Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

CTC53 07-20-19 01:41 PM

Thank you for the link, Iíve just added a comment to that topic now. Much appreciated

gster 07-21-19 07:03 AM

Still Out There
Here's a 1967 Raleigh 5 speed Sprite for sale here in Toronto
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...59416a30d5.jpg
It has the double "throttle" shifter that I like.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...71d2dc9dc1.jpg
By coincidence, it has a Northampton tag on it.
I lived in Northampton 1975-1977.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09faa1257f.jpg
Seller is asking $325.00 (CDN) which I think is reasonable considering
-the rarity
-condition
-completeness
I've invited the seller to come to the bike show next weekend.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2d4e8ea869.png

PeterLYoung 07-21-19 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21034516)
From what I've read about this hub, mostly at master Sheldon's site, there is some conjecture that these hubs may have a production rather than design flaw. In which case there may be good ones and bad ones. Although the idea of round pawls that cam to lock rather then sprung ratchet type pawls seems suspect to me. Interesting hub though. I hope it continues working well.

Yes, I read that too, there is probably truth in both arguments, incorrect lubrication (critical for free pawl movement) and the decline in precision manufacturing in the UK in the post war years, so that crucial uniformity in component dimensions was not maintained for production units. I have to say to my engineering eye the unit looks very well made with high quality finishes, bearing surfaces showed little signs of wear, though some light tracking on the cones as one would expect on any bicycle of its age. Apparently it was a lottery as to whether you got a good unit on your new bike or otherwise. I must have one of the good ones as when I took it apart, there were signs of wear on the pawls but it seemed pretty uniform and I was very careful when dismantling to keep orientation and location of the pawls unchanged on re-assembly, a tricky thing to do when they can easily fall out when dismantling the hub. Fortunately I had read everything I could on the hub and was very careful. Ridden the bike quite a few times now and gear hub performance is still very good, not one missed engagement so far! I guess one has to bear in mind I am only cruising and I ride it very sympathetically, maybe not a typical rider.

Dan Burkhart 07-21-19 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21037395)
I've invited the seller to come to the bike show next weekend.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2d4e8ea869.png

Not sure where, but I thought I read somewhere that the show was cancelled. Good to know it's back on. I may wander down for a look.

PeterLYoung 07-21-19 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21032864)
That bike could be on the showroom floor.
The bucket kick stand is a nice touch.

Thanks for your comment. If in doubt, use a bucket!!

Actually the bike came with a kick stand but I am not sure whether to refit it at present. There is nothing wrong with it but the clamp did slightly compress the frame and I do not want to further compress it, I might make up a pair of rubber/or similar mat'l pads to protect the frame, maybe!!

gster 07-21-19 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by PeterLYoung (Post 21037503)
Yes, I read that too, there is probably truth in both arguments, incorrect lubrication (critical for free pawl movement) and the decline in precision manufacturing in the UK in the post war years, so that crucial uniformity in component dimensions was not maintained for production units. I have to say to my engineering eye the unit looks very well made with high quality finishes, bearing surfaces showed little signs of wear, though some light tracking on the cones as one would expect on any bicycle of its age. Apparently it was a lottery as to whether you got a good unit on your new bike or otherwise. I must have one of the good ones as when I took it apart, there were signs of wear on the pawls but it seemed pretty uniform and I was very careful when dismantling to keep orientation and location of the pawls unchanged on re-assembly, a tricky thing to do when they can easily fall out when dismantling the hub. Fortunately I had read everything I could on the hub and was very careful. Ridden the bike quite a few times now and gear hub performance is still very good, not one missed engagement so far! I guess one has to bear in mind I am only cruising and I ride it very sympathetically, maybe not a typical rider.

I find that after installing a new shifter cable that eventually (as the cable stretches) it will .\
slip out of second and a small re adjustment is needed.
I never stand on the pedals.

