Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

kahn 09-15-21 10:41 AM

Hey, I just got a report from Gaia and liked its notice.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...da587396dc.jpg

Jedneck 09-15-21 04:35 PM

15.75 miles
18 mph average
pouring rain most ride. Gawd i love ridin in rain

Troul 09-16-21 08:04 AM

45 Miles O.D. & had to format the bicycle's computer after an update...

kahn 09-16-21 12:31 PM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22232320)
45 Miles O.D. & had to format the bicycle's computer after an update...

The second task was probably harder than the first!

Troul 09-16-21 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22232815)
The second task was probably harder than the first!

it was painfully slow waiting for it to do its thing. Learned my lesson on being proactive with updating the thing. lol

kahn 09-16-21 06:28 PM

15.4 with a gain of 787 feet.

mschwett 09-16-21 07:06 PM

squeezed in a quick 21.16 this AM. 1540 climbing.

Trek1100FeltZ5 09-17-21 08:38 AM

38 miles last night after work, no big deal except, except, except...Y-T-D total miles on the car for 2021 = 4,382, Y-T-D total miles on the bike for 2021= 4,384! Finally.
Winter, you thief, who love to get, Sweets into your list, put that in!

Troul 09-17-21 11:16 AM

102 Miles O.D.

Digger6255 09-17-21 11:50 AM

15 miles out and back. Planned on 15 being the turn around but legs felt like noodles after a HiiT session on my Concept 2 rower the night before.

mikeymichaels 09-17-21 02:28 PM

31 miles after work last night. It was a little scary.

The Chemist 09-18-21 02:57 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4962677ba8.jpg

Beautiful sunny day for a ride.

Troul 09-18-21 09:50 AM

Headed out against the wind & returned with 100.1 Miles O.D.

ofajen 09-18-21 11:48 AM

34 miles today. Longest ride since a hard fall about a month ago. Pretty much have my strength back but not quite 100% on cardio. Ive been doing flatter routes to avoid working the hip muscles too hard, but that is changing!

Otto

Gonzo Bob 09-18-21 04:50 PM

20 miles today on a solo ride. Believe it or not, I rode on a few streets I had never ridden before (and I have been in my house for 26 years!). I used Google maps biking option to find them.

biker128pedal 09-18-21 06:02 PM

Took a 45 mile ride this afternoon. Scoping out routes to put together for another metric century and a clover leaf route for a American century.

Good ride but picked up a nail in the rear tire after 25 miles. Felt a thump thump. I guess if I ran tubeless Id just had to add some air. It put a hole on each side of the tube.


https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b8db7aeea.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...472992bb4.jpeg

jaxgtr 09-18-21 06:55 PM


Originally Posted by biker128pedal (Post 22236004)
Took a 45 mile ride this afternoon. Scoping out routes to put together for another metric century and a clover leaf route for a American century.

Good ride but picked up a nail in the rear tire after 25 miles. Felt a thump thump. I guess if I ran tubeless Id just had to add some air. It put a hole on each side of the tube.


https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b8db7aeea.jpeg


It must a day to pick up nails.... I picked this up this 10 penny nail at mile 47, I run tubeless and did not flat, and made it home to finish with 52. Luckily, I was heading toward the house where I was going to take a left to add another 20 to the distance, but, nope.

The only thing showing in my tire was about 1/8th of an inch, but since it was not leaking, I left it alone. I was shocked when I pulled this out of my tire.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d0dba29737.jpg

kahn 09-18-21 10:56 PM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 22236053)
It must a day to pick up nails.... I picked this up this 10 penny nail at mile 47, I run tubeless and did not flat, and made it home to finish with 52. Luckily, I was heading toward the house where I was going to take a left to add another 20 to the distance, but, nope.

