Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Slippery saddles are better than "sticky" ones. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1268539)

fredlord 03-06-23 11:29 PM

Slippery saddles are better than "sticky" ones.

After riding a couple of bikes with saddles that allow me to squirm around a bit rather than locking me into one position due to the texture of their material, I've decided that slippery is better for me.

Is this a thing or are people generally advised to be locked into one position? I've seen at least one YouTube bike-fitter who says locked-in is best. Not for me!

tFUnK 03-07-23 03:04 AM

In the 90s "anti-slip" saddle surfaces may have been a thing. I've had saddles that had anti-slip surfaces as well as saddles that were more slippery. I personally like a more secure feeling on the saddle and don't really like moving around too much on the saddle, assuming that my fit is dialed in. I think some modern saddles have longer noses that specifically allows the rider to sit more forward for situational use cases (get more aero, for example).

noimagination 03-07-23 06:39 AM

Ideally, you should not need saddle "stickiness" to maintain a proper position on the saddle, and having a more slippery saddle should allow you to more easily shift position as circumstances demand. Me, being a duffer who gets a few thousand miles a year, and who gets tired and lets his form go to heck sometimes, I prefer a medium saddle, a little smooth and a little sticky. Many saddles start out pretty slippery but then moderate to medium after a few hundred miles.

indyfabz 03-07-23 06:53 AM

Yes. Personal preference is a thing, and not just in cycling.

55murray 03-07-23 10:40 AM

Nice to know I am not the only one! I have to have the slip, and more and more saddles these days seem to be built to be the opposite. I've even tried additives to put a slide on a seat but it does not last past one short ride.

Kapusta 03-07-23 11:16 AM

I can’t even remember the last time I sat on a saddle that was “grippy” (vs “slippery”) on any bike I’ve borrowed, rented or demoed.

terrymorse 03-07-23 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by fredlord (Post 22821617)
Is this a thing or are people generally advised to be locked into one position? I've seen at least one YouTube bike-fitter who says locked-in is best. Not for me!

No, an emphatic no.

Locking into one position on the saddle is a sure-fire recipe for saddle sores.

Kapusta 03-07-23 12:33 PM

A couple/few years ago someone came out with a saddle with a ridge poking up in the center that wedged itself in your ass crack. That’s one way to lock you in place.

genejockey 03-07-23 01:00 PM

I bought some bibs a few years back that were great in all respects except one - the fabric was slippery. I kept sliding forward, and had to consciously push myself back on the saddle every couple minutes. I tried roughing up the saddle surface with sandpaper. I tried these shorts on multiple different bikes with at least 4 different models of saddle, but no matter what I did, I kept sliding forward, which didn't happen with any other bibs. I ended up having to chuck them. So, put me on Team Non-Slip. It's not that I want to be locked in, but I want to stay pretty much where I choose to be.

Eric F 03-07-23 01:23 PM

I don't want to be locked down, but I also don't want to be sliding around. I want to move how and when I want to move, and stay put when I want to stay put. Fortunately, that's the case for all the saddles on my various bikes (typical lightweight racing saddles)

50PlusCycling 03-07-23 05:03 PM

A properly adjusted saddle will usually keep you more or less in position, and even slippery saddles start to grip a little more when they get warmed up. Slippery or not, it doesn’t matter so much to me, I get out of the saddle regularly for circulation, and changing positions is easy enough. For the last decade I’ve been using Brooks saddles, which form to the shape of your backside, and will keep you in position.

Gresp15C 03-07-23 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling (Post 22822408)
A properly adjusted saddle will usually keep you more or less in position, and even slippery saddles start to grip a little more when they get warmed up. Slippery or not, it doesn’t matter so much to me, I get out of the saddle regularly for circulation, and changing positions is easy enough. For the last decade I’ve been using Brooks saddles, which form to the shape of your backside, and will keep you in position.

