Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

bampilot06 09-06-21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22218256)
No, it won’t. But, is there anything that will at your age?

Hope.

genejockey 09-06-21 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22218266)
How about the self-important middle manager who wears ear buds and talks into a phone held at arms length loud enough for the entire terminal to hear his every word.

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about me. But I don't do that other stuff. That's some OTHER self-important middle manager.

bampilot06 09-06-21 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22218266)
How about the self-important middle manager who wears ear buds and talks into a phone held at arms length loud enough for the entire terminal to hear his every word.

Or the people that book THEIR OWN flights with a 15 min connection.

Incase you are wondering whose fault it is when they don’t make it.

It’s mine.

genejockey 09-06-21 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22218265)
Only if strava allows it.

Pause the ride on the Garmin and don't let it shut down, then restart it hours later. Voila! A century ridden.

bampilot06 09-06-21 07:04 PM

I don’t know if this happens where you guys work, but it’s a common occurrence where an older employee, one who is prolly about to retire, will come up to me and then start bad mouthing the company, very loudly.

Makes for an extremely awkward one sided monologue, with me looking for any means necessary to escape. Happens about once a month. I’m convinced that A. They have no F to give, they are so senior they are ublntouchable. B. They are trying to ruin my life.

Havnt figured it out yet.

genejockey 09-06-21 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22218274)

This is why I'll pay more for a nonstop.

Velo Vol 09-06-21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22218247)
Question that came up in discussion recently - if you ride two 50 mile segments in one day (midnight to midnight, but they were broken up by a meal or two is that a century?

No.

bampilot06 09-06-21 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22218290)
No.

The mouse has spoken.

genejockey 09-06-21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22218282)
I don’t know if this happens where you guys work, but it’s a common occurrence where an older employee, one who is prolly about to retire, will come up to me and then start bad mouthing the company, very loudly.

Makes for an extremely awkward one sided monologue, with me looking for any means necessary to escape. Happens about once a month. I’m convinced that A. They have no F to give, they are so senior they are ublntouchable. B. They are trying to ruin my life.

Havnt figured it out yet.

A guy who worked for me retired - a little younger than me, but he had a hard year. He was doing his exit interview over the phone in his cubicle, and his voice is one of those that carries....

Mojo31 09-06-21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22218274)

Incase you are wondering whose fault it is when they don’t make it.

It’s mine.

And then there is American Airlines and it’s rescheduling of flights.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve booked flights to the Carib thru Miami, knowing that I will need long lay-over times because of how long it takes to get from one terminal to another or to get thru customs/immigration. Then, AA changes my flights giving me 10 minutes to connect outbound and 15 to connect inbound. Then I have to spend two hours on the phone with CS explaining how at least two hours are needed on the inbound flight due to the three hour lines to clear customs/immigration.

Mojo31 09-06-21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22218290)
No.

Why not, and what’s your authority, counselor?

LesterOfPuppets 09-06-21 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22218070)

It's been pretty ugly so far. Oh well, at least the Red Sox lost today.

Also I'm all out of proper beer, and not going to the store today. But one beer is plenty for today.

​​​​

Velo Vol 09-06-21 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22217346)
I live my life trying to be as considerate as possible of everyone around me, and somehow am frequently surrounded by people who care about nothing and no one but themselves. Whether that's pushing their music on everyone, hogging the path, drafting without asking, weaving around, stopping in the middle of the grocery store aisle, or the thousand and million other things people do all the time without thinking about it. And this is why I want my moat.

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22218245)
this sums up exactly how I feel. It’s so strong of a feeling, that I almost feel crippled by how much I care about my surroundings. Meanwhile 90 percent of the people today seem to only be interested in themselves.

Come on.

Mojo31 09-06-21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22218270)
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about me. But I don't do that other stuff. That's some OTHER self-important middle manager.

The ones I’ve eavesdropped on were typically logistics guys

Trsnrtr 09-06-21 07:18 PM

Question that came up in discussion recently - if you ride two 50 mile segments in one day (midnight to midnight, but they were broken up by a meal or two is that a century? Or, does it have to be a fairly continuous ride with breaks of shorter intervals.

