Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254661)

Caliwild 07-05-22 09:54 PM

Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset

Hey gang,

I'm looking for a new 2022 road bike that comes with the new R8100 Ultegra groupset. Ideally, I want the bike to clear 700x35 tires. So far, I've looked at the Cervelo Caledonia, Trek Domane, and Giant Defy. My LBS actually has the new Ultegra groupset in stock but I'm sure it would cost me a lot more to build up a bike. I was debating getting a titanium frame and building it up, but it's adding up quickly... Canyon as the Endurace too, which doesn't look too bad. Any other ideas would be appreciated... Thank in advance.

SkepticalOne 07-06-22 02:29 AM

The refreshed Trek Domane should be announced/released within the month. They should be hitting stores by late summer in case you can hold off.

Sy Reene 07-06-22 05:49 AM

If considering a Ti bike, I've always like the T-Lab options -- eg. R3 Omni for an all-road:
https://t-lab-bikes.com/en-us/bikes/r3-omni

DaveSSS 07-06-22 06:23 AM

If you want a lower price, something like this might work. Go to the G21 gravel frame.

www.yoeleobike.com

mstateglfr 07-06-22 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 22565106)
If you want a lower price, something like this might work. Go to the G21 gravel frame.

www.yoeleobike.com

Wow, this is the first generic/open mold/private label Chinese carbon frame I have seen that I would actually consider.
The geometry is nearly spot on with my current frame, which basically never happens since everything I have ever looked at up until now is far too small even in the largest size.

The 60mm frame has a stack of 650 and reach of 396. Little short on the reach, but manageable with a 10mm longer stem. The frame angles make sense(they arent super slack or anything goofy) and the mechanical trail is very reasonable for a road bike that will be ridden on gravel roads.
Now if it could just be purchased without any brand on the downtube since 'Yoeleo' is...well I really dont know what that is. The seafoam green and white(ice pink) option at least cammos the lettering pretty well.

Thanks for posting this!

DaveSSS 07-06-22 07:29 AM

The gravel frame is available in matte black with no lettering, but gloss colors with no lettering cost an extra $300 and longer wait time.

I've got a 47cm R12 road frame coming tomorrow. Delivery only took a week, assuming it arrives tomorrow by UPS, from Hong Kong. I'll put a mix of force axs with grx cranks, zipp 303s wheels.

Caliwild 07-06-22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne (Post 22565033)
The refreshed Trek Domane should be announced/released within the month. They should be hitting stores by late summer in case you can hold off.

Thanks for the heads up... I may wait for that... The new Cannondale Synapse looks good too, although I'm not too sure about all the integrated varia and lights. They'd be nice but what happens in the future when there is no parts availability?

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...e-carbon-2-rle

Caliwild 07-06-22 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22565084)
If considering a Ti bike, I've always like the T-Lab options -- eg. R3 Omni for an all-road:
https://t-lab-bikes.com/en-us/bikes/r3-omni

Funny, I actually looked at them last week. They look good and the prices are fair (at least compared to Moots), but I really didn't like the way the frame handles the rear axle/dropout.

SoSmellyAir 07-06-22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Caliwild (Post 22564965)
Hey gang,

I'm looking for a new 2022 road bike that comes with the new R8100 Ultegra groupset. Ideally, I want the bike to clear 700x35 tires. So far, I've looked at the Cervelo Caledonia, Trek Domane, and Giant Defy. My LBS actually has the new Ultegra groupset in stock but I'm sure it would cost me a lot more to build up a bike. I was debating getting a titanium frame and building it up, but it's adding up quickly... Canyon as the Endurace too, which doesn't look too bad. Any other ideas would be appreciated... Thank in advance.

This all road bike, Hakka MX - Ibis Cycles Inc., if you are willing to build it.

Canyon Endurace probably one of the most economical way to get R8100 groupset with a bike.

big john 07-06-22 08:32 PM

BMC Roadmachine.

texbiker 07-07-22 06:32 AM

Check out Lynskey titanium bikes. Recently they had a 35% off sale. I ride a Helix with SRAM Rival eTap.

Caