Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   People Watching At The Beach (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1209325)

berner 08-04-20 08:16 AM

People Watching At The Beach

I've not been doing long rides this year due to health issues. My cycling consists of rides to the town beach here in Bristol where I indulge in reading a book and people watching. I am surprised that some people planning to enjoy a relaxing day by the water with their kids and families come loaded down with a variety of amenities and implements, sometimes requiring two trips to their car to haul everything down by the water. I've actually seen one family wheel down an industrial sized grill of the type you would need in feeding a Roman Legion.

People watching also consists of seeing the lovely and shapely females in their nearly not there bikinis. I hold that those "garmets" cover less skin than my face mask. No complaints, mind you. I believe in freedom of expression.

Iride01 08-04-20 08:51 AM

I advise against reading a book while cycling. <grin>

pdlamb 08-04-20 12:38 PM

Hmm... Do you have a book with a clear plastic middle, like some masks I've seen, so you can maintain visual contact with those lovely bikinis while still looking like you're reading?

AdkMtnMonster 08-05-20 06:39 PM

This thread would be far less creepy if it wasn't in the fat old men's section. Just sayin.

jppe 08-05-20 08:13 PM

I just happen to be at a beach in NC. It is not that big of an island but cycle friendly. We were here Monday night staying on the oceanfront when the eye of Isaias came through. Wing gusts were in the 90 mph range and the house was shaking pretty good! No damage here but some flooding on the next two beaches north of us.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ec0ecb0af.jpeg
The evening before the storm rolled in.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1f8c4f38e.jpeg
This was a day before the storm came.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e7c1ca60.jpeg
The morning after, note some erosion of the dunes.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...65ba73ff4.jpeg
Our view the morning after the storm passed through around midnight.

canklecat 08-05-20 11:32 PM

I used to do a lot of "people watching" near the beaches when I was younger in Southern California 40 years ago. As I recall my attention was selectively focused only on certain people.

Nowadays I prefer riding where I see fewer people, particularly during the Super Cooties Apocalypse. The younger they are, the more likely they are to be asymptomatic carriers. I'll consider resuming "people watching" at the MUP if I survive the next year or so.

indyfabz 08-06-20 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 21625800)
This thread would be far less creepy if it wasn't in the fat old men's section. Just sayin.

I think it's the real reason why NY is now requiring people from RI to quarantine if they enter the state. :lol:

FiftySix 08-06-20 07:27 AM

:roflmao2:

Biker395 08-06-20 09:36 AM

I love people watching. Not just the bikinis, but everyone. I find myself looking at them, and wondering who they are and what they are about. If life has taught me nothing, it is that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I'm also a minimalist (or lazy) in my travels. I marvel and appreciate those who plan every trip, and pack up an RV with everything from a planned checklist ... it is as if they really revel in the notion that they planned everything perfect and have everything they need.

That's not me. I'd rather bring only what I need and rely on my wits and explore a little to get other stuff.

gthomson 08-06-20 06:37 PM

jppe Nice shots along the beach. Beautiful spot for a vacation. Is it good riding down around there?

I find when I'm riding and trying to do some people watching I always hit a pot hole or something and figure the good lord is reminding me to watch the roads and not the young ladies! ha ha

Speedway2 08-07-20 07:42 AM

I envy those of you who have an ocean within a short ride. Where I ride the ocean is made of concrete......

skidder 08-07-20 07:54 AM

The day a man stops admiring the young ladies (just admiring) he better be in the 'dirt nap' position. For me its more a situation of admiring the youth and recalling those days of my own youth with all the lovely young ladies all around me! ;)

rydabent 08-07-20 10:24 AM

That is what I like about riding a trike. It is a great destination ride, when you get there, you have your own comfortable seat to watch what ever.

John E 08-07-20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Speedway2 (Post 21627952)
I envy those of you who have an ocean within a short ride. Where I ride the ocean is made of concrete......

I am shamelessly spoiled. I live 1 km from the Pacific Ocean, and my work commute (when I do go in these days) comprises either an ocean-view bike ride or an ocean-view train or bus ride (gonctd.com).

berner 08-07-20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 21627970)
The day a man stops admiring the young ladies (just admiring) he better be in the 'dirt nap' position. For me its more a situation of admiring the youth and recalling those days of my own youth with all the lovely young ladies all around me! ;)

At 82 y.o. I may no longer have the energy but by golly, I have the memories.

GlennR 08-07-20 04:40 PM

When riding the MUP, do you slow down and "soft" pedal so your freewheel is silent when you come up on some ladies running in workout cloths?

If you answer yes, then you're a dirty old man.

scott967 08-07-20 08:31 PM

I live on an island surrounded by ocean. Also retired Navy so just about everywhere I've lived has been by the ocean, except Annapolis, but the Chesapeake Bay might be close enough. Best from a visual viewpoint was So Cal when I lived there the MUP South Bay path was restricted to bikes and roller blades -- no walkers/joggers. From Santa Monica down to Redondo Beach you could just fall in line behind a roller balder and enjoy.

scott s.

kgcabs 08-07-20 08:42 PM

did a bit of sight seeing today.....san diego area beaches

philbob57 08-07-20 09:48 PM

Are you a native Rhode Islander, berner? When i was a kid, we packed a lunch for a(n automobile) trip from Providence to Middletown. If we didn't eat it on the way, it never got eaten - hot dogs on the beach, fried clams on the way home. You gotta be prepared for anything when you leave your house.

Wileyrat 08-08-20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21628960)
When riding the MUP, do you slow down and "soft" pedal so your freewheel is silent when you come up on some ladies running in workout cloths?

Thanks for the tip, I never thought of that.

GlennR 08-08-20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 21630133)
Thanks for the tip, I never thought of that.

Glad to share ;)

Wildwood 08-08-20 03:17 PM

If on a MUT, I slow for all pedestrians, runners, etc. I don't make eye contact with.
I've been known to slow the pace when overtaking a slightly slower female cyclist. Not oogling, but TBDMN.

GlennR 08-08-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21630251)
If on a MUT, I slow for all pedestrians, runners, etc. I don't make eye contact with.
I've been known to slow the pace when overtaking a slightly slower female cyclist. Not oogling, but TBDMN.

Are you slowing because the path is not wide enough? Otherwise, just call out "on your left" and ride by.

by the way... what's TBDMN. I Googled it and only came up with Technology by Design

Wildwood 08-08-20 03:38 PM

____ ____ Drive Me Nuts.

Never in a hurry on a trail.
Never trust a pedestrian, their reaction time typically isn't conditioned for the speed of a bicycle.

berner 08-08-20 03:40 PM

Rats, I've been outed.