Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hirame Pump Head (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1243884)

blinky 12-18-21 02:42 PM

Hirame Pump Head

Just watched a brief video demonstrating this pump head - my takeaway was nearly no air loss at the point of disengagement with the valve but also there's minimal push down when attaching and then using the red nut and quick release type lever - is that enough justification to entice you to cut the head off an otherwise good pump and replace it with Hirame ?

What say you all ??

HillRider 12-18-21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 22344314)
Just watched a brief video demonstrating this pump head - my takeaway was nearly no air loss at the point of disengagement with the valve but also there's minimal push down when attaching and then using the red nut and quick release type lever - is that enough justification to entice you to cut the head off an otherwise good pump and replace it with Hirame ?

As we discussed in another thread here, it was certainly enough justification to replace the OEM head on a Park PFP-4 pump with the Hirame. I did it 11 years ago and have never regretted the change. The Hirame is extremely durable and reliable and there is zero air loss from the tire when removing the head from the valve.

Andrew R Stewart 12-18-21 04:23 PM

I'm all for having a head you enjoy, working with that is. Andy (who likes the Topeak replacement head options)

2_i 12-18-21 05:17 PM

I use pneumatic couplers and swap the heads faster than I can type this.

Racing Dan 12-19-21 04:40 AM

You should just get it if you want it, but Id argue 99% of the perceived air loss when disengaging a normal pump head is from the hose, not the valve, - unless of course its a particularly inept design.

blinky 12-19-21 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2_i (Post 22344435)
I use pneumatic couplers and swap the heads faster than I can type this.

Sounds like you work on your bikes in an auto repair shop .

easyupbug 12-19-21 07:30 AM

↑↑↑ What Racing Dan said.

2_i 12-19-21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 22344794)
Sounds like you work on your bikes in an auto repair shop .

Well, you look at the availability of suitable parts no matter what their original purpose was. Another place where you could source pneumatic couplers for tube sizes of interest were dental instrument suppliers :D.

mpetry912 12-19-21 10:47 AM

Silca also makes a very similar lever action chuck which is excellent and similar priced.

HIRO Side-Lever Locking Presta Chuck- Carbon Steel – SILCA

blinky 12-19-21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2_i (Post 22344969)
Well, you look at the availability of suitable parts no matter what their original purpose was. Another place where you could source pneumatic couplers for tube sizes of interest were dental instrument suppliers :D.

Yes, very true , well said !

HillRider 12-19-21 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 22344986)
Silca also makes a very similar lever action chuck which is excellent and similar priced.

AFAIK, it's exactly the same mechanism as the Hirame head with Silca's name. The only difference I can see is the Silca attaches to a Schrader tire chuck while the Hirame attaches directly to the pump hose via a hose barb. Unless you are switching between Schrader and Presta valves routinely, the Hirame has a better connection.

blinky 12-19-21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 22344986)

Have an older model Specialized floor pump which requires alot of effort to push the gauge to 100psi - looking for new pump - the Silca website shows some nice looking floor pumps which might be a good replacement with their existing chucks - and if not it would probably be easy to swap with their Hiro .

mpetry912 12-19-21 01:26 PM

It's not exactly the same mechanism. The silca is similar to the Hirame - I have both on different pumps.

they both work about the same, which is really positive engagement and disconnect.

yes, the Silca does thread onto to a hose barb, where the hirame goes directly into the hose and secures with a clamp.

However - the replaceable rubber collar for the Hirame is real hard to get, and that is a wear part. I got 3 when I was last in Japan and they wear at the rate of 1 every couple years.

the Silca collar is readily available from Silca.

I'd say it a tossup, I'd give a slight preference to the Silca.

/markp

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...89bf3f9327.jpg

blinky 12-19-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22345121)
AFAIK, it's exactly the same mechanism as the Hirame head with Silca's name. The only difference I can see is the Silca attaches to a Schrader tire chuck while the Hirame attaches directly to the pump hose via a hose barb. Unless you are switching between Schrader and Presta valves routinely, the Hirame has a better connection.

Thanks again HillRider , sounds like you have a good pump with formerly a crummy head - my situation is different , it's a strain to achieve 100psi so rather than rebuild the pump I'm thinking of getting a new one - Topeak has a good selection but the Silca pumps look great and probably come with a good head since they also carry the Hiro as an option - my valves will always be Presta .

HillRider 12-19-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 22345170)
It's not exactly the same mechanism. The silca is similar to the Hirame - I have both on different pumps.

they both work about the same, which is really positive engagement and disconnect.

yes, the Silca does thread onto to a hose barb, where the hirame goes directly into the hose and secures with a clamp.

However - the replaceable rubber collar for the Hirame is real hard to get, and that is a wear part. I got 3 when I was last in Japan and they wear at the rate of 1 every couple years.

I use my Hirame every day and I'm on my second gasket in 11 years. I have two spares still in my parts box. Replacement gaskets are available domestically. Here is a source a 3 for $11:

https://www.tracksupermarket.com/sta...s-3x-pack.html

2_i 12-19-21 02:49 PM

So here is the Hirame head/Zefal Christmas tree. I kept the Schrader Zefal head too as it was reasonable. Happy Season's Greetings! :winter2:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ff950ed63d.jpg

mpetry912 12-19-21 03:32 PM

what's hooked up to what there ? I see hoses, pump ends etc. Wait, I get it, that's a setup for pumping up both tires at the same time

very clever !

/markp

blinky 12-19-21 05:28 PM

The Zefal frame pump was common years ago , probably Silca as well - looks like Silca has a strong web sales presence today but not so much with Zefal .

2_i 12-19-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 22345411)
The Zefal frame pump was common years ago , probably Silca as well - looks like Silca has a strong web sales presence today but not so much with Zefal .

The particular floor pump was actually manufactured by SKS for Zefal and it is present in the market as Rennkompressor.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f4acb1dc82.png

BCDrums 12-19-21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 22345170)

I bought a Hirame chuck and the Silca copy to compare. <cough cough> Oh, excuse me for being so bold!

Both are great, I prefer the Hirame, but only by a fraction. I bought three rubber washers when I got the Hirame, I expect them to outlast the user. As I said in the other recent thread, I wish I'd bought one twenty years ago.

Further, to me, the chuck is what makes the pump. A great chuck will make any pump a pleasure to use, but a chuck that is a chore to use will make any pump seem mediocre.

Good luck.

easyupbug 12-20-21 07:53 AM

I have found an infrequent tiny application of o-ring lube has made my Hirame gasket everlasting.

L134 12-20-21 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 22345192)
Thanks again HillRider , sounds like you have a good pump with formerly a crummy head - my situation is different , it's a strain to achieve 100psi so rather than rebuild the pump I'm thinking of getting a new one - Topeak has a good selection but the Silca pumps look great and probably come with a good head since they also carry the Hiro as an option - my valves will always be Presta .

I have a Silca Pista floor pump (I purchased because it is not a throw away item) with the Hiro head replacing the stock head. I love the Hiro head. One thing I like very much is that it swivels. From the photos, it looks to me like maybe the Hirame does not swivel? The pump itself is nice but my complaints are: 1. the Pista only has one foot and tips over very easily (annoying), 2. it is relatively low volume so takes a good number of strokes, 3. the gauge is hard to read because it is small, low, and the black on red for psi doesn't do it for me. That said, no regrets.

BCDrums 12-20-21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by L134 (Post 22346162)
I have a Silca Pista floor pump ... The pump itself is nice but my complaints are: 1. the Pista only has one foot and tips over very easily (annoying),

Yes!

2. it is relatively low volume so takes a good number of strokes,
Yes!

3. the gauge is hard to read because it is small, low, and the black on red for psi doesn't do it for me. That said, no regrets.
You can replace the hard-to-read Silca gauge with any 1/8 NPS gauge, like a black-on-white Winter Gauge from Amazon in your choice of capacity.

Clank!

Excuse me, my Silca is calling...