The only thing showing in my tire was about 1/8th of an inch, but since it was not leaking, I left it alone. I was shocked when I pulled this out of my tire.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d0dba29737.jpg

I might have to consider tubeless. So over two inches of that thing was embedded in your tire and you did not flat? I can see something like that making mincemeat out of a tube or even a tire. And you left it IN while completing the ride? Is it better to leave things embedded that remove them and allow the compound to fill in? As you might be able to tell, I know almost nothing about tubeless!!!!

jaxgtr 09-18-21 11:44 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22236214)
I might have to consider tubeless. So over two inches of that thing was embedded in your tire and you did not flat? I can see something like that making mincemeat out of a tube or even a tire. And you left it IN while completing the ride? Is it better to leave things embedded that remove them and allow the compound to fill in? As you might be able to tell, I know almost nothing about tubeless!!!!

Yep no flat, I was rather amazed myself. I called my wife at first, but she was with her mom, and figured it would take her longer to take her home and then go get my truck, than it would be to just ride home. I started to see if I could even slide it out before I headed home, but it was really jammed in the dead center of the tire, and it was not budging. So I left alone until I had some pliers to pull it out. Tropical downpours aplenty today and it was in one of these downpours when I picked this up and it made a hell of a racket, I thought something had been jammed between the wheel and the frame. I just did not see the thing as it was in a section of the road that had a lot of standing water that I had no choice but to ride through due to some traffic going by me. However, with all that said, I could have have completed the rest of my planned ride and I don't suspect I would have had any issues, but why play with fire.

This is the first instance that I know of where I have had anything breech the tire. I've only been using tubeless for a year, which is not much in the big scheme of things for a lot of people here. I am glad I left it in though, once I pulled it out, the sealant was not completely closing it up, and dynaplug took a little finagling to get it to stop the bleeding. But once I got that handled, it's fine now. I am still going to take the tire off tomorrow to inspect the rim and the inside of the tire to make sure all is good just do to the size of that thing.

mschwett 09-18-21 11:46 PM

50.26, 3,040 elevation. took it pretty slow, nice to just sightsee a bit.

rsbob 09-18-21 11:49 PM


Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 22230516)
17 long miles :rolleyes:

Was it up hill in a headwind in 4 feet of snow during a blinding blizzard barefoot? Pretty good guess, huh?

rsbob 09-19-21 12:08 AM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22236214)
I might have to consider tubeless. So over two inches of that thing was embedded in your tire and you did not flat? I can see something like that making mincemeat out of a tube or even a tire. And you left it IN while completing the ride? Is it better to leave things embedded that remove them and allow the compound to fill in? As you might be able to tell, I know almost nothing about tubeless!!!!

Rode 7 miles with this nail in my tubeless and measured my pressure when I got home. Lost 2 lbs. Probably could have ridden another 15 with it. Got home put in a tire plug in 2 mins and have ridden it 350 miles with zero issues and no leakage.


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6ebe2492b.jpeg

jaxgtr 09-19-21 06:18 AM

yea I did not measure the pressure, but I would say less than 5 lbs lost if that much. I felt no real difference as far as it being too soft or lack of stability. I did notice the slight bump at first until it shaved off the exposed bits as I rode home.

The Chemist 09-19-21 07:03 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f5f0c7b85.jpg

Troul 09-19-21 10:51 AM

53 Miles O.D.

dennis336 09-19-21 01:19 PM

Did two rides this weekend. Saturday a 36 mile mixed gravel and pavement ride. Very hilly for my conditioning level, with a couple of long gravel climbs, one being very sketchy for my tastes (I printed down the cue sheet from the internet so didn't know what I was getting into).

Then, Sunday, a 43 mile pavement ride. Gentle, rolling hills with the middle section running along the CT shore. The day was perfection.

one4smoke 09-19-21 09:55 PM

30 good-time miles Saturday.

diphthong 09-20-21 07:24 PM

24-spot on a beautiful fall afternoon for a late lunch.

Troul 09-20-21 08:12 PM


Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22238904)
24-spot on a beautiful fall afternoon for a late lunch.

Wed is first day of sadness, don't rush it!

multifrog 09-20-21 10:02 PM

Commuter
 
I put in a solid 15 miles per day commuting plus whatever I can get in on the weekend. I used to live less than a mile from work but I'm actually really appreciating the longer ride. It gets my weekly totals up.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.