BigChief 07-21-19 03:41 PM


Originally Posted by PeterLYoung (Post 21037652)
Thanks for your comment. If in doubt, use a bucket!!

Actually the bike came with a kick stand but I am not sure whether to refit it at present. There is nothing wrong with it but the clamp did slightly compress the frame and I do not want to further compress it, I might make up a pair of rubber/or similar mat'l pads to protect the frame, maybe!!

Unfortunately, it's rare to find old roadsters with undamaged chainstays from kickstands. The stays on my 51 Rudge were a bit dented from a clunky aftermarket stand and I, like you, didn't want to make it any worse. In the 70s, Raleigh made a good decision and started using alloy ESGE stands on their upper end roadsters. These were made especially for Raleigh and the top plate has ears that extend down over the bottom plate to resist rotating. These are, hands down the best kickstands you can fit to a roadster. You don't need to tighten the bolt nearly as much as other stands and they are, by far, the most stable kickstand I've ever tried. There was a guy selling them NOS on eBay a while back...I bought 3. I use them on any roadster I care about. Original or not. They're light, don't crunch chainstays and I hate tippy unstable kickstands. Although, Raleighs didn't come with factory stands until the Sir Walter stand in 1954, so anything on my 51 would be aftermarket anyway. I highly recommend these.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fca2d0cf90.jpg

clubman 07-21-19 05:20 PM

I think I want it for the pump.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-bike/a...ationFlag=true

3speedslow 07-21-19 08:09 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21038205)

Dang right! Though I would certainly keep everything else too.

gster 07-21-19 08:16 PM


Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 21037625)
Not sure where, but I thought I read somewhere that the show was cancelled. Good to know it's back on. I may wander down for a look.

Please do.

Dan Burkhart 07-21-19 08:28 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21038472)
Please do.

I'm not seeing anything that says what time the show opens. I plan to take my bike on the Go train and ride up from Exhibition Station.

gster 07-21-19 08:32 PM


Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 21038497)
I'm not seeing anything that says what time the show opens. I plan to take my bike on the Go train and ride up from Exhibition Station.

9;00-5:00
I'll be there early.

Dan Burkhart 07-21-19 08:58 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21038506)
9;00-5:00
I'll be there early.

Are you going to be tending a booth, or just wandering around like me?

gster 07-22-19 04:16 AM


Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 21038554)
Are you going to be tending a booth, or just wandering around like me?

I don't have a booth, but ask around.
Most of the vendors will know me.
Hope to see you there.
Greg

gna 07-22-19 09:56 AM

Fixing up a Raleigh for a coworker. It's pretty rough.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c5205d401.jpg

BigChief 07-23-19 04:11 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21037395)
Still Out There
Here's a 1967 Raleigh 5 speed Sprite for sale here in Toronto
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...59416a30d5.jpg
It has the double "throttle" shifter that I like.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...71d2dc9dc1.jpg
By coincidence, it has a Northampton tag on it.
I lived in Northampton 1975-1977.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09faa1257f.jpg
Seller is asking $325.00 (CDN) which I think is reasonable considering
-the rarity
-condition
-completeness
I've invited the seller to come to the bike show next weekend.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2d4e8ea869.png

The 23" Sprite is an especially good find. Although it is missing it's leather Brooks saddle. I'm not sure how many people would realize how nice they are. Might be a tough sell at that price. Great bike, needs a saddle and has a limited fan base. I'd have a hard time passing it by at 200.

gster 07-23-19 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21041608)
The 23" Sprite is an especially good find. Although it is missing it's leather Brooks saddle. I'm not sure how many people would realize how nice they are. Might be a tough sell at that price. Great bike, needs a saddle and has a limited fan base. I'd have a hard time passing it by at 200.

I paid $325.00 for mine a few years back but don't ride it often enough.
I'll bring it to the show this weekend.

wahoonc 07-23-19 06:19 PM

The Beast Rolls Again
 
Don't believe I have posted this here.

