Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   A Bertin C35 of a Different Color...so to speak. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1209537)

CV-6 08-06-20 02:20 PM

A Bertin C35 of a Different Color...so to speak.

I have a soft spot for Bertin for some reason. I have read most of BertinJim's site. And I knew that there is a connection between Bernard Carré and Bertin. Seems there was a fire in the Bertin factory and for a period of time, Carré's atelier provided frames for Bertin. But up until this frame appeared, it was thought Carré only provided the C37. So I was excited to find this and immediately contacted Jim who confirmed what I saw. A C35 ala Carré.

Frame arrived 40 days after I paid for it. Thrown in a box loose and minimal protection. My heart was in my throat. But it is overall okay save a tweak to the NDS seat stay which may not have been due to shipping. I am using an Android phone camera, so the color is off. It is a lovely teal. Lots of patina. Eventually it will get a trip to Jack at Franklin, but it will probably get built first. This is the reason for the Huret Challenger request.

I am hoping Jim and Charles will both jump in with their observations.

Bertin on flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...118cd4f8_h.jpg20200806_141155 by L Travers, on Flickr

CV-6 12-22-20 03:36 PM

First ride today. Fit is good, brakes howl but stop well. Technically not my size, but like my 56cm Lejeunes, I can work with the fit. And I pretty much nailed it right out of the gate. I find I like the Huret Challenger rear derailleur. This may get fenders.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...004e5d99_h.jpg20201222_151737 by L Travers, on Flickr

KenNC 12-22-20 04:30 PM

Nice! The red white and blue on the crank arms, and on the rear derailleur, is a good looking touch.

non-fixie 12-22-20 05:21 PM

A lovely bike and a nice French fit, too. Congratulations on the find (and the build)!

bikemig 12-22-20 05:40 PM

Good looking bike and good looking build. Yeah I like Bertins as well.

Sir_Name 12-22-20 05:43 PM

Fantastic, enjoy!!

repechage 12-22-20 07:52 PM

you need an AN washer, less OD for the binder bolt

bikemig 12-23-20 06:47 AM

Great bike. I've spent some time on and off looking for a Bertin so I understand your soft spot for the bikes.

Spaghetti Legs 12-23-20 07:43 AM

That’s really nice. Quite a good year for you bike-wise; this one and the Lejeune!

CV-6 12-23-20 12:13 PM

Thanks all. I should point out it is a 10 footer. Any closer and you see all the "patina". :)

I must admit I am enamored with the ride. But then the last bike I ride is almost always my favorite.

Originally Posted by repechage (Post 21844744)
you need an AN washer, less OD for the binder bolt

I think you are referring to the seat post bolt? That is the hanger behind the bolt.

repechage 12-23-20 12:13 PM

These Bertin's were nice riding bicycles. The C35's that came through the shop had Durifort beyond the main triangle.

After 1975, the Japanese offerings and a variable exchange rate, lack of shop capital curtailed these from coming in.

repechage 12-23-20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21845568)
Thanks all. I should point out it is a 10 footer. Any closer and you see all the "patina". :)

I must admit I am enamored with the ride. But then the last bike I ride is almost always my favorite.

I think you are referring to the seat post bolt? That is the hanger behind the bolt.

Yep, on the big screen is resolves, there must be some variation with them.

CV-6 12-23-20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by repechage (Post 21845569)
These Bertin's were nice riding bicycles. The C35's that came through the shop had Durifort beyond the main triangle.

After 1975, the Japanese offerings and a variable exchange rate, lack of shop capital curtailed these from coming in.

The BC Bertins were a little different. At least this one is. 531 triangle and Vitus fork. No certainty as to the stays.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f2fd597a_c.jpg20200806_141642 by L Travers, on Flickr

John E 12-23-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21845568)

"Patina" is good. :)
When I worked at a Peugeot dealership in the early 1970s, the boss was always impressed with the Bertins being sold at the shop up the street. Peugeot fit and finish were a bit rough and inconsistent, to say the least, during the Bike Boom era.

CV-6 12-23-20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by KenNC (Post 21844452)
Nice! The red white and blue on the crank arms, and on the rear derailleur, is a good looking touch.

That came about out of necessity. The RD was kind of rough. Some filing, sanding, and polishing resolved that. That left me with a blank where the Huret logo would have been. I decided a splash of color was called for and the cranks were a no brainer once I decided to do the RD.

bertinjim 12-23-20 08:51 PM

CV-6 -

Very nice build on an unusual Bertin. That is quite the unicorn - it's the only Carre/Bertin C 35 I've ever seen. Check the inside of the fork blades just below the crown they are often stamped with "durifort" or "971" or whatever the tubing was. That Vitus sticker was typically used on the earlier, higher end Vitus tubing - Charles may be able to elaborate on that. You can see the small concessions to price point in that Campy stamped dropouts are used instead of the forged ones of the C 37s and the fork crown is the unmachined, less expensive Vagner DP rather than the DP+ found on the C 37s. Neither of those make any difference to performance.

CV-6 12-24-20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by bertinjim (Post 21846162)
CV-6 -

Very nice build on an unusual Bertin. That is quite the unicorn - it's the only Carre/Bertin C 35 I've ever seen. Check the inside of the fork blades just below the crown they are often stamped with "durifort" or "971" or whatever the tubing was. That Vitus sticker was typically used on the earlier, higher end Vitus tubing - Charles may be able to elaborate on that. You can see the small concessions to price point in that Campy stamped dropouts are used instead of the forged ones of the C 37s and the fork crown is the unmachined, less expensive Vagner DP rather than the DP+ found on the C 37s. Neither of those make any difference to performance.

Norris Lockley tells me he has the same frame, same color. But mine is in much better condition.

CV-6 01-06-21 09:30 PM

And my standard DS shot in front of the landscaping....

Stronglight 49D 40/52
Huret Challenger RD and shifters
Huret 700 FD
Atax stem
Motobecane bars
Mafac brakes
Stronglight P3 headset
TA bottom bracket
Idéale Rebour saddle and clamp
Campagnolo large flange hubs
Super Champion Gentleman rims
Clement Strada LGG 700x28 tires
Newbaums padded tape.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...02e68bc2_h.jpg20210106_144844 by L Travers, on Flickr

rando_couche 01-07-21 11:32 AM

Lovely bike! I've always had a soft spot for French bikes in general. And the Huret Success is my absolute favorite pre-indexing rear derailleur (even tho the Jubilee is prettier)!