Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 11-22-21 02:23 PM

Speaking of Rapha and their sizing, my order just showed up. The jersey is as expected, but the Technical T-Shirt, size Large, is too big. :mad: Will have to start the exchange process.

big john 11-22-21 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22316798)
There was even a Shelby version that's more rare.

https://static.motor.es/fotos-notici...01522809_2.jpg

WhyFi 11-22-21 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22316792)
I don't recall ever buying anything at REI.

Not very granola crunchy, eh?

Velo Vol 11-22-21 02:28 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22316806)
There's one in your town: 6700 Papermill Drive, Knoxville, TN 37919

We know.

Fun Fact: The store sites on the site that used to have a Hills store back in the day.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a27ece73bd.png

(Google image, not the store referred to above)

indyfabz 11-22-21 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22316772)
How much is the "dividend"?

It's 10% on full priced stuff you buy from REI.

I get 5% on sale stuff you buy there with their card.

The credit card earns me 1% on all other non-REI purchases. Their credit card used to be better. Once they offered 2% on grocery purchases for something like a year. I cleaned up that year. Now, when they have increased percentages on things it only kicks in above a stupid level of charges to your card in a month. I am talking like $3,000 or more.

genejockey 11-22-21 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22316810)
Speaking of Rapha and their sizing, my order just showed up. The jersey is as expected, but the Technical T-Shirt, size Large, is too big. :mad: Will have to start the exchange process.

I find sizing of cycling gear to be really confusing, though of course I'm not the only one. I've been wearing Louis Garneau bibs for years, always in XL. This year, having lost 30 lbs, I bought some in L. They fit in the shoulders and the crotch, but the legs look like women's shorts! Like, at least 3" shorter in the leg! So, I just wear those on the trainer where nobody can see my tan lines.

In Jerseys, I have Pearl Izumi L, Giro XL, and Castelli XXL, which all fit the same.

I have a pair of Sidi shoes in 46 which fit great, so I bought another pair of Sidis in 46 that are a bit large.

It really makes buying bike clothes online a crap shoot.

MoAlpha 11-22-21 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22316788)
Sure don't see many of these beauties these days.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c3a816b74.jpg

I had one for a year or so in the 80s. It was my internship year and I had no time or energy to shop around so I bought the cheapest thing in the classifieds. God, what a dog! I took it to Tom Magliozzi at the Good News garage in Cambridge for an accelerator pump and he was merciless. LSS wouldnít get into it, much less drive it. I had it towed away when it totally **** the bed.

Velo Vol 11-22-21 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22316788)
Sure don't see many of these beauties these days.

For good reason.

genejockey 11-22-21 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22316807)
We used to call them "ominous".

I remember those because the family of a girl I dated in college had one. That, and one of those enormous late-70s Chrysler New Yorkers. I don't remember whether it had the crushed velour upholstery, though. I don't think it was the top-of-the-line trim, so maybe it didn't have the full "bordello" treatment.

WhyFi 11-22-21 02:43 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22316772)
How much is the "dividend"?


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22316822)
It's 10% on full priced stuff you buy from REI.

And keep in mind, Vol, that to qualify for the dividend, you only need to pop for a one-time $20 membership.

On that note, I saw online that some people buy their (young) children memberships, just so they can get additional cracks at member perks, like the 20% off coupons. :lol:

Yes, I'm thinking about getting memberships for my children. :p

Mojo31 11-22-21 02:47 PM

Remember the Merkur? When those hit the stores, I wanted one in a really bad way.

Looking back, I ask myself, was your taste really that bad?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...63cb16eca4.jpg


Thing is about as pretty as an Aztec.

rjones28 11-22-21 02:51 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22316621)
On yesterday's ride I think I unintentionally ended up in somebody's d**k measuring competition. A couple guys on newer, nicer bikes than I was on, looking significantly more fit and less fat than I. I wasn't trying to beat them or anything, it's just they were going slower than I wanted to, twice (because a short detour I took put me behind them again), and then, because the wind was behind me and I was on a long down hill segment, I just got in the drops and rode tempo for about 3 miles, at the end of which, they passed me, and since I was stopping for water anyway, that's the last I saw of them. They didn't give me "The Look" or anything, so maybe it was just a coincidence, but it SEEMED like they were trying to prove they were faster than a 64 year old fat guy on a 40 year old bike....

Turns out I got a PR on the 'tempo' segment, which is not too shabby, considering I was on a 40 year old bike and Strava says I've ridden that segment 255 times.

Kudos

WhyFi 11-22-21 02:52 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22316830)
I find sizing of cycling gear to be really confusing, though of course I'm not the only one. I've been wearing Louis Garneau bibs for years, always in XL. This year, having lost 30 lbs, I bought some in L. They fit in the shoulders and the crotch, but the legs look like women's shorts! Like, at least 3" shorter in the leg! So, I just wear those on the trainer where nobody can see my tan lines.

In Jerseys, I have Pearl Izumi L, Giro XL, and Castelli XXL, which all fit the same.

