Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Trsnrtr 01-10-22 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22368236)
The new zero setback seatpost for the Litespeed is currently "out for delivery". It's the final piece of the puzzle, so I should be able to build it up tonight! I have everything I need!

Everything, that is, except cable crimps. No matter where I look, I can't find my cable crimps. I swear, I had enough left, but now I can't find those. I just ordered 100 each of brake and derailleur crimps, but they won't arrive till at least Wednesday. SO, I could try stopping at a bike shop and snagging a few to complete the build, OR I could try soldering the ends together and crimping later. Anyone ever done that?

I’ve soldered, glued, used fingernail polish, etc. Usually, it’s just temporary until I get cable crimps.

seedsbelize2 01-10-22 10:21 AM

The new zero setback seatpost for the Litespeed is currently "out for delivery". It's the final piece of the puzzle, so I should be able to build it up tonight! I have everything I need!

Everything, that is, except cable crimps. No matter where I look, I can't find my cable crimps. I swear, I had enough left, but now I can't find those. I just ordered 100 each of brake and derailleur crimps, but they won't arrive till at least Wednesday. SO, I could try stopping at a bike shop and snagging a few to complete the build, OR I could try soldering the ends together and crimping later. Anyone ever done that?

I hear dipping them in superglue works well. I have used clear nail polish temporarily.

freeranger 01-10-22 11:11 AM

For cable ends, I use heat shrink tubing, a little larger than the cable. Just put a piece over the cable end, heat, and there's a neat and inexpensive way to keep the cable from fraying.
Heat shrink tubing at Lowes.com: Search Results

mvnsnd 01-10-22 11:20 AM

If the cables are stainless, you won't be able to solder them. Wrap in tape and let the superglue wick-in like WhyFi says. Then crimp later if you still want that look.

Edit: Shrink tube is another great idea.

Velo Vol 01-10-22 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22368269)
The door is open.

A bit far for me. I might settle for the warm climes of NW Metro ATL.

big john 01-10-22 11:25 AM

I just ordered 100 each of brake and derailleur crimps, but they won't arrive till at least Wednesday.

That's enough to do 50 more bikes! You are definitely going to need a bigger house.

WhyFi 01-10-22 11:49 AM

From the Department of Dumb Goals that are Never-the-Less Gratifying When Achieved: after a few earnest attempts, I finally did the Alpe du Zwift in under 55min. :bday: Quite a bit under, too - 53:30! My previous PR was 55:25.

Velo Vol 01-10-22 11:52 AM

datlas

genejockey 01-10-22 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22368349)
That's enough to do 50 more bikes! You are definitely going to need a bigger house.

HA! Honestly, I got tired of looking for them every time I need one. It's not always new bikes - I just put a shorter stem on the Ritchey, and now the cables housings are all too long. But there's nothing wrong with the cables. I want to be able to pull the cables out, cut the housings, then push the cables back through and re- clamp. THEN cut the cables and put on new crimps.

genejockey 01-10-22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22368237)
Oi vey!

Looks like tear down and rebuild time. After all, you'll be dead soon anyway.

I'd watch those guys on that "scaffolding." Doesn't meet OSHA requirements, and fall protection is required for anything higher than 6'. You don't want to be sued when someone falls.

Yeah, that's reminiscent of what my brother, who used to work for Hawaii's version of OSHA (HIOSH), would tell me he'd seen. Also that contractors tend to scoff at the need for fall protection. Then they fall.

indyfabz 01-10-22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22368171)
You didn't catch her??

I had caught her that summer, although it's probably more accurate to say she had caught me. One of the best summers of my life. I was taking a gap year and working 9-5 at an easy law firm job in the accounting department. She had the weekends off. I gave her a key to my place so she could come over on Fridays. She did not have to be back at her employers' place until Sunday night. We were both pretty much broke but still had a lot of fun hanging in the park with a large crew playing volley ball and drinking beer after I had done my morning rides around MLK and Kelly Drives.

But then she went home to Gothenberg and I went off to law school. I harbored this stupid fantasy that we would see each other a couple of times a year and then she would move here when I was done with school.

I found her on Facebook many years ago. She's married and has an autistic child.

LAJ 01-10-22 12:13 PM

Wordle

You'll like me later. Or not.

indyfabz 01-10-22 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22368170)
Always considered that a worthwhile endeavor.

That's what I want when I'm old and can't change my diaper by myself.

She was gorgeous, but when I got to Sweden I realized that she was only slightly above average by Swedish standards. :)

Velo Vol 01-10-22 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22368428)
Wordle

No.

datlas 01-10-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22368389)

Yes? I had to quote this to see the link. Sad. And the link does not exist.

Could you give me the executive summary please??

WhyFi 01-10-22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368429)
She was gorgeous, but when I got to Sweden I realized that she was only slightly above average by Swedish standards. :)

Did you meet her in Lake Woebegone on one of your cross-country bike packing trips? :D

Bah Humbug 01-10-22 12:30 PM

Nice walk this morning.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8d766e4506.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c2843fbc3b.jpg

indyfabz 01-10-22 12:32 PM

On the subject of my romantic woes...

Finally got up the nerve this afternoon to ask out the produce market girl. I thought there was a chance. We had have been chatting briefly about food when I shopped there. Then around New Years I did a look-back after paying and walking away and caught her doing a look-back at me.

Alas, she told me she has a "partner." Probably for the best as it appears there is a large age gap between us. Hard to tell if she's early 30s and looks older or early 40s and looks younger, or something in between. Still, she seems really cool so I decided that I would be a fool if there was a possibility and I let it slip away through inaction. She was very nice about the whole thing, saying she would take my asking her out as a compliment.

WhyFi 01-10-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22368468)
Nice walk this morning.

^^^ Gotta tidy up your masking over the trunk a little ;)

Velo Vol 01-10-22 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22368441)
Yes? I had to quote this to see the link. Sad. And the link does not exist.

Could you give me the executive summary please??

Bummer, it got deleted.

Was a rip on dad jokes. Showed a spectator at a sporting event walking up and touching the back of a camera guy.

Why? Because he jacket said "PRESS" on the back.

WhyFi 01-10-22 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368472)
On the subject of my romantic woes...

Finally got up the nerve this afternoon to ask out the produce market girl. I thought there was a chance. We had have been chatting briefly about food when I shopped there. Then around New Years I did a look-back after paying and walking away and caught her doing a look-back at me.

Alas, she told me she has a "partner." Probably for the best as it appears there is a large age gap between us. Hard to tell if she's early 30s and looks older or early 40s and looks younger, or something in between. Still, she seems really cool so I decided that I would be a fool if there was a possibility and I let it slip away through inaction. She was very nice about the whole thing, saying she would take my asking her out as a compliment.

Kudos for takin' the shot.

indyfabz 01-10-22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22368461)
Did you meet her in Lake Woebegone on one of your cross-country bike packing trips? :D

No. I met her at the now-gone Murphy's Tavern at 44th & Spruce in Philly. She actually spoke to me first.

Let's not discuss the townie I met at the laundry mat in Isle, MN, on the shore of Mille Lacs, while riding across the country.

gnome 01-10-22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22368175)
Now we have discovered asbestos siding on half the house. It's too far gone to encapsulate and it's going to have to be remediated!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb373114f.jpeg

oof. just as well you brought all the boat swag last year. There goes the next few years boat swag. BTW, over here they would need scaffolding to work on the outside of your house. That long ladder wouldn't be legal. It adds even more $$ to repairs.

indyfabz 01-10-22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22368478)
Kudos for takin' the shot.

Thanks. I am shy when it comes to that sort of thing, and I had no asked anyone out in person (met people on line) in a long time. I feel somewhat bummed but also relieved.

datlas 01-10-22 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22368477)
Bummer, it got deleted.

Was a rip on dad jokes. Showed a spectator at a sporting event walking up and touching the back of a camera guy.

Why? Because he jacket said "PRESS" on the back.

I approve. Reminds me of the "Far Side" comic with the gifted school and kid pushing on the door that says "pull."