Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Can you solve this Bianchi puzzle??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1231475)

cslascro 05-28-21 08:56 AM

hh

Hh

shoota 05-28-21 08:58 AM

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

John E 05-29-21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 22079249)
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

... or, as we say in digital video, "A picture is worth a thousand words, but can require a million bytes of memory." :)

Bianchigirll 05-29-21 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by cslascro (Post 22079246)
Hey all. Thought I'd throw out a little puzzle for any of you Bianchi fans out there. I'm currently building up a frame I bought on eBay last year. It's a repainted Bianchi that was sold as a "Reparto Corse Team Bike", whatever that means. I think it's around late 90s. The serial number looks to be in the dropouts, but it's illegible due to the new paint. Theres a T55 stamp on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell. The downtube has that same fat shaped look as their Mega TI frames did (which eventually trickled to the aluminum frames.

So, can you put these clues together and come up with what you think it might be? (Just for fun, everybody.)

- Headtube fits a 1-inch threaded steerer
- A black fork came with the bike (1-inch threaded), but I don't know if it's original
- Fork appears to have not been repainted--still has a Bianchi decal on it. Decal says: AIR Foderi Reinforzati (Air hardened?)
- BB shell is 68mm English threaded
- Braze on front derailleur
- rim brake mounts, recessed nut mounts
- Shifter bosses on downtube
- 700C rims

I'm really stumped on this one. Sometimes I think it might be a Mega Lite, other times I think it's a Campione or Eros (but isn't Eros steel?). I'm yet to find a picture in an old Bianchi catalogue or anywhere on the internet that shows the combination listed above. Those shifter bosses really throw me. Weren't frame shifters long gone by the time they started doing those fat shaped down tubes?

Anyway, it's a fun build and will be a good bike for doing laps around the reservoir. R7000 group is going on it this weekend, and I got some sweet prices on 3T bars, stem, seatpost.

“Reparto Corse Team Bike” means lots of different things to different people. After around ‘96 the Reparto Corse label was more market gimmick than actual pro level bikes.

better pics will certainly help, especially of any decals. The tubing profile looks more like the Mega Pro tubing from the late ‘90s early 2000s. Bianchi changed to English BB threading in the early ‘90s

zandoval 05-30-21 10:01 AM

RATS... Got burned. I have purchased many, many items form Ebay and really only been burned a few times. Kinda like Harbor Freight, great tools but not always...

So now what?
If this is your only bicycle you still need to get one.
And if it is not... well its time for a ride so you can dry out those tears...

VicBC_Biker 05-30-21 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by zandoval (Post 22081345)
I have purchased many, many items from Ebay and really only been burned a few times.

Me, too.
Only a couple of real crooks/cheats in many many purchases.
But I'm not going to buy a Rolex watch on eBay either....
With a few problem items, it seemed that the seller actually didn't realize there was a defect.
Would it be worthwhile to repaint a frame to hide a crack?

Bianchigirll 05-30-21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by cslascro (Post 22081566)
Upon further reflection I’m just an idiot for thinking I could build a decent bike to be proud of for less than 5k. Now I’m spending this afternoon writing up ebay ads to dump all this crap I’ve accumulated for the build. I’m not about to throw another penny after a new frame or a new bike. Really hating this sport right now. Should’ve stuck with running.

I am sorry to hear your first go at building a vintage bike turned out so bad. However it is easy to build a decent bike for way less than 5k and even under 1k.

what parts do you have? If you just need a frame decent quality good riding frames are easy to come by for a few hundred dollars.

This was built 11 years ago but even with a NOS ‘86ish frame and lots of NOS and near NOS bits I still built it for under 1k.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...45cd418de.jpeg

BillyD 05-31-21 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by cslascro (Post 22081786)
I’ll put a link to my stuff for sale in the for sale forum when I get everything posted.

Be aware that you need a paid subscription to sell anything on these forums.

cslascro 05-31-21 12:10 PM

got It. Done here.