Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

big john 04-27-22 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22486869)
On the other side, my Dodge tells me when it wants its oil changed, which is supposedly based on use. Every time, it gets to about 10,000 miles. That's why I switched to synthetic.

My Trailblazer has that. It's an algorithm but it's pretty simple. The newer cars are more sophisticated and are supposed to be more accurate.

genejockey 04-27-22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22486876)
My Trailblazer has that. It's an algorithm but it's pretty simple. The newer cars are more sophisticated and are supposed to be more accurate.

I figure it gets to 10,000 without asking for an oil change because the engine is seriously underworked in most of my driving.

Bah Humbug 04-27-22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22486883)
I figure it gets to 10,000 without asking for an oil change because the engine is seriously underworked in most of my driving.

It's just a mile counter. If you want to know, you should have your oil tested at a few stages throughout the 10k and see what it's actually doing.

big john 04-27-22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22486897)
It's just a mile counter. If you want to know, you should have your oil tested at a few stages throughout the 10k and see what it's actually doing.

In the early days it was just mileage. Newer stuff is a complex algorithm. Inputs include mileage, rpm, engine load, etc.

Bah Humbug 04-27-22 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22486875)
big-time anxiety, mutated over the years to morbid conscientiousness and, of course, he's been very successful.

Sounds like me. Well maybe on the successful part.

Decided I'm going to have the un-fun conversation with my boss. As some of you know, I'm converted from QA, and my salary never got a real boost from that. I was ok with that, but this year I've been thrust into "owning" a risky and high-priority feature after two other people left and I had been adjacent to it. My new supervisor and I are doing a vendor meeting (virtually for me) the first few days that AG is at her new job. The next day is my 1x1 with my boss, where I'll tell her that if I'm going to be given the task and responsibility, I need the title (currently an Engineer II and have to babysit an Engineer III quite often just to help her submit code) and compensation. There are various things she may say, but I have responses, and that point is the inarguable one.

I am fed up and once AG is in her new role, will have very little at stake. And immediately after that meeting is going to be maximum leverage. What's she going to do, fire me? :roflmao:

And AG thinks this is an excellent idea.

Bah Humbug 04-27-22 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22486902)
In the early days it was just mileage. Newer stuff is a complex algorithm. Inputs include mileage, rpm, engine load, etc.

Interesting... but it still doesn't tell you what the actual state of the oil is, just what it thinks it should be.

WhyFi 04-27-22 05:13 PM

My son was feeling a little off, so he came home from school an hour early. He just puked all over the place, making it official - everyone under our roof is sick. Good times.

rjones28 04-27-22 05:16 PM

It's pretty windy here today. Benson doesn't mind.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e21c9be3e3.png

Bah Humbug 04-27-22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22486921)
My son was feeling a little off, so he came home from school an hour early. He just puked all over the place, making it official - everyone under our roof is sick. Good times.

Know yet what it is?

bampilot06 04-27-22 06:25 PM

what would be some good 32 mm tires for cycle cross, and what pedals and shoes? I don’t think a new bike will happen by then, so I will just use the C2. I can put mud guards on it so I guess I need help figuring that out too.

WhyFi 04-27-22 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22486960)
Know yet what it is?

Not COVID. My son is the only one that's puked, though, and has no throat or respiratory symptoms, so maybe he's got a different bug than the rest.

Bah Humbug 04-27-22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22486962)
what would be some good 32 mm tires for cycle cross, and what pedals and shoes? I don’t think a new bike will happen by then, so I will just use the C2. I can put mud guards on it so I guess I need help figuring that out too.

There was a time - you know, just over six months ago - when I was looking at the Michelin Jets for all-road type tires, and they're dedicated CX so 32c.

LesterOfPuppets 04-27-22 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22486876)

Hmm, wonder what triggers the minivans oil change light. I never paid much attention. In fact I just left the light on the whole time between the last oil change and the one before last. I just go by look, smell, alignment of the stars, etc. :)

DougRNS 04-27-22 07:09 PM

I'm just glad they recognized the Mighty Owls as the big dog in Georgia. #1 in your hearts and on the playing field.

rjones28 04-27-22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22486962)

CX tire choice can get complicated. But, for a beginner, start with a good all-rounder like one of these:

Grifo | Challenge Tires
Cyclocross | MXP - Tubeless Ready – Donnelly Cycling

Pedals

I use these - Eggbeater 3 – Crankbrothers
Many like Shimano MTB - PD-M540 (shimano.com)

Shoes

The mountain bike version of your favorite cycling shoe.

No mud guards in cyclocross racing.

Mojo31 04-27-22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22486869)
On the other side, my Dodge tells me when it wants its oil changed, which is supposedly based on use. Every time, it gets to about 10,000 miles. That's why I switched to synthetic.

Porsche’s interval is 10k or 1 year, and synthetic is required. The dealer I’ve used for the last four cars told me there is no need to change more frequently unless the car is tracked.

Velo Vol 04-27-22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22487015)
I'm just glad they recognized the Mighty Owls as the big dog in Georgia. #1 in your hearts and on the playing field.

No.

Velo Vol 04-27-22 07:51 PM

YouTube Find Of The Day

I am now an expert at mountain railroading, as I have long been on NCAA sports.

LesterOfPuppets 04-27-22 07:57 PM

Hmmm, wonder if it's time to buy Shimano stock. They're at their one year low, but not yet at 5 year low.

I haven't checked on average parts availability in a couple months.

LesterOfPuppets 04-27-22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22487069)
YouTube Find Of The Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IABM8UPplY

I am now an expert at mountain railroading, as I have long been on NCAA sports.

Saluda reminds me of Salida, CO. But also this:

Mojo31 04-27-22 08:00 PM

You should ask Indy for a job.

BillyD 04-27-22 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22486921)

Meh. Those scars will be well healed once they become teenagers. :lol:

BillyD 04-27-22 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22486791)
2007 Toyota Camry Engine Blew Up: 18 Complaints (carcomplaints.com)
2003 Toyota Camry Engine Died: 19 Complaints (carcomplaints.com)
Toyota Camry Blown Head Gasket → Symptoms, Causes, and Cost | Drivetrain Resource (700r4transmissionhq.com)
Toyota Camry Blown Head Gasket Problems (carproblemzoo.com)

They may have a reputation for durability and it may be deserved, but they are still machines which will fail when neglected. From what I hear, their reliability has suffered in the more recent models.
I actually had a Toyota. It was a bit of a P.O.S. and suffered more failures than I felt it should have. Not the worst car I've had but, meh.

My friend who runs an independent garage sends his Prius customers to a guy who does nothing but head gaskets or heads on Prius cars. He will even do it at the customer's house for extra $$.

I'll stick with GM cars, at least the ones I like. I understand them and can get help when I need it.

If somebody gifted me a brand new G.M. car I'd sell it immediately and buy me a Toyota. I've owned nothing but Toyotas primarily since 1977, and despite 21 years of commuting over 800 miles a week not a single one let me down prematurely. A Toyota with 100K miles isn't even broken in yet.

Velo Vol 04-27-22 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22487077)
I haven't checked on average parts availability in a couple months.

Where do you check?

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22487079)
You should ask Indy for a job.

I have thought it would be neat to cruise around on one of those vehicles that drives on the tracks. Got any occasional jobs in Knox and neighbouring counties?

LesterOfPuppets 04-27-22 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22487133)
Where do you check?

https://elite.shimano.com/US
https://www.jbi.bike/site/

etc