This is my 1981 DL-1

Just got it back up and rolling earlier this year.

Aaron :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4d19ec6369.jpg

gster 07-23-19 06:23 PM


Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 21041774)
Don't believe I have posted this here.

This is my 1981 DL-1

Just got it back up and rolling earlier this year.

Aaron :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4d19ec6369.jpg

Classic!

gster 07-24-19 04:25 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21041608)
The 23" Sprite is an especially good find. Although it is missing it's leather Brooks saddle. I'm not sure how many people would realize how nice they are. Might be a tough sell at that price. Great bike, needs a saddle and has a limited fan base. I'd have a hard time passing it by at 200.

Mine came with the proper saddle which, sadly, ripped shortly after.
I've forsaken the car this summer and have been putting a lot of miles on these two.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...930c7f6264.jpg

A Glider Bitsa, year unknown.
It started out as a $20.00 frame.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a01c3abff.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c81317667d.jpg
1962 Robin Hood, also assembled from the parts bin.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...710f682977.jpg
As found.
Both are well suited to a cross town commute.

BigChief 07-24-19 06:34 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21042194)
Mine came with the proper saddle which, sadly, ripped shortly after.
I've forsaken the car this summer and have been putting a lot of miles on these two.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...930c7f6264.jpg

A Glider Bitsa, year unknown.
It started out as a $20.00 frame.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a01c3abff.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c81317667d.jpg
1962 Robin Hood, also assembled from the parts bin.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...710f682977.jpg
As found.
Both are well suited to a cross town commute.

I tend to do most of my riding on my scorcher and my dumpy DL-1. But, I do really like the S5 hub on the Sprite. Mine is a 21" and is a bit small for me. It needs to go. I have this NOS S5.2 hub that's just begging to go into a scorcher. I've decided not to take on any more projects until I get rid of some bikes. But I do already have a 23" 70s Sports that the world wouldn't miss if I customized. I had to replace the fork and it already has a 36H CR-18 rim laced onto the original AW. The spokes are crossed over the air valve, so it needs to be taken apart anyway, bugs me. I have this nice vintage Bayliss Wiley 32H steel hub to lace onto another CR-18. So, I do already have the bike sitting there...doesn't count as "another bike" right?

nlerner 07-24-19 07:47 AM

Nicely preserved 1950s 23" men's Sports with chaincase near Concord, NH, at a reasonable price:

https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/cont...940248337.html

BigChief 07-24-19 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 21042388)
Nicely preserved 1950s 23" men's Sports with chaincase near Concord, NH, at a reasonable price:

https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/cont...940248337.html

Wow, that's the best CL ad I've seen in a long time. Early 50s. 50 or 51 maybe. All there, even the braided cable housings. Terrific! If I didn't just buy the 51 Rudge, I'd be on my way now. This is the kind of situation where I'd send the saddle off to Rudy just to keep the original saddle frame.

Ged117 07-24-19 11:24 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21042607)
Wow, that's the best CL ad I've seen in a long time. Early 50s. 50 or 51 maybe. All there, even the braided cable housings. Terrific! If I didn't just buy the 51 Rudge, I'd be on my way now. This is the kind of situation where I'd send the saddle off to Rudy just to keep the original saddle frame.

It is funny how different my '50 Sports / Superbe is to that one. The original buyer picked a Cyclo 3 speed derailer off the shelf, so it got the hockey stick chain guard instead of the full one. They also picked the AG hub instead of AW with the separate dynohub. Other than that, they are the same. My saddle is in much nicer shape (after a few treatments with proofhide). Time will tell about the saddle once I start riding it regularly. In a few days, it'll be out in the sunshine as a rideable bicycle. The Tektro 800 front brake came in the mail yesterday. I am also reusing the original braided cable housings. The rear brake cable housing isn't in the greatest shape, but it is OK for now. They cleaned up nicely. The green really came through.

