Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Velo Vol 01-26-22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22388488)
BTW I did this with only 1 hour of sleep.

What could possibly go wrong?

genejockey 01-26-22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22388270)
If you want to ruin a fun hobby just make it your career.

This is why I think, "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life" is such unadulterated horses**t.

genejockey 01-26-22 07:45 PM

Did a really hard ride today. I think it was probably the hardest I have ever gone on a bike. It felt good, but at times I thought I was going to be sick. The guy I was with is a beast. BTW I did this with only 1 hour of sleep.
Something I noticed, I felt like I was shifting my hips alot while pedaling, vs what he looked like. Not sure if that’s because of how much effort I was putting into it or the fatigue or a fit issue.

Shifting as in moving around the saddle trying to get in the right position? Or shifting as in rocking?

Velo Vol 01-26-22 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22388484)
About to have a little party

I could use one, too, but I've been too lazy to take the tyre off.

LAJ 01-26-22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22388478)
Rolex? Should be a fun race to watch.

Yep. Full field pic. They do it this way (I'm certain you know this, but others may not) because it's inevitable that some honyocker tries to win a 24 hour race in the first minute. The chatter is: It's going to be cold and wet.

seedsbelize2 01-26-22 08:03 PM

I need to have one of those before the tubes dry rot.

genejockey 01-26-22 08:43 PM

As I sat at my computer, analyzing sequencing data using a program somebody else wrote, using command line, trying to remember the commands, the defaults, and the arguments, and type them in correctly, it occurred to me that 40 years ago, I arrived in California and started working for Genentech - analyzing sequencing data using a program somebody else wrote, using command line, trying to remember the commands, the defaults, and the arguments.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Velo Vol 01-26-22 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22388549)
Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Maybe if you'd done a better job they would have figured it out by now.

I kid, maybe.

DougRNS 01-26-22 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22388493)

Oh you like the Blues? Try this one on for size

genejockey 01-26-22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22388585)
Maybe if you'd done a better job they would have figured it out by now.

I kid, maybe.

Yeah, 24 year old me could not have dreamed of doing what 64 year old me can do.

Velo Vol 01-26-22 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22388587)
Oh you like the Blues?

That's not what I said.

ls01 01-27-22 04:49 AM

Damn....Lester's on the glue again....smh

ls01 01-27-22 05:01 AM

Did a really hard ride today. I think it was probably the hardest I have ever gone on a bike. It felt good, but at times I thought I was going to be sick. The guy I was with is a beast. BTW I did this with only 1 hour of sleep.
Something I noticed, I felt like I was shifting my hips alot while pedaling, vs what he looked like. Not sure if that’s because of how much effort I was putting into it or the fatigue or a fit issue.

Shifting around is a sign of uncomfortability, but that doesnt mean your fit is bad or anything is wrong. When we go all out or even beyond, its normal to shift forward. You are familiar with the term , "on the rivet"?
I know when I am riding out of my class I have felt that way, not like something is wrong but more like something isn't right. I think it's just how our physicality *****es about being asked to do something that hard for an extended length of time. As far as feeling sick, you are doing it correct. I get that quite often under hard efforts. I have actually thrown up twice that I can recall on the bike because of it. I had just eaten and the ride leader decided it was breakaway time. I felt better afterwards, but never caught back up.

ls01 01-27-22 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22388495)
What could possibly go wrong?

Sleep is overrated. There will be plenty of time for that when you are dead.

phrantic09 01-27-22 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22388792)
Shifting around is a sign of uncomfortability, but that doesnt mean your fit is bad or anything is wrong. When we go all out or even beyond, its normal to shift forward. You are familiar with the term , "on the rivet"?
I know when I am riding out of my class I have felt that way, not like something is wrong but more like something isn't right. I think it's just how our physicality *****es about being asked to do something that hard for an extended length of time. As far as feeling sick, you are doing it correct. I get that quite often under hard efforts. I have actually thrown up twice that I can recall on the bike because of it. I had just eaten and the ride leader decided it was breakaway time. I felt better afterwards, but never caught back up.

When I was a runner, I trained at what I called the JAV threshold- just about vomiting. I would puke at the end of races all of the time.

phrantic09 01-27-22 05:11 AM

Wordle 222 2/6

⬛🟨🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

lucky guess

phrantic09 01-27-22 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22388790)
Damn....Lester's on the glue again....smh

time for tubeless

indyfabz 01-27-22 05:21 AM

Happy National Chocolate Cake Day! Eat it if you got it!

bampilot06 01-27-22 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22388499)
Shifting as in moving around the saddle trying to get in the right position? Or shifting as in rocking?

Rocking side to side. It wasn’t anything super dramatic but it was enough for me to notice. I would try and stop and just focus on trying to put as much power as I could with just my legs but I think the effort was just too great.

bampilot06 01-27-22 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22388792)

Never heard of “on the rivet”. As well as rocking, I did slide pretty far forward. I had a death grip on my hoods, and my back was cramping by mile 28, which has never happened on the madone.

WhyFi 01-27-22 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22388807)
Rocking side to side. It wasn’t anything super dramatic but it was enough for me to notice. I would try and stop and just focus on trying to put as much power as I could with just my legs but I think the effort was just too great.

Side-to-side can be a sign of your saddle height being off, but it could also be that you were really exerting yourself. I usually notice when someone doesn't have "quiet hips," and it's not something that stuck out when riding together.

indyfabz 01-27-22 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22388796)
Wordle 222 2/6

⬛🟨🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

lucky guess

I have yet to break the 4 barrier.

Wordle 222 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ls01 01-27-22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22388809)
Never heard of “on the rivet”. As well as rocking, I did slide pretty far forward. I had a death grip on my hoods, and my back was cramping by mile 28, which has never happened on the madone.

Take a look at a Brooks saddle,or any old timey type saddle,there is a big fat brass rivet on the tip of the nose. When we push hard we end up forward on the saddle. Thus, on the rivet. My theory is that muscles are made to contract , any and all looseness in any joint disappears under all that contracting.and our feet come up to maximize stability for the effort. Our arms tighten and we begin to pull on the bars. I think we just slide forward to compensate naturally for this temporary change in our fit and to focus our energy better. If you are rocking a lot, I would lower your saddle 1/8th inch and try it again, see if it gets any better. You can always move it back if it doesn’t help.

bampilot06 01-27-22 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22388859)
Side-to-side can be a sign of your saddle height being off, but it could also be that you were really exerting yourself. I usually notice when someone doesn't have "quiet hips," and it's not something that stuck out when riding together.

You were too focused on the Wide Load sticker that was missing.

seedsbelize2 01-27-22 07:45 AM

Throat infection. This used to be an annual event, but hasn't occurred for the last several years. It's really great that it waited until I was back home. That, and the slight sinus condition, are the only symptoms. I actually feel somewhat better today, after a semi-rough night. Another few days and all will be well.
The back, however, feels like new. :bday: