Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Mojo31 11-12-21 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22305130)
Hey indyfabz do you work for Conrail? There is a set of super-hazardous tracks in West Chester that cross 842. They are not only at a bad angle, but there are huge gaps between the pavement and the rails. Feel free to PM me but is there any way to rattle the powers that be to try to make this safer?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8eaa2cca9e.gif

Mojo31 11-12-21 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22305122)

That's a pot user's pot.

big john 11-12-21 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22305100)
A rare vacation day yesterday where I got a chance to do my own stuff for a small window of time. I did the right thing and went for a ride with a good friend. It's the first time I've been on my bike outdoors in about a month, and was twice as long as I've ridden during that same time frame. About 1:15 into my 2 hour ride, I could feel myself start to bump up against my endurance threshold. We weren't pushing a hard pace, and it wasn't a particularly demanding route, but it was enough to really stretch my current sad level of fitness. All that said, it was really good to be out on the bike again. No softball games for my daughter this weekend, and I'm hopeful to get in a MTB ride.

Plus it's kinda hot. I went out today for about an hour. That extra heat takes a bit out of you, along with the stupid wind. Probably more wind here than at your place,though.
Hoping to get a good ride in tomorrow, road or mtb. Some friends are going to "P12" near Palmdale. Ever ride there?

datlas 11-12-21 01:18 PM

lplo strikes again!

rjones28 11-12-21 01:18 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22305122)
Stock photos?

Stock photo...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...98b8423b8d.png

indyfabz 11-12-21 01:21 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22305130)
Hey indyfabz do you work for Conrail? There is a set of super-hazardous tracks in West Chester that cross 842. They are not only at a bad angle, but there are huge gaps between the pavement and the rails. Feel free to PM me but is there any way to rattle the powers that be to try to make this safer?

Yes. Where on PA 842? They are not ours, but I am curious because an old friend of mine contacted me about something very similar a couple of months ago.

datlas 11-12-21 01:24 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22305155)
Yes. Where on PA 842? They are not ours, but I am curious because an old friend of mine contacted me about something very similar a couple of months ago.

Approx 1458 Wawaset Rd. Here is my attempt to show it to you.

https://goo.gl/maps/jHequq34ygPBQdZS8

p.s. I cannot show picture because I am old. These are treacherous and the site of many bike crashes. I was told they belong to Conrail but IDK.

pps if someone can post the picture that would be helpful

WhyFi 11-12-21 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22305120)
Its interesting how big of a difference between C and D felt. C was fine if my legs were not already tired before I got started. Ended up breaking off with a group and we stayed steadily ahead of the pace maker.

D is sooooo slow. Itís nice for recovery though.

Im tempted to try B when Iím rested to see how long I can hold on.

So with the days I have left to ride this year which is a real rough estimate because I donít know what will happen when I am done with training. Looking like I need 48 miles a day.

Yeah, you should jump on the B ride sometime when you're not feeling too fatigued. I think you're right there. You'll need to pay attention so that you don't get spilt from the group draft and then pace yourself well up whatever hills are there - I know how you like the Zwift hills. :p

Eric F 11-12-21 01:29 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22305146)
Plus it's kinda hot. I went out today for about an hour. That extra heat takes a bit out of you, along with the stupid wind. Probably more wind here than at your place,though.
Hoping to get a good ride in tomorrow, road or mtb. Some friends are going to "P12" near Palmdale. Ever ride there?

It was warm, but not too bad yesterday. We had a breeze that was pleasant, but not enough to make it a battle.

The only riding I've done on the Palmdale side is the Devil's Punchbowl Road Race, and that was a very long time ago.

datlas 11-12-21 01:30 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22305155)
Yes. Where on PA 842? They are not ours, but I am curious because an old friend of mine contacted me about something very similar a couple of months ago.

Is your old friend named Michelle B? She told me she knows a lawyer who might be able to help with this crossing.

WhyFi 11-12-21 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22305160)
Approx 1458 Wawaset Rd. Here is my attempt to show it to you.

https://goo.gl/maps/jHequq34ygPBQdZS8

p.s. I cannot show picture because I am old. These are treacherous and the site of many bike crashes. I was told they belong to Conrail but IDK.

pps if someone can post the picture that would be helpful

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...74aa84566f.jpg

genejockey 11-12-21 01:33 PM

Today in Gross Stupidity - people who had to get vaxxed are trying to 'undo the effects'.

I can guarantee you that if you get the shots, then sit in a bath of epsom salts, bentonite, and borax, that you will not be magnetic. Also true if you skip the bath.

genejockey 11-12-21 01:35 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22305165)

That's pretty much the angle of tracks that took me down that one time, years ago. Front wheel followed the tracks - suddenly - and the bars kept doing straight, and I hit the pavement. Low speed, and nobody saw, but it was still embarrassing.

indyfabz 11-12-21 01:36 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22305164)
Is your old friend named Michelle B? She told me she knows a lawyer who might be able to help with this crossing.

