Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

nelsonmilum 02-22-15 10:26 PM

I'm not sure what "doinker" is... maybe a regional thing?

I haven't given the bike a solid ride of more than ten minutes at this point... I'm not a confident winter rider by any stretch of the word.
I don't think I've changed the angle of the bars since bringing it home, just the height. It seems fine when I'm on it though.

PalmettoUpstate 02-22-15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17574683)
So excited that my NOS Sturmey Archer Sport headlight lens & chrome ring arrived, along with tail light lens & ring. Here they are:
NOS SA Lens & Ring by velocivixen, on Flickr
Replacement Lens & Chrome Ring by velocivixen, on Flickr
NOS SA Tail Light Lens & Ring by velocivixen, on Flickr
Replacement Sturmey Lens by velocivixen, on Flickr

Er... That bike is quickly turning into a work of [English 3 speed] art...

PalmettoUpstate 02-22-15 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by nelsonmilum (Post 17577120)
I'm not sure what "doinker" is... maybe a regional thing?

I haven't given the bike a solid ride of more than ten minutes at this point... I'm not a confident winter rider by any stretch of the word.
I don't think I've changed the angle of the bars since bringing it home, just the height. It seems fine when I'm on it though.

Well let us know how it goes riding them like that...

As an aside, we have a time down here in early Spring called "Canadian Week" at Myrtle Beach. It always amazed me that the Canucks would happily strip to their bathing suits and frolic in the 60 degree air and 70 degree water in March but... The last week has been the coldest here EVER in February and the second coldest I have ever experienced way down here near the Suwanee River... Yeah, almost 72 hours below freezing... Kinda suc*ed. Yesterday when it hit 47 it felt heavenly after that and almost convinced me that a "Polar Bear Plunge" was doable!

Anyway, that handlebar angle you now have has a very S. California look to it; flashy looking but not a bit practical or comfortable. If you're new to upright bars, as many are, let me know how you like them when you bring the stem up a bit and rake them back to an ergonomically appropriate position.

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 09:54 AM

With my reference above, I probably should have posted this link: Myrtle Beach Events: Calendar of Events, Festivals, Concerts

While Myrtle Beach is indeed quite possibly the US Atlantic coast's premier beach, it is becoming very crowded. A very much better option for winter blues refugees from up North is to stay at a motel in Mt. Pleasant and make a day trip - if a very nice day, weather-wise, presents itself, to Huntington Beach State Park/Brookgreen Gardens, which I consider, along with Charleston, SC, to be among the very best North American vacation spots. Others agree: Exciting News - Charlestonly

Huntington Beach is like Myrtle Beach used to be and it cannot and will not be "developed" and that is indeed a great "development" - LOL!

PS- Yes, this is a plug for the Grand Strand & Charleston sorta... You see, I like to see people with class visit the Palmetto State and generally speaking, the fact that you are reading this thread, and enthused by these marvelous machines, sez there's a high probability that you have it... [Class]

noglider 02-23-15 10:13 AM

Urban Dictionary: doinker

Velocivixen 02-23-15 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17577149)
Er... That bike is quickly turning into a work of [English 3 speed] art...

Definitely not a work of art. But at the bid price I bought them for it was a deal. Still waiting for the Col de las Vie tire I ordered. I ordered from the least expensive seller on Amazon. Although I bought the tire for cheap, it's been 10 days and no tracking provided. I won't do that soon just to save a few $.

Never heard of the term "doinker".

Narhay 02-23-15 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17577953)

Ha ha ha.

noglider 02-23-15 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17578267)
Never heard of the term "doinker".

Neither had I.

Did you order from Niagara? They're terribly slow. But it will get there. And if there are problems with your order, they will do the right thing.

Velocivixen 02-23-15 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17578364)
Neither had I.

Did you order from Niagara? They're terribly slow. But it will get there. And if there are problems with your order, they will do the right thing.

The Amazon seller is the "Cycling Pros" in Wheaton, IL. Maybe the snow or bad weather has something to do with it. I bought the tire for around $17, which is a deal, but no tracking provided and not here yet. I would have rather paid more and gotten it sooner. Oh well.

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17577953)

Ha-Ha, never had heard that. I picked the word up from my younger brother and assumed he had picked it up from the local vernacular around Vail/Denver CO. where he lived for quite a while. We use it primarily as a derisive adjective for something frumpy, nerdy, ungainly etc. and somewhat as a noun meaning something that is all of the aforementioned. [Think Yugo or Gremlin in automobiles; or, more recently, a Pontiac Aztek]

In this case specifically, it has always annoyed me when I see almost all of the non-racing type bikes, IOW the cruisers, with their handlebars set that way because I assume people consider that cant to be stylish. So I always wonder how much of a doinker they must look like riding such a thing....

[and I really, REALLY hate to see the classic old lightweight 3-speed bikes presented in that doinkeresque pose]

No offense intended to you nelsonmilum whatsoever as it appears these bikes are a new thing to you - LOL.

Now that this has come up, I'll ask my brother where he picked it up originally when I see him this week and report back here...

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17578364)
Neither had I.

Second that.

forestine 02-23-15 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17578505)
Ha-Ha, never had heard that. I picked the word up from my younger brother and assumed he had picked it up from the local vernacular around Vail/Denver CO. where he lived for quite a while. We use it primarily as a derisive adjective for something frumpy, nerdy, ungainly etc. and somewhat as a noun meaning something that is all of the aforementioned. [Think Yugo or Gremlin in automobiles; or, more recently, a Pontiac Aztek]

In this case specifically, it has always annoyed me when I see almost all of the non-racing type bikes, IOW the cruisers, with their handlebars set that way because I assume people consider that cant to be stylish. So I always wonder how much of a doinker they must look like riding such a thing....

