Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   We got a present for you. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1231817)

Siu Blue Wind 06-02-21 05:40 PM

We got a present for you.

https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...s-7-8-9-speed/

Thank you @Wildwood for the suggestion.

malcala622 06-02-21 05:51 PM

Was this meant to be a PM?

tricky 06-02-21 06:01 PM

Strange twist. I personally don't like it. Lots of those bikes are solidly in the vintage category.

gaucho777 06-02-21 06:05 PM

@Siu Blue Wind Heads-ups: I notice this new thread is not listed in correct alphabetic order on the main page with the other sub-forums. On my computer, it falls after "Electric, Lighting, and Gadgets" instead of between the "Cyclocross" and "Electric Bikes" sub-forums.

Okay I'll have it fixed later. We were in a rush. It's been crazy. Sorry.

BFisher 06-02-21 06:27 PM

So, is this the new place for C&V resto-mods as in the Retro Roadies thread?

machinist42 06-02-21 06:29 PM

Geeks Baring Grifts?

Present?

Seems more like the passed to me.

Siu Blue Wind 06-02-21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by machinist42 (Post 22085641)
Present?

Seems more like the passed to me.

:lol:

3alarmer 06-02-21 06:50 PM

...there's one guy who takes offense at the term "brifters". I forget who, but expect to hear from him. :)

cudak888 06-02-21 06:53 PM

The thought is appreciated...but it feels as if it divorces a lot of the not-so-C&V-but-welcome-in-C&V bikes that most of us do own, and the tail end of the classic lugged era with early Campagnolo Ergo and whatnot.

I'm really surprised that there was a greater demand for a separate brifter-era forum than a dedicated For Trade subforum.

-Kurt

krakhaus 06-02-21 07:07 PM

I just assumed everything that's at least 20 years old, just belongs in C&V. I'm riding a late 80's Mondonico with 10 speed Ultegra. Where does that fit in? I guess I need my own forum.

Siu Blue Wind 06-02-21 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by malcala622 (Post 22085605)
Was this meant to be a PM?

No, its me telling you guys we have a new forum and it was a suggestion by Wildwood.

rhm 06-02-21 07:10 PM

Thanks, uh, you shouldn't've?

Siu Blue Wind 06-02-21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by tricky (Post 22085609)
Strange twist. I personally don't like it. Lots of those bikes are solidly in the vintage category.

Okay so do you feel we should get rid of it? We only had it live for an hour.

Siu Blue Wind 06-02-21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 22085679)
Thanks, uh, you shouldn't've?

That's pretty much the message I'm getting. lol

But then others wanted it.

Darned if I do, darned if I don't.

It wasn't easy to do guys. I'm trying.

rhm 06-02-21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 22085682)

Oh, sorry! I actually posted that before I saw your message from a half minute earlier, so my remark was really just out-of-contest snarkiness.

That said, I think of C&V as the place where stuff gets discussed after the rest of the forums have moved on. I mean... 26" MTB wheels are a thing of the past in the MTB forum, but we still have them in C&V. At the risk of a plumbing analogy, I prefer to think of C&V as a melting pot, not a cesspool. Once something is C&V, there is no further segregation. At least, that's how I think of it. But you know, your call....

jamesdak 06-02-21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22085665)
The thought is appreciated...but it feels as if it divorces a lot of the not-so-C&V-but-welcome-in-C&V bikes that most of us do own, and the tail end of the classic lugged era with early Campagnolo Ergo and whatnot.

I'm really surprised that there was a greater demand for a separate brifter-era forum than a dedicated For Trade subforum.

-Kurt

My feelings exactly!

jamesdak 06-02-21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 22085680)

Yes! There's so much silliness and bickering in every other sub forum I visit here. C & V seems like the only adult place quite often.

merziac 06-02-21 07:41 PM

:twitchy:

nlerner 06-02-21 07:43 PM

I think the 6-speed brifter crowd will feel left out.

Siu Blue Wind 06-02-21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 22085700)
Oh, sorry! I actually posted that before I saw your message from a half minute earlier, so my remark was really just out-of-contest snarkiness.

That said, I think of C&V as the place where stuff gets discussed after the rest of the forums have moved on. I mean... 26" MTB wheels are a thing of the past in the MTB forum, but we still have them in C&V. At the risk of a plumbing analogy, I prefer to think of C&V as a melting pot, not a cesspool. Once something is C&V, there is no further segregation. At least, that's how I think of it. But you know, your call....

No worries.

It's just that 7/8/9s not always are classic and vintage yet not new enough to be in road and so there was a middle ground. People can post where they want but some might just be interested in those bikes and it just makes it easier for them to find rather than search through road, c and v and general. Kind of like how all the medical threads were in 50+., It was soooo filled with medical issues that it was hard to find cycling content. We made a separate one for those as well. It took a while but it's getting good traffic.

Siu Blue Wind 06-02-21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 22085713)
Yes! There's so much silliness and bickering in every other sub forum I visit here. C & V seems like the only adult place quite often.

Yes and that is why P and R was closed.

tricky 06-02-21 08:12 PM

I was a little too dry in my comment, sorry about that. I shouldn't make drive-by comments in between meetings at work! To be clear, I understand where the thought is coming from and I absolutely appreciate mods and all the work you put in. I see the reasoning behind this, but I am in the camp of getting rid of it.

machinist42 06-02-21 08:20 PM

<sarcasm emoji>

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 22085749)
No worries.

It's just that 7/8/9s not always are classic and vintage yet not new enough to be in road and so there was a middle ground. People can post where they want but some might just be interested in those bikes and it just makes it easier for them to find rather than search through road, c and v and general. Kind of like how all the medical threads were in 50+., It was soooo filled with medical issues that it was hard to find cycling content. We made a separate one for those as well. It took a while but it's getting good traffic.

Wait now, what???
"Search" works now???
When did that happen?
(This is what I get for tuning into the present and discovering things happened in the past.)

I've Ergos and Sachs and 1st Generation Shimano brifters on bikes from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I've downtube shifters on my 90s.
I am so confused.

<sigh emoji>

3alarmer 06-02-21 08:22 PM

...I have no feelings one way or the other. I try to remain flexible.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 22085682)

...for every person thrilled by a change, there will be another aghast at it. I had guessed you knew this already ?

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 22085749)
No worries.

...how about a separate sub forum for people over 50, with medical issues, who are forced to use brifters on their old road bikes as a remedy ? I'm just spitballin' here. :innocent:

3alarmer 06-02-21 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by machinist42 (Post 22085764)
Wait now, what???
"Search" works now???
When did that happen?

...search has always worked here, if you subcontract your forum search out to Google. I think they might offshore the work, though. :(