Yep. I identified the operator and sent her a link with instructions on how to commence both formal and informal complaints to the PA Public Utilities Commission about the dangerous nature of the crossing. (The PUC has jurisdiction over public highway-railroad grade crossings.) I think she wrote that she was going to get some help from someone to start an informal complaint. (Don't think I still have the last email she sent me.)

BTW...The operator is East Penn Railway. Reporting marks are ESPN. I kid you not.

datlas 11-12-21 01:50 PM

The tracks above are incredibly evil. I crashed on them once, several years ago....they were wet and another cyclist in front of me went down, so I had to abruptly change my line, so (of course) I also went down. I really try to avoid them. I am fine with tracks that are perpendicular to the road, but ones like these are no bueno, especially if wet.

WhyFi 11-12-21 01:59 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22305181)
The tracks above are incredibly evil. I crashed on them once, several years ago....they were wet and another cyclist in front of me went down, so I had to abruptly change my line, so (of course) I also went down. I really try to avoid them. I am fine with tracks that are perpendicular to the road, but ones like these are no bueno, especially if wet.

On the group ride, we go though a double diamond interchange that passes under the interstate... and there are light rail tracks running between the two twisting lanes of traffic, so we have to go over them twice. :rolleyes: I hate that stretch.

indyfabz 11-12-21 02:10 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22305160)
I was told they belong to Conrail but IDK.

People think we own a lot of stuff that we never did or no longer do. I think think we owned the line at one point then transferred it to SEPTA. It was operated by several different companies and then bought by East Penn sometime after it took over freight operations in 2004.

Michelle sent me a photo of a nearby crossing with what looks like a nice StarTrack crossing surface. That was probably installed with the help of state funding. We sometimes get grants to rehab/upgrade crossings in both PA and NJ.

https://oldcastleinfrastructure.com/...rossing_01.jpg

BillyD 11-12-21 02:12 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22305181)
The tracks above are incredibly evil. I crashed on them once, several years ago....they were wet and another cyclist in front of me went down, so I had to abruptly change my line, so (of course) I also went down. I really try to avoid them. I am fine with tracks that are perpendicular to the road, but ones like these are no bueno, especially if wet.

On a quiet road like that I take the time to adjust my line and slowly cross the tracks as perpendicular as possible. Even if in a group, slowing down beats going down.

Of course if there's oncoming vehicular traffic your options are more limited.

datlas 11-12-21 02:20 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22305195)
People think we own a lot of stuff that we never did or no longer do. I think think we owned the line at one point then transferred it to SEPTA. It was operated by several different companies and then bought by East Penn sometime after it took over freight operations in 2004.

Michelle sent me a photo of a nearby crossing with what looks like a nice StarTrack crossing surface. That was probably installed with the help of state funding. We sometimes get grants to rehab/upgrade crossings in both PA and NJ.

https://oldcastleinfrastructure.com/...rossing_01.jpg

That is a better solution, although ideally I wish the RR would change the approach from both sides so the crossing is closer to perpendicular from the road.

The tracks in question are hazardous not only because of the angle but also the huge gaps between the asphalt road and the tracks. The combination is not good. I avoid this crossing, but if I have to cross it nowadays I often will stop/put a foot down.

BillyD 11-12-21 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22305167)

"Then, she recommends adding in one cup of borax, a cleaning agent that’s been banned as a food additive by the Food and Drug Administration, to “take nanotechnologies out of you.”"

https://i.imgur.com/NnNY0JK.gif

It's literally frightening to realize we have people as ignorant as this walking surreptitiously amongst us. Lots of them.

MoAlpha 11-12-21 02:36 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22305146)
Plus it's kinda hot. I went out today for about an hour. That extra heat takes a bit out of you, along with the stupid wind. Probably more wind here than at your place,though.
Hoping to get a good ride in tomorrow, road or mtb. Some friends are going to "P12" near Palmdale. Ever ride there?

Out in back of Palmdale where the turkey farmers run?

big john 11-12-21 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22305162)
It was warm, but not too bad yesterday. We had a breeze that was pleasant, but not enough to make it a battle.

The only riding I've done on the Palmdale side is the Devil's Punchbowl Road Race, and that was a very long time ago.

P12 is in the Quartz Hill area. Miles of non-technical trails. It's where this picture was taken, a picture I post too much.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4c0d504aba.jpg

datlas 11-12-21 02:39 PM

Tomorrow's forecast is looking wetter by the hour. :notamused:

seedsbelize2 11-12-21 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22305107)
I went out on the Ironman this morning. A sweet bike. Fastest time on that particular route. Fastest average and top speed. I'm glad I gave it another shot.

And it was shod with Gatorskins and running a chain that I forgot to lube after a de-greasing. It was quite noisy.

big john 11-12-21 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22305215)
Out in back of Palmdale where the turkey farmers run?

I don't know about that but there were some turkey farms in Lockwood Valley. Might still be there.
Lockwood Valley:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a698f6418.jpg

Here is my old mtb @8900 feet with Lockwood Valley in the background.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...84fe703113.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.