I have a pair of Sidi shoes in 46 which fit great, so I bought another pair of Sidis in 46 that are a bit large.

It really makes buying bike clothes online a crap shoot.

Yeah. I think that a big part of the problem is that we're playing with less room for error than typical apparel, so deviations that might not raise an eyebrow elsewhere can be really noticeable. That and there's the ever expanding 'Murican Sizing vs that of other markets and there's 'Murican Sizing creeping in to some other markets, so it's all a cluster****.

Velo Vol 11-22-21 02:55 PM

You save 100% on the stuff that you don't buy. #MathFact

WhyFi 11-22-21 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22316861)
You save 100% on the stuff that you don't buy. #MathFact

We don't condone stealing, you criminal scum.

rjones28 11-22-21 03:04 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22316788)
Sure don't see many of these beauties these days.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c3a816b74.jpg

They're probably safely tucked away in garages. One sold on BAT for like $27k a couple of months ago.

My FIL had the plain vanilla Plymouth version of that car, BITD.

Eric F 11-22-21 03:09 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22316830)
I find sizing of cycling gear to be really confusing, though of course I'm not the only one. I've been wearing Louis Garneau bibs for years, always in XL. This year, having lost 30 lbs, I bought some in L. They fit in the shoulders and the crotch, but the legs look like women's shorts! Like, at least 3" shorter in the leg! So, I just wear those on the trainer where nobody can see my tan lines.

In Jerseys, I have Pearl Izumi L, Giro XL, and Castelli XXL, which all fit the same.

I have a pair of Sidi shoes in 46 which fit great, so I bought another pair of Sidis in 46 that are a bit large.

It really makes buying bike clothes online a crap shoot.

Clothing sizing, in general, is a crapshoot. The tight fit of cycling clothing allows for less margin of error in either direction.

genejockey 11-22-21 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22316858)
Yeah. I think that a big part of the problem is that we're playing with less room for error than typical apparel, so deviations that might not raise an eyebrow elsewhere can be really noticeable. That and there's the ever expanding 'Murican Sizing vs that of other markets and there's 'Murican Sizing creeping in to some other markets, so it's all a cluster****.

Then there's how tight it's supposed to fit. I bought a "Tour de Zwift jersey last year from Le Col, carefully studying their sizing chart. It was a reasonable price with discount and I wanted more light-colored jerseys. Dang thing is skin tight! But I think that's how it's supposed to fit. So I just wear it for Zwifting.

It's difficult finding jerseys that 1) don't flap, but 2) don't look like body paint.

genejockey 11-22-21 03:16 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22316870)
Clothing sizing, in general, is a crapshoot. The tight fit of cycling clothing allows for less margin of error in either direction.

I think it's worse for women. They have a single number that is supposed to cover the entire range of women's shapes and sizes, and the number doesn't even relate to any real measurement. At least mens's shirts come in neck and sleeve measurements.

big john 11-22-21 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22316840)
I remember those because the family of a girl I dated in college had one. That, and one of those enormous late-70s Chrysler New Yorkers. I don't remember whether it had the crushed velour upholstery, though. I don't think it was the top-of-the-line trim, so maybe it didn't have the full "bordello" treatment.

I took driver training in a Plymouth Fury in high school. The thing was huge and 6 of us fit in it easily. They didn't have a steering wheel for the instructor, just a brake pedal. Anytime one of us screwed up the instructor would jump on the brake pedal. I used ot call those cars "3/4 ton cars".
Charles Phoenix said they were the only car named after anger.
https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...900-jpg.81411/

WhyFi 11-22-21 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22316877)
It's difficult finding jerseys that 1) don't flap, but 2) don't look like body paint.

Yes, that's a tricky balancing act. Fortunately, I have finally reached a point where my weight loss line has plunged below my IDGAF threshold, which makes things easier.

genejockey 11-22-21 03:42 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22316896)
I took driver training in a Plymouth Fury in high school. The thing was huge and 6 of us fit in it easily. They didn't have a steering wheel for the instructor, just a brake pedal. Anytime one of us screwed up the instructor would jump on the brake pedal. I used ot call those cars "3/4 ton cars".
Charles Phoenix said they were the only car named after anger.
https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...900-jpg.81411/

I leaned how to drive in a '66 Ford station wagon, the full size, Galaxie based one, not the Fairlane or Falcon versions. It was ginormous - after all, Dad used it to take all 8 of us to church on Sundays.

DougRNS 11-22-21 03:57 PM

PSA for @Velo Vol from my weather app with superior accuracy:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4870c8ff7c.jpg

DougRNS 11-22-21 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22316397)

Too 1999.

phrantic09 11-22-21 04:03 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22316870)
Clothing sizing, in general, is a crapshoot. The tight fit of cycling clothing allows for less margin of error in either direction.

Even in what should be consistent. I get about 80% of my clothes from Banana Republic and reliable wear 32 waist pants and medium shirts

Some other brands Iím a 30 waist and small and in some Iím a 34 and medium- It makes no sense


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.