It’s a century.

bampilot06 09-06-21 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22218295)
And then there is American Airlines and it’s rescheduling of flights.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve booked flights to the Carib thru Miami, knowing that I will need long lay-over times because of how long it takes to get from one terminal to another or to get thru customs/immigration. Then, AA changes my flights giving me 10 minutes to connect outbound and 15 to connect inbound. Then I have to spend two hours on the phone with CS explaining how at least two hours are needed on the inbound flight due to the three hour lines to clear customs/immigration.

SEE , YOUR THE PROBLEM!!!!!!

Joking. Might sound like a shock, but I have zero experience booking a flight on any airline.

I would imagine, the rescheduling of flights has a greater chance of happening the farther out the flights are booked.

Velo Vol 09-06-21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22218301)
Why not, and what’s your authority, counselor?

A proper century is one continuous activity. You can stop, eat, take a short rest, but you remain outside, in your bike outfit, with your bike nearby.

Mojo31 09-06-21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22218311)
SEE , YOUR THE PROBLEM!!!!!!

Joking. Might sound like a shock, but I have zero experience booking a flight on any airline.

I would imagine, the rescheduling of flights has a greater chance of happening the farther out the flights are booked.

Probably, but it’s scheduling algorithms don’t reflect reality.

seedsbelize2 09-06-21 07:26 PM

Question that came up in discussion recently - if you ride two 50 mile segments in one day (midnight to midnight, but they were broken up by a meal or two is that a century? Or, does it have to be a fairly continuous ride with breaks of shorter intervals.

It's a century. I was hanging out in Long Distance Cycling a few years back, and their criteria said that if you stopped long enough to take your helmet off, it didn't count. I neg to differ.

bampilot06 09-06-21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22218317)
Probably, but it’s scheduling algorithms don’t reflect reality.

agreed.

seedsbelize2 09-06-21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22218250)
Big john's gonna make fun of me, but I'm starting to jones again. This time for a Centurion Ironman. One of the guys on the ride had one - red and white, with Shimano 600 kit from between Arabesque and Tricolor. Too small for me, plus it's his bike. So I was looking on Craigs List like I often do and there's one up in Sonoma County. Red with 'Titanium', both metalflake. Same kit. Listed as a 56, but the pics look bigger than any 56 I've ever seen. Longer head tube, steeper angle between the seat tube and seat stays. Same 6207 kit. Seller's asking $300, but the listing's been there 16 days.....

Hi. I'm Doug, and I'm an addict. It's been 3 months since I last bought a bike.........

I have one of those hanging as a frameset. It didn't make the cut.
89 Expert

big john 09-06-21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22218250)
Big john's gonna make fun of me, but I'm starting to jones again. This time for a Centurion Ironman. One of the guys on the ride had one - red and white, with Shimano 600 kit from between Arabesque and Tricolor. Too small for me, plus it's his bike. So I was looking on Craigs List like I often do and there's one up in Sonoma County. Red with 'Titanium', both metalflake. Same kit. Listed as a 56, but the pics look bigger than any 56 I've ever seen. Longer head tube, steeper angle between the seat tube and seat stays. Same 6207 kit. Seller's asking $300, but the listing's been there 16 days.....

Hi. I'm Doug, and I'm an addict. It's been 3 months since I last bought a bike.........

What are you waiting for? Scratch that itch...

DougRNS 09-06-21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22218303)
It's been pretty ugly so far. Oh well, at least the Red Sox lost today.

Also I'm all out of proper beer, and not going to the store today. But one beer is plenty for today.

​​​​

maybe the 'stros are banging on the trash can again.
#Cheaters

bampilot06 09-06-21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22218329)
I have one of those hanging as a frameset. It didn't make the cut.
89 Expert

You don’t happen to have a Wilier Filante SLR hanging on your wall too?

Velo Vol 09-06-21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22218165)
10th post? Woohoo

Kudos.