Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

ofajen 01-04-22 10:20 PM

I managed to get a quick 10 mile ride in after getting work done and before it got dark outside. The next three days it will be below freezing all the time so I wanted to be sure to get out for at least a bit today.

Otto

Troul 01-05-22 09:18 AM

27 Miles I.D.

The Chemist 01-09-22 05:38 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dca8275448.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...addafdcec9.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2892188033.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...94610a3fe4.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9158751542.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a4fd32a4e.jpg

First metric century of 2022. A cool 6C with a few drops of rain here and there. Winds light. A good day out.

beechnutC23 01-09-22 03:22 PM

Managed 27.9 km and 445 m yesterday on "gravel" roads that were covered in hard-packed snow. Temperature was -15C, -22C with wind chill standing still. Variable on the bike depending on speed and effort! The snow was hard-packed and frozen hard so the studs had good grip. Soft mushy snow with the gravel road ruts is more treacherous. Given that our hospitals are overloaded with omicron cases at the moment, I ride when it's really cold and do long walks when it isn't. I don't want to wipe out and end up in the hospital!

In spite of the cold, it was a beautiful day:


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b165a613b6.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...479506ef9.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...751c32a26.jpeg

ofajen 01-09-22 04:58 PM

I did 17 miles yesterday. Only about 10 miles today but it took a while. Colder today at 28 deg F. I got a leak in the rear tire heading out and had to stop four tines to put air in before I got home. Didnít really want to replace a tube in the cold if I didnít have to.

Otto

diphthong 01-10-22 02:59 AM


Originally Posted by beechnutC23 (Post 22367411)
Managed 27.9 km and 445 m yesterday on "gravel" roads that were covered in hard-packed snow. Temperature was -15C, -22C with wind chill standing still. Variable on the bike depending on speed and effort! The snow was hard-packed and frozen hard so the studs had good grip. Soft mushy snow with the gravel road ruts is more treacherous. Given that our hospitals are overloaded with omicron cases at the moment, I ride when it's really cold and do long walks when it isn't. I don't want to wipe out and end up in the hospital!

In spite of the cold, it was a beautiful day:


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b165a613b6.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...479506ef9.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...751c32a26.jpeg

laurentians/laurentides?

diphthong 01-10-22 07:52 PM

37-spot. supposedly 70 degrees but it was mostly cloudy so felt mid-60's mostly. some new streets and some old ones that have only gotten busier/faster.

kahn 01-10-22 11:46 PM

Well, yesterday, actually.

In a take off from Oliver - Sun, GLORIOUS SUN.... Finally, after two weeks of dreck weather.

22.4 miles and 1,184 feet. Those are the snow covered Olympic Mts (Olympic National Park) in the background.

Back to dreck today and rest of week with a possible reprieve on the weekend. And so much snow in the mountains that it can't be used. They did not plow open exit ramps!


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...935e526cd0.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e38533d4b9.jpg

diphthong 01-11-22 08:09 PM

38-spot. low/mid-70's along with low wind. legs destroyed from yday's ride. so out of shape.
great to be out on such a nice day. picked a few spots to put in a respectable effort but mostly
had the phaser set on "cruise."

Troul 01-11-22 08:59 PM

102 Miles I.D. fml.

Troul 01-11-22 09:02 PM


Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22370536)
38-spot. low/mid-70's along with low wind. legs destroyed from yday's ride. so out of shape.
great to be out on such a nice day. picked a few spots to put in a respectable effort but mostly
had the phaser set on "cruise."

I'd take those 70Fs temps right now. Currently seeing single digit mornings & evenings with a midday high peaking high teens. So cold, that it doesn't snow.

diphthong 01-11-22 09:38 PM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22370588)
I'd take those 70Fs temps right now. Currently seeing single digit mornings & evenings with a midday high peaking high teens. So cold, that it doesn't snow.

i get it but i donít get it being a socal native. can only imagine. totally understand why people head for the warmer climes during the winter for a few days or longer. if things were a little less turbulent travel-wise currently, iíd wish you a week in florida, or hawaii, or southern arizona or california.
seems like a lost bike or luggage might be the least of your concerns now tho.

rsbob 01-11-22 10:06 PM

Rode with my virtual buddy, Cadence for 1.5 hours at 23.5 MPH. Went through three large glasses of water and my spouse holding her nose when she popped her head into the pain cave.

Troul 01-11-22 11:26 PM


Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22370614)
i get it but i donít get it being a socal native. can only imagine. totally understand why people head for the warmer climes during the winter for a few days or longer. if things were a little less turbulent travel-wise currently, iíd wish you a week in florida, or hawaii, or southern arizona or california.
seems like a lost bike or luggage might be the least of your concerns now tho.

