Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Eric F 10-06-21 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22259674)
Do you ever have "thick fog" in the afternoon, in October?

Not where I am, specifically, but areas closer to the ocean probably do.

LesterOfPuppets 10-06-21 12:26 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22259697)
Not where I am, specifically, but areas closer to the ocean probably do.

In the Central Valley too, but it's a little early in the year for that
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

Eric F 10-06-21 12:29 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22259706)
In the Central Valley too, but it's a little early in the year for that
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

Oh, yeah. Central Valley fog is ridiculous.

Mojo31 10-06-21 12:51 PM

Met a woman at a restaurant in Carmel Valley once who told me that she and her husband has a house in Carmel Valley so they had a place to go in order to escape the fog that they experience at their house in Pebble Beach.

rjones28 10-06-21 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22259649)
Granted, I'm not an early morning rider, but I can't remember the last time fog was a obstacle to riding.

Visibility gets pretty low on our little hill. Like less than 50 feet. Hard to see things, even when they have lights.

rjones28 10-06-21 01:00 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22259674)
Do you ever have "thick fog" in the afternoon, in October?

Naturally, I just made that **** up.

#busted

rjones28 10-06-21 01:03 PM

Also, drivers don't turn on their lights, even in dense fog. I have had many close calls just pulling out of my driveway because of this.

BillyD 10-06-21 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22259753)
Also, drivers don't turn on their lights, even in dense fog. I have had many close calls just pulling out of my driveway because of this.

They are saving their lights for when they canít see at night. It doesnít matter if they canít see during the day. :rolleyes:

datlas 10-06-21 01:17 PM

Ok maybe my skeleton joke was in bad taste. Deleted.

LesterOfPuppets 10-06-21 01:23 PM

Here's a map of the day that the censor won't go after

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b6aa3f799.jpeg

Eric F 10-06-21 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22259735)
Met a woman at a restaurant in Carmel Valley once who told me that she and her husband has a house in Carmel Valley so they had a place to go in order to escape the fog that they experience at their house in Pebble Beach.

Lovely part of the world. I have extended family that lives in the area.

big john 10-06-21 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22259503)
Listening to Steely Dan datlas
Don't take me alive.

Listening to The War On Drugs-Up all night.

genejockey 10-06-21 01:29 PM

After calling 3 bike stores (the kind that have been around long enough to have old stocks of obsolete parts), it seems one can no longer "just drop by a bike shop and pick up" spacers for 1" headsets. What's the world coming to? So I pulled the trigger and ordered a bag of 10 of the damn things, because I couldn't find anyone selling ONE of them. Well, that's not strictly true. There were sellers in Europe who'd sell you one. For 1/3 the price of the bag of 10, but then shipping would push the total price of that one spacer HIGHER THAN the bag of 10.

Unable to wait to finish putting the Ironman together, I took a hacksaw to the reflector mount. I cut it into a 3/4 circle, because it was a lot easier and I'll be replacing it really soon anyhow.

So now it's all together, all but the bar tape. I figure tomorrow for the shakedown cruise.

genejockey 10-06-21 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22259767)
They are saving their lights for when they canít see at night. It doesnít matter if they canít see during the day. :rolleyes:

Don't want to use up all the fluid.

Eric F 10-06-21 01:37 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22259794)
Don't want to use up all the fluid.

I thought it was only blinkers that needed fluid.

Mojo31 10-06-21 01:38 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22259785)
Lovely part of the world. I have extended family that lives in the area.

It is. Can't afford to live there. Can only visit, which we do from time to time.

Eric F 10-06-21 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22259806)
It is. Can't afford to live there. Can only visit, which we do from time to time.

Yep. My aunt and uncle ran a couple of pretty successful businesses in the Carmel/Carmel Valley area when I was growing up, and did very well for themselves. They relocated to Redding about a decade ago. I have a cousin that still lives in Carmel Valley, but haven't been to visit in far too long.

big john 10-06-21 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22259706)
In the Central Valley too, but it's a little early in the year for that
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

I lived in the mountains off the southwest corner of the Central Valley. There was a low spot in the ridge and the fog would creep up and freeze on the road. When the road was built they had to get an exemption from the county to allow 15% grades in spots.Nothing quite like going to work on a clear morning and coming upon an ice covered 15% descent, or ascent even.

I would take the mountain bike to the top of the 7500' mountain overlooking the valley There is a spot above huge cliffs which faces the valley and the air would hit those cliffs and go straight up at what must have been at least 35mph. When there was a lot of fog below it would rush up into the air in spectacular fashion. If you stood close to the cliff it was wet and cold and you could back up ten feet and be warmer. I'll never forget that.

Those cliffs are so big you can see them from the I5 freeway miles away.

MoAlpha 10-06-21 02:01 PM

It was starting to shmizzle when I poked my head out to gauge what to wear for my ride, so I did a fake group ride for the first time since Spring instead of going out. Bad idea. It's going to be a long, unpleasant, winter.

Velo Vol 10-06-21 02:37 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22259746)
Naturally, I just made that **** up.

Probably sounded better in your head than "the dog took the rapid deployment room key."

Velo Vol 10-06-21 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22259827)
It was starting to shmizzle when I poked my head out to gauge what to wear for my ride, so I did a fake group ride for the first time since Spring instead of going out. Bad idea. It's going to be a long, unpleasant, winter.

wut

Eric F 10-06-21 02:43 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22259894)
wut

Zwift group ride, probably.

MoAlpha 10-06-21 02:48 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22259900)
Zwift group ride, probably.

Very probably.

Velo Vol 10-06-21 02:51 PM

LoP is out there riding in the middle of the night, and you guys are staying in because of "fog."

SMH

seedsbelize2 10-06-21 02:57 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22259367)
No soup for you.


Pffftt . . . how could that be?

Well, I have approximately 40 years under my belt in the east, and 20, currently, in the southlands. I could conceivably have 20 more left. My folks both made it to 92. But they both relied heavily on modern science to make it that far (My dad retired as a full Colonel) It is unlikely that I will be in the same boat.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.