Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

big john 11-11-21 07:01 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22304348)
Back in the early 70s, in Sacramento, I bought an old Fairlaine wagon. Why I pulled the valve cover I don't remember, but the mechanism was covered with tar, so thick I can't imagine it was capable of flowing.

I bought an old VW bug, and when the engine started knocking I took it apart. I found someone had used a piece of a beer can as a shim under one of the rod bearings.

genejockey 11-11-21 07:07 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22304378)
There are streets in Dallas named after Tennessee Cities.

Knoxville is one of these.

As it happens, my Dad grew up in Knoxville.

Not Knoxville TN, mind you. Knoxville borough, on the South Side of Pittsburgh. 100 years ago, it was chock full of middle class folks like my Dad's family, who moved there from the working class areas down by the Monongahela, then known as Birmingham. Now Birmingham has become the South Side Flats, and has moved upscale, with lots of folks renovating the mid-19th Century houses there. Meanwhile, Knoxville has become kind of a wasteland.

genejockey 11-11-21 07:10 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22304382)
I bought an old VW bug, and when the engine started knocking I took it apart. I found someone had used a piece of a beer can as a shim under one of the rod bearings.

I used a beer can shim to stop a 27.2 seatpost sliding down the 27.4 seat tube on the Battaglin, before I got a 27.4 seatpost. Mind you, moving that 27.4 seatpost is a chore. 27.2 keeps slipping, 27.4 requires a lot of force to insert or move. I'm thinking it's really a 27.3.

rjones28 11-11-21 07:15 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22304382)
I bought an old VW bug, and when the engine started knocking I took it apart. I found someone had used a piece of a beer can as a shim under one of the rod bearings.

Sounds about right.

Velo Vol 11-11-21 07:42 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22304385)
Meanwhile, Knoxville, PA, has become kind of a wasteland.

Fixed.

Velo Vol 11-11-21 07:45 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22304385)
Not Knoxville TN, mind you. Knoxville borough, on the South Side of Pittsburgh.

:foo:


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1548edbdf3.png

DougRNS 11-11-21 07:58 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22304410)


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22304377)
Map of the Day

11 November 2021

Bobcat habitat


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe9d559539.png

Has the map of the day been superceded?:foo:

Velo Vol 11-11-21 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22304424)
Has the map of the day been superceded?:foo:

Bonus map, an added benefit for all subscribers.

Mojo31 11-11-21 08:03 PM

Happy to be at home. 🥰🥰🥰

Things were dangerously on the edge the last 24 hours.

Mojo31 11-11-21 08:09 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22304302)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f363ab700.jpeg


So this happened today. Velo you would prolly not survive Dallas

Riding around Dallas was pretty awesome. Mojo, 9 am is def the time to be outside in dallas. I went on some major roads today and didnít get harassed by a car once. Felt safe the whole time.


Completely cleaned my headset today and repacked it with grease.

Its still knocking so I think my headset is warped? not sure.

My bike started knocking loud today and I canít figure it out at all. Only makes the noise when I pedal, sounds like it is coming from the rear. The knocking comes and goes, it is not controlled by gear, and it continued to get louder and louder and more consistent by the end of the ride.

I have checked seat, seat post, pedals, crank arms( feel tight by hand), Front chain rings ( feel tight by hand), cassette, and rear wheel. Nothing is lose. No wires are in the way of hitting anything, crank arms arnt hitting anything.
saddlebag isnít hitting anything.

I have ruled everything out.

My rear disc is rubbing a little bit but I donít think that could start a knocking noise 30 miles In. I took it for a test ride and it started again pretty quickly once my cadence increased. It wasnít as loud but it was there.

Could it be the rear wheel bearings? If itís my bottom bracket I will be pissed, but the noise isnít coming from there, and itís not the same as the last time my BB went out.

Was hoping to ride outside tomorrow morning but i donít want my bike to asplode.

Where did you see the kitty?

genejockey 11-11-21 08:10 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22304410)
:foo:


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...72d4f258c0.jpg

genejockey 11-11-21 08:11 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22304406)
Fixed.

More f***ed than fixed.

Mojo31 11-11-21 08:12 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22304378)
There are streets in Dallas named after Tennessee Cities.

Knoxville is one of these.

I know Knox Street, but where is Knoxville Street?

DougRNS 11-11-21 08:12 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e8b59430f4.jpg

Mojo31 11-11-21 08:18 PM

There is a street in Knoxville that is the same name as my street.

Weird.

Velo Vol 11-11-21 08:39 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22304445)
There is a street in Knoxville that is the same name as my street.

Weird.

Volunteer Boulevard?

Mojo31 11-11-21 08:44 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22304463)
Volunteer Boulevard?

That would be universally banned in the great state of Tejas.

bampilot06 11-11-21 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22304434)
Where did you see the kitty?


whatever trail is by the viridian neighborhood.

If I ever move into Dallas, I want to live in that neighborhood. Specifically on the Island.

bampilot06 11-11-21 09:01 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22304438)
I know Knox Street, but where is Knoxville Street?


right next to Chatanooga street.

Mojo31 11-11-21 09:08 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22304487)
whatever trail is by the viridian neighborhood.

If I ever move into Dallas, I want to live in that neighborhood. Specifically on the Island.

Viridian is nice. That's actually in Arlington, home of the Arlington Rangers and Arlington Cowboys.

What did you think of the mup ride (where you saw the kitty)?

bampilot06 11-11-21 09:18 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22304498)
Viridian is nice. That's actually in Arlington, home of the Arlington Rangers and Arlington Cowboys.

What did you think of the mup ride (where you saw the kitty)?


Mup was nice. Iím spoiled where I come from, so 12 miles or whatever it is, hardly seems long enough.

I met a retired aerospace engineer and we rode together for several miles. He was super cool, and I am glad I was with him when I saw the bobcats because I would have freaked the F out of I had been alone.

The first one we came up on was in the middle of the path near the end where the circle is, we came up on two more later.


I Kind of had an idea of where I was gunna go when I set out, but the roads were so empty I kind of just went with out direction. I got on euless and was debating where or not to ride all the way to forth worth, I could see it in the distance. But I was concerned traffic would pick up on the way back, and the wind was pretty gnarly at times.

Then my bike started to sound like it was going to break on me.

MoAlpha 11-11-21 09:23 PM

I am writing to you from Austin Texas tonight.

Mojo31 11-11-21 09:28 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22304503)
Mup was nice. Iím spoiled where I come from, so 12 miles or whatever it is, hardly seems long enough.

I met a retired aerospace engineer and we rode together for several miles. He was super cool, and I am glad I was with him when I saw the bobcats because I would have freaked the F out of I had been alone.

The first one we came up on was in the middle of the path near the end where the circle is, we came up on two more later.


I Kind of had an idea of where I was gunna go when I set out, but the roads were so empty I kind of just went with out direction. I got on euless and was debating where or not to ride all the way to forth worth, I could see it in the distance. But I was concerned traffic would pick up on the way back, and the wind was pretty gnarly at times.

Then my bike started to sound like it was going to break on me.

The mup is sort of short. Some go out there and do 4 or 5 laps. You can go farther west, and there is a way to make it about a 30 mile circle. You can also off into Veridian and go out to the airport area. Ill try to remember to send you that route tommorow. Good thing is that if it's windy it's protected by the trees.

bampilot06 11-11-21 09:29 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22304510)
I am writing to you from Austin Texas tonight.


why? mojo and I are in Dallas, you landed at the wrong airport.

LesterOfPuppets 11-11-21 09:30 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22304435)

I guess Knoxville is overshadowed by Allentown.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.