I rode my '77 AO8 home from work yesterday. At a stoplight, I noticed an older gentleman perhaps in his early seventies waiting at a light on a bicycle. I took a second look - it was a Raleigh Tourist. I wished I'd had my Raleigh in that moment. He did notice the Peugeot, and gave a nod. Maybe I'll run into him next week when I take the Raleigh to work for the first time. There's a guy closer to my age around here with a '60s looking Sports in black. I'm gonna try and run into him with mine.

BigChief 07-24-19 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 21042748)
It is funny how different my '50 Sports / Superbe is to that one. The original buyer picked a Cyclo 3 speed derailer off the shelf, so it got the hockey stick chain guard instead of the full one. They also picked the AG hub instead of AW with the separate dynohub. Other than that, they are the same. My saddle is in much nicer shape (after a few treatments with proofhide). Time will tell about the saddle once I start riding it regularly. In a few days, it'll be out in the sunshine as a rideable bicycle. The Tektro 800 front brake came in the mail yesterday. I am also reusing the original braided cable housings. The rear brake cable housing isn't in the greatest shape, but it is OK for now. They cleaned up nicely. The green really came through.

I rode my '77 AO8 home from work yesterday. At a stoplight, I noticed an older gentleman perhaps in his early seventies waiting at a light on a bicycle. I took a second look - it was a Raleigh Tourist. I wished I'd had my Raleigh in that moment. He did notice the Peugeot, and gave a nod. Maybe I'll run into him next week when I take the Raleigh to work for the first time. There's a guy closer to my age around here with a '60s looking Sports in black. I'm gonna try and run into him with mine.

Looking forward to hearing how you're getting on with the Cyclo. I've never had a chance to try one. Would love to someday.

sykerocker 07-24-19 07:12 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21038205)


Only $65.00 Canadian? And nobody rushed up there to grab it yet?

harlond 07-24-19 07:47 PM

My English 3-Speed, with pump
 
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...56dd526a5d.jpg
This is my 1973 Raleigh Twenty. The pump is not classic or vintage, cut it down from a pump bought new and had it painted to match. Still haven't used it, but I like how it looks.

clubman 07-24-19 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 21043379)
Only $65.00 Canadian? And nobody rushed up there to grab it yet?

I think I'm the only collector in the this rural area and it's about 45 minutes drive.I've already got 4 interesting sports, a few clubs, a couple of roadsters and a Moulton. No more for now.

Fine work @harlond Looks like a mobile beekeeping hive. :thumb:

I was going to ask if you have a dog or a small child but I think it's both. (wanna-be Hercule Poirot)

AD-SLE 07-25-19 05:04 AM

Oddly...I live in Hopkinton NH but I have my Father's Raleigh Sports purchased, I estimate, 1935 from the BicycleExchange in Cambridge Mass. The same store I purchased my Raleigh Grand Prix in maybe 1974. The Grand Prix is gone but I still have his Raleigh, SN 57658 stamped in seat tube AFTER paint. I need this 1950 version like a hole in the head. I hope to someday get my Dad's on the road. Interesting to me about the bike. The bike is 100% original. IMO. The Sturmy Archer shifter is on the top tube. The rims are not what Sheldon calls the Raleigh Pattern Rim. They have no center ridge. The front wheel is radial spoked. My father told me that he and his two buddies got Ben Olken to order three of these new high tech multi speed bikes and they rode them all over New England. The original catalog is somewhere in the small fraction of stuff I kept when cleaning out the parent's house of 50 years. I sure would like to find it!

HPL 07-25-19 09:39 AM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 21027832)
@dimini

Can you fit 2 bikes inside your Mini?

I have fit 3 bikes inside my 2013 Mini Countryman (2 road, 1 mtb), 2 road bikes fit into the "mini" 2006 Mini (yes, all wheels removed). Toughest was one bike only: 1936 Raleigh DL-1 with both wheels in place.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.