Indeed, I've found that if I have to work to stay in position on a saddle, it's probably adjusted wrong.

downtube42 03-07-23 07:46 PM

Last year I went through a series of test saddles from an LBS, and one of them had a surface that prevented movement. I thought it was awful; I couldn't easily make small adjustments that normally happen without thought. Moving hand position, climbing or descending, or just changing level of effort might lead to a slight shift in position. Not to mention just wanting to move a bit for comfort.

I tend to think if you need a sticky saddle to stay in place, your bike fit is probably off. Bike fit has enough variables it's indistinguishable from magic, IMHO.

SurferRosa 03-08-23 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by fredlord (Post 22821617)
... who says locked-in is best. Not for me!

​​​​​​
Think about the millions (billions?) of saddles Brooks has sold since 1880.

Google tells me they currently make 200,000/yr.

KerryIrons 03-08-23 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22821998)
No, an emphatic no.

Locking into one position on the saddle is a sure-fire recipe for saddle sores.

What he said.

cjenrick 03-08-23 02:33 PM

Butt Butter will work it's way through shorts and make any saddle slippery.
I always have a big oil slick on my seat after every ride. No, it is not from a bad diet.
Wearing through a Brooks saddle into the sticky leather underneath will take your skin off quicker than a wood rasp.

Sy Reene 03-08-23 05:39 PM

One reason I didn't like the rubber Brooks Cambium saddle I had for a bit.

79pmooney 03-08-23 05:54 PM

I liked the suede covered saddles of the early '80s. Nice compromise. Of course, that suede does pull a fast one (slow one?) and becomes ordinary leather.

Gresp15C 03-08-23 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22822705)
​​​​​​
Think about the millions (billions?) of saddles Brooks has sold since 1880.

Google tells me they currently make 200,000/yr.

I think that Brooks may be the oldest bicycle related brand in current use. Does anybody know of an older one?

Sy Reene 03-08-23 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gresp15C (Post 22823539)
I think that Brooks may be the oldest bicycle related brand in current use. Does anybody know of an older one?

Maybe Goodyear or Michelin comes close, though is age supposed to be an indicator of something?

SurferRosa 03-08-23 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22823568)
is age supposed to be an indicator of something?

Success and popularity? :foo:

Sy Reene 03-08-23 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22823589)
Success and popularity? :foo:

I suppose. McDonald's has been around a long time.

SurferRosa 03-08-23 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22823592)
I suppose. McDonald's has been around a long time.

No doubt. But read the op again. He's wondering if he's alone in wanting a saddle he can slide around on.

Brooks, since 1880.

drlogik 03-08-23 07:24 PM

I prefer a saddle that has some slip but not to the point where I'm sliding around. I like to be able to re-position with little effort. I also don't like a saddle that Velcro's my bum in one place.

I don't wear Spandex any more (always slide around on my Brooks) and instead wear Endura Hummvee shorts that allow a bit of slip on my Brooks saddles. I am breaking in a brand new Brooks Swallow saddle and even with those shorts I am sliding around a lot. That will stop once it gets sweated into a bit more though.

I remember back in the 1990's I think it was when non-slip saddles were very popular. I never liked mine because it chafed my bum. It was also hard to re-position on climbs, downhills, corners, etc. My shorts seemed to "stick" to the saddle. No Bueno.

rsbob 03-08-23 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22822138)
I bought some bibs a few years back that were great in all respects except one - the fabric was slippery. I kept sliding forward, and had to consciously push myself back on the saddle every couple minutes. I tried roughing up the saddle surface with sandpaper. I tried these shorts on multiple different bikes with at least 4 different models of saddle, but no matter what I did, I kept sliding forward, which didn't happen with any other bibs. I ended up having to chuck them. So, put me on Team Non-Slip. It's not that I want to be locked in, but I want to stay pretty much where I choose to be.

sounds to me that your saddle it too nose down. I put a level on the nose and highest rear part when I adjust mine.