Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What time of day do you prefer to bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1257587)

CheGiantForLife 08-27-22 11:05 AM

What time of day do you prefer to bike?

I did a 1 hour ride at 11am.
Now, I will get lunch and have a lazy afternoon.

What are the pros/cons of riding super early, mid day, or later in eve?

wolfchild 08-27-22 11:12 AM

Very early in the morning is my favorite time to start a ride.

BkSaGo 08-27-22 11:18 AM

When I was working, I’d do evening rides on weekdays and morning rides when I rode on weekends. And I preferred evening rides.
Now that I’m retired, I do mostly mid-morning rides and have learned to like riding then. It is usually windy here in the afternoon, so mornings are better for riding.

delbiker1 08-27-22 11:23 AM

To me, the big advantage of getting out early, at least summertime, is the low volume of traffic of all kinds, and staying out of the intense sun and high temperatures. I will add lower wind velocity early in the day, most days. I seem to get to where I want to be, mentally, easier in the morning. Here on the Atlantic coast, wind is often a factor in when and where I ride.

Iride01 08-27-22 11:30 AM

Late morning or early afternoon after the humidity has gone down. I'd much rather deal with the heat. The very high humidity of the early mornings makes me gasp for air as if I was at the higher altitudes.

Fredo76 08-27-22 11:40 AM

Usually, morning for distance or a workout, mid-day for some warm sun, or evening for pure enjoyment. Anytime is the right time! :)

Except in the spring, when the wind often blows hard here all day long after it warms up. :(

It's perfect right now!

RH Clark 08-27-22 11:44 AM

My "preferred" time is about 11am to dark. If the weather is too hot, I go about 5 or 6 am. If it's too cold, I might only go around noon. I have gone on a ride after midnight though. A lot depends on the heat here. We have moderate weather 80% of the time but when it gets really hot you could easily get a heat stroke going out the wrong time of the day.

OldTryGuy 08-27-22 01:19 PM

Pretty much a SOLO Rider who enjoys listening to old tunes on my iPod. 1st song is my Theme Song and is very apropos since my starting time is usually +/- not too much.

ABBA - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

SW FL with Midnight a GREAT starting time.

veganbikes 08-27-22 02:52 PM

3:27:32 anytime before or after that is terrible riding time I once biked at 3:27:33 and was miserable for a whole week.

Random11 08-27-22 03:10 PM

I usually ride in the morning. I've heard that exercising in the morning raises your metabolism for the rest of the day.

rydabent 08-27-22 04:02 PM

Any time, but in high summer when it gets over 100 in the after noon, I go early.

kommisar 08-27-22 05:08 PM

birdsong, too early for the commuters, too late for the drunk drivers...

livedarklions 08-27-22 05:34 PM

When it's light enough for me to find water bottles in the dumpsters.

badger1 08-27-22 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22625814)
I did a 1 hour ride at 11am.
Now, I will get lunch and have a lazy afternoon.

What are the pros/cons of riding super early, mid day, or later in eve?

I don't care what your preferences are. With regard to the thread title question: none of your business.

Maelochs 08-27-22 08:17 PM

When I am awake.

livedarklions 08-28-22 06:17 AM

Differences between various times of day are localized, season dependent, and not exactly arcane knowledge. Why do you persist in asking these mundane pointless questions?

terrymorse 08-28-22 10:03 AM

I did an early morning climb up Mt. Hamilton last Friday with a buddy.

We rolled out about 30 minutes before sunrise. Quiet, foggy, almost no cars, critters going about their business. The first rays of sunlight hit us at the top of the first climb, and soon we were looking down on the fog that covered the valley below.

When we got to the summit at Lick Observatory, it was just before 8:30 AM. We sat for a bit, took on some nutrition, filled our bottles, then headed back down. We were back to the start by 10:00.

I rarely do an early morning ride like that, but it was so pleasant than I think I'll do that more often. If I can drag myself out of bed, that is.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f3039ddf8.jpeg
Selfie at Lick Observatory

Mtracer 08-28-22 10:37 AM

Early morning during the heat of summer. Mid-afternoon during the warmest part of the day in winter.

I do prefer the dawn rides in summer since there is less traffic at that time of the day.

Yan 08-28-22 12:09 PM

I like to ride between 1am and 4 am. The sun is my nemesis.

SpeedyBlueBiker 08-28-22 06:22 PM

Definitely during the daylight hours. I don't like cycling or running in the dark.

Reflector Guy 08-29-22 06:08 AM

If it's a weekday, I like to ride after work. Those days will dwindle soon though as it is already getting darker earlier now. Though a nighttime ride (IE, 7-8 PM) ride is sometimes nice if nice weather lasts through November.

seypat 08-29-22 07:04 AM

It changes with the seasons.

CAT7RDR 08-29-22 08:48 AM

Best time is pre-dawn on a Sunday morning.
Everything else is second best.

devianb 08-29-22 10:53 AM

I would like to get out at 6 am, but it usually is around 12 to 2 pm when I finally role out. I absolutely hate having to return home in the dark.

Milton Keynes 08-29-22 02:12 PM

Early morning rides are the only solution for my daily workouts. I have to get up at 5 AM in order to get 10 miles in and back home to get ready for work, get the kids up for school, etc. I could do it in the evening but in the summer (especially this summer) it's just too darn hot and I'm usually tired from work and don't feel like getting on a bike. Plus it takes away from family time. On Saturdays I like to take off in the morning and do whatever ride I planned on doing that day.

If I didn't have this pesky job to contend with, I'd do my riding at around 8 AM or so before it gets too hot.