547989)
What I don't understand is why he leaned right after planting his left foot on the ground. I always unclip left, put my left foot down, lean left, and only then worry about pulling my right foot out of the clip.

I still ride toe clips and straps on my road bike. I have ditched the cleats and wear touring shoes.

But I did the same thing once. I’m a right foot down rider. I took my right foot out an inadvertently leaned left. Fortunately I only sustained a bruised ego. But I am more conscious of it and will slightly turn the bars to the right when I stop. The crown of the road does help with this.

John

Pinelander 06-20-22 02:23 PM

I use clipless pedals and have had it happen a few times, once at a traffic light with a big audience. I eventually lightened the spring tension and haven't gotten caught up since. Still, sometimes you're just leaning the wrong way.

Trsnrtr 06-21-22 02:25 PM

An experienced rider fell at a stop light today on our group ride. No big deal. It happens.

Eric F 06-21-22 02:37 PM

Meh. I can top that. I fell over while riding my Zwift rig.

In the middle of a workout, I needed to tip my fan up just a little, and was pretty sure I could just reach it without having to get off by bike. Ummm...yeah...I couldn't. As I toppled over, along came by bike and wheel-on trainer, and I was still clipped into my pedals. I ended up with my left leg trapped between my chainstay and the trainer frame. It f-ing hurt to the point where I thought I might have fractured my leg.

rydabent 06-21-22 03:05 PM

Time for a trike!!!

Kabuki12 06-21-22 07:38 PM

I saw the video and he took it like a champ ‘“I’m ok”!

OldTryGuy 06-22-22 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 22549825)
Well, it’s been a while since we’ve had a “Tombay” thread so it’s about time…….

Maybe if he’d hit his head……

July 4th last year at mile 100 of 102 just 2 miles from home and 6 days before my 71st birthday I had a TOMBAY resulting in a minor Rotator Cuff Tear. Got up, shook it off, rode home and still have issues. Due to the injury I was unable to complete my planned *double age + 1 mile BIRTHDAY RIDE* and was only able to ride 115 miles.

" Maybe if he’d hit his head ... " -- Thankfully my helmet saved me from a noggin injury when it struck terra firma

my delete of non-bicycle script

Trsnrtr 06-22-22 04:59 AM

Politics belong in P&R forum. Please obey the board rules.

GhostRider62 06-22-22 08:33 AM

Trek should send him a new bike, that old POS needs replaced.

I-Like-To-Bike 06-22-22 10:11 AM

Given that President Biden and his wife apparently enjoy casual bicycle riding at a relaxed pace, is there any benefit for him to be using any kind of foot restraint system?

We saw a negative feature on the video and several of the posters state that such trapped foot accidents are to be expected every now and then, even among experienced riders. Potential bicycle falls at slow (or no) speed for elderly people should not be laughed off as cute. Thankfully the President appeared unharmed and I hope he doesn't suffer from any harm or pain that surfaces later from the incident.

mr_bill 06-22-22 02:37 PM

Given that elderly people are often [deleted], they should refrain from commenting on what other elderly people ought to do or ought not do. It’s none of your business.

May you live happily ever after with your flats, now leave the rest of us alone.

The *last* time I pulled a Tombay. Shortly after I got clipless pedals, eight years ago. I did not die.

-mr. bill

Daniel4 06-22-22 04:36 PM

I'd like to still be riding when I'm 80. I wonder if Paul McCartney or Ringo rides and who will make fun of him if he falls.

Road should be safe for everybody regardless if he's 8 or 80.

SparkyBeacon 06-22-22 06:40 PM

I like his helmet. It has a visor and no blocky aero tail.

indyfabz 06-22-22 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 22550882)

Road should be safe for everybody regardless if he's 8 or 80.

Doesn’t look like the road had anything to do with his fall. He gets his left foot out and leans to the left. Them looks like something on his right shoe gets snagged on the cage. He points his right foot down, causing his weight to shift to the right, resulting in the fall.