Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   which one would you pick? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238166)

newtotheworld 09-05-21 06:55 PM

which one would you pick?

I'm looking at getting one of these two bikes; trek 1500 slr road bike (red) and men's large stats cycle black label fixie road bike. Which one would you guys consider and why. I'm new to long distance riding, mainly road biking. thanks

veganbikes 09-05-21 07:41 PM

Probably neither or both or one of the two? Honestly you have given us very little info. I would pick a new bike with quality components that fits you and your planned riding. If you are going used make sure you know exactly what you are getting into and don't overpay for junk and also know there is ZERO WARRANTY and ZERO SUPPORT for that bike. That might not be a bad for you but it is something to consider as a new rider. A fixed gear is different from a geared road bike and in the end both bikes you listed might not be the right one. Neither may fit you and both could be in rough shape or not.

genejockey 09-05-21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by newtotheworld (Post 22216758)
I'm looking at getting one of these two bikes; trek 1500 slr road bike (red) and men's large stats cycle black label fixie road bike. Which one would you guys consider and why. I'm new to long distance riding, mainly road biking. thanks

Where I live, a fixie makes no sense, so I'd go for the geared bike. Today's 46 mile ride, for example, didn't include any big climbs but it was still 2600 feet of climbing. OTOH, my sister lives in Florida and there's not really any reason for her to have more than one gear.

mstateglfr 09-05-21 07:48 PM

So a 15ish year old road bike or a new fixie.

It would be tough to think up two drop bar bikes that are more different.
I'll say get the Trek simply because you mention distance ride g and it actually has gears.

But I'll first suggest you figure out what type of bike you want(one with gears or one without).

tempocyclist 09-05-21 10:42 PM

Definitely not the fixie.

Chuck M 09-05-21 10:49 PM

My suggestion to you is do more research than simply asking about two very different bikes on an Internet forum for bicycles. I'd visit a bike shop with the hopes that they have at least something in stock to show you how different bikes are equipped and what their uses are.

cyclist2000 09-05-21 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by tempocyclist (Post 22217026)
Definitely not the fixie.

agreed

PeteHski 09-06-21 03:28 AM

Quality BF thread. Buy the Trek. Gears are really useful.

livedarklions 09-06-21 05:43 AM

If it's me and I have no other info, the Trek, but that's because I know where and how I want to ride. The fixie would be fun for riding around town, but I want gears because I hit hills as soon as I leave the city in pretty much every direction so I want gears.

The Trek could be a nice bike, but I'd need more info to have an opinion on it.

Maelochs 09-06-21 08:16 AM

Get the cheapest bike you can and ride it as much as you can. Then you will have some real information to use when making a more serious decision about any aspect of cycling.

Your question is almost, "When it comes to music, is brown better than green?"

Retro Grouch 09-06-21 02:52 PM

"Fixie" or "single speed". There's a difference.

Riding a fixed gear bike is a commitment.