Doesn't take long before the cold abrasive inhabilitating weather to wear one's mental state thin. Sure, we have three major bodies of fresh water surrounding the sponge state, but I find that to be a threat than a positive. The humidity can be humiliating.
I'd travel by land to mitigate the potential lost luggage.

diphthong 01-11-22 11:50 PM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22370673)
Doesn't take long before the cold abrasive inhabilitating weather to wear one's mental state thin. Sure, we have three major bodies of fresh water surrounding the sponge state, but I find that to be a threat than a positive. The humidity can be humiliating.
I'd travel by land to mitigate the potential lost luggage.

the mental state is questionable to begin with. def don't need the cold and everything that comes along on the ride to wear me down further. was already convinced but now i'm oversold.

generally do too but all of my riding trips are in the (pacific) southwest. equally dreading and looking forward to a potential june/july trip to spain packing the bike.

kahn 01-12-22 08:17 AM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22370586)
102 Miles I.D. fml.

How long did that "expedition" take?

kahn 01-12-22 08:23 AM


Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22370690)
the mental state is questionable to begin with. def don't need the cold and everything that comes along on the ride to wear me down further. was already convinced but now i'm oversold.

generally do too but all of my riding trips are in the (pacific) southwest. equally dreading and looking forward to a potential june/july trip to spain packing the bike.

That sounds exciting - I hope it comes off. We finished the "healthy" era cross-country skiing in the Dolomites in Feb 2020. And while we did not know it - Covid was already there.

We just canceled a trip for next week to Las Vegas which was going to be both hiking and biking. Old folks play it safe!

Troul 01-12-22 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22370904)
How long did that "expedition" take?

I spread that over the course of about 7 hours.

rsbob 01-12-22 11:53 AM

My wife and I should be spending January in the San Luis Obispo area cycling right now to get away from the rain and snow up here is Washington state. However, between Omicron and all the roads and passes being closed due to snow when we were supposed to leave, we will remain here riding our trainers and maybe squeezing in a few days outdoors when the weather abates. It aint all bad.

diphthong 01-12-22 12:08 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22370910)
That sounds exciting - I hope it comes off. We finished the "healthy" era cross-country skiing in the Dolomites in Feb 2020. And while we did not know it - Covid was already there.

We just canceled a trip for next week to Las Vegas which was going to be both hiking and biking. Old folks play it safe!

ah bummer. had a blast riding the red rock canyon loop (just west of town) and the valley of fire state park (north of town) in october. no hiking this trip but love love the northern (higher) part of the spring mountains. very few people up there midweek. hopefully, you can hit the area soonish.

diphthong 01-12-22 12:14 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22371247)
My wife and I should be spending January in the San Luis Obispo area cycling right now to get away from the rain and snow up here is Washington state. However, between Omicron and all the roads and passes being closed due to snow when we were supposed to leave, we will remain here riding our trainers and maybe squeezing in a few days outdoors when the weather abates. It aint all bad.

with all the rain weíve gotten down here, the area is already verdant and green. slo and nearby areas fantastic for riding. hopefully things change for the better and you can make it sooner rather than later.

beechnutC23 01-12-22 07:14 PM


Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22367953)
laurentians/laurentides?

Eastern Townships, not far from the Vermont border!

Yesterday I managed 20 km @ -22C, my coldest ever ride. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. Mostly toes and fingers, the rest was OK, but my Garmin battery went from 100% to 0% in an hour and a half.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ad35bde05.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...90b72a0647.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...742559a380.jpg

rsbob 01-12-22 11:04 PM

Zwift: 33M ID & 2K climbing. 175Watts average 18MPH ave speed, sigh

Troul 01-13-22 05:40 AM

40 Miles I D.

kahn 01-14-22 08:30 PM

Well, finally things added up to a 20+ mile bike ride with about 1,100 feet of gain and a really superb day in the pacific northWET.

Urban/Suburban adventure rolled down past the University of Washington, across the 520 floating bridge and then through the exclusive towns along the east side of Lake Washington where they inform you that you are being video monitored.

Back across the bridge (one of the longest floating bridges)** and then up through the UW campus and home. I did stop to grab a few photos. From the eastside, across the lake to the Olympic Mts and a shot of Mt Baker, a volcano up near the Canadian Border about 90 miles north - a really clear day.

**edited to add: It is the longest floating bridge in the world:
https://www.enr.com/articles/44013-t...s-in-the-world



https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...87472cd812.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...de5df98a93.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e641212d57.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d15f555b40.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.