[and I really, REALLY hate to see the classic old lightweight 3-speed bikes presented in that doinkeresque pose]

No offense intended to you nelsonmilum whatsoever as it appears these bikes are a new thing to you - LOL.

Now that this has come up, I'll ask my brother where he picked it up originally when I see him this week and report back here...

Wow, those are some Strong Opinions about handlebar angles, but as far as doinkers go, describing @nelsonmilum and I as an ungainly nerd and a short, chubby, oddly dressed girl who may or may not own a bee suit wouldn't be that far off the mark.

Salubrious 02-23-15 03:04 PM

^^ I used to ride my bikes with the handlebars at those angles, I kept tilting them so that the ends were closer to the ground. They got more and more comfortable... I've got to the point that I think that Rivendale dude might be on to something after all.

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by forestine (Post 17578905)
Wow, those are some Strong Opinions about handlebar angles, but as far as doinkers go, describing @nelsonmilum and I as an ungainly nerd and a short, chubby, oddly dressed girl who may or may not own a bee suit wouldn't be that far off the mark.

Ha-Ha, self effacement will get you nowhere around here. BTW, I did leave a conspicuous absence in my short list of "doinker" automobiles. That would be the "Smart" car....

michaelz28 02-23-15 08:21 PM

finally a month later , a proper stand .. the 45 dollar one went back as the seller wanted 10 bucks for the tip cover also ( and i thought it was lost as it took 3 week ) .. went to Zeus site and 14 bucks shipped it was here in 2 days . the 45 dollar one sat at a post office for 3 weeks before it moved . anyway .. id like to service this bike as something feels a little " dry ". I'm going to get some tires and when the rims come off ill dig a little deeper . i see many tutorials on the hub . how bad is the crank service . i want to assume that this bike will not need parts unless i break something with its originality.... i guess im looking at fall ...http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psrtl2lefh.jpg

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17579806)
finally a month later , a proper stand .. the 45 dollar one went back as the seller wanted 10 bucks for the tip cover also ( and i thought it was lost as it took 3 week ) .. went to Zeus site and 14 bucks shipped it was here in 2 days . the 45 dollar one sat at a post office for 3 weeks before it moved . anyway .. id like to service this bike as something feels a little " dry ". I'm going to get some tires and when the rims come off ill dig a little deeper . i see many tutorials on the hub . how bad is the crank service . i want to assume that this bike will not need parts unless i break something with its originality.... i guess im looking at fall ...

Couple of things to consider... If that B72 saddle is dry rotted you can kiss it goodbye - unless you want to stretch another skin onto it - something discussed somewhat earlier in this thread. Your rear reflector may not be original; looks to be the right size but it has a metallic look in the photo above. Those skinwall tires are probably original; IMO best replaced with Kenda K40 skinwalls - cheap and good! I like to cut a couple of rectangular gaskets out of old inner tubes and use them when I mount my new Pletscher kickstands from Thor Inc. Gives the stand a nice "snik" sound when retracted; kinda like shutting the door on a German car... Anyway, you have a fine, tall Raleigh Sports there and you'll love it. [BTW, did the Romans incorporate Thor as Zeus or was it the Greeks or did Apollo do it? By Jupiter I can't remember!]

Peugeotlover 02-23-15 09:20 PM

Just apply some Brooks Proofide to restore any old Brooks saddle.

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17579989)
Just apply some Brooks Proofide to restore any old Brooks saddle.

I vehemently disagree. Been there; done that. Doesn't work once a certain point has been reached there's no Lazarus treatment that will work.

michaelz28 02-23-15 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17579926)
Couple of things to consider... If that B72 saddle is dry rotted you can kiss it goodbye - unless you want to stretch another skin onto it - something discussed somewhat earlier in this thread. Your rear reflector may not be original; looks to be the right size but it has a metallic look in the photo above. Those skinwall tires are probably original; IMO best replaced with Kenda K40 skinwalls - cheap and good! I like to cut a couple of rectangular gaskets out of old inner tubes and use them when I mount my new Pletscher kickstands from Thor Inc. Gives the stand a nice "snik" sound when retracted; kinda like shutting the door on a German car... Anyway, you have a fine, tall Raleigh Sports there and you'll love it. [BTW, did the Romans incorporate Thor as Zeus or was it the Greeks or did Apollo do it? By Jupiter I can't remember!]

brooks saddle is fine the reflector is a sturmy archer ..http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=435885http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psfyb0edqj.jpghttp://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps7oblcthn.jpg

Salubrious 02-23-15 10:27 PM

^^ that tire is shot!

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17580114)
brooks saddle is fine the reflector is a sturmy archer ..

I think that saddle will be serviceable for a while. Interesting that the body of that reflector is black, I have several Raleighs of that approximate vintage and while they have the bigger round reflector like yours [that preceded the "coffin" reflectors] all have a white rubber housing. There are a few here on this thread who may be able to interpret such arcana as black vs. white in those years...

BTW, is that a 1st Gen F Body in the background in the photo of the Brooks saddle?

michaelz28 02-23-15 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17580154)
^^ that tire is shot!

well it is 41 years old ..

michaelz28 02-23-15 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17580177)
I think that saddle will be serviceable for a while. Interesting that the body of that reflector is black, I have several Raleighs of that approximate vintage and while they have the bigger round reflector like yours [that preceded the "coffin" reflectors] all have a white rubber housing. There are a few here on this thread who may be able to interpret such arcana as black vs. white in those years...

BTW, is that a 1st Gen F Body in the background in the photo of the Brooks saddle?

second gen . 73 RS /Z28 http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psbbf5895c.jpg

PalmettoUpstate 02-23-15 11:00 PM

White vinyl top?

michaelz28 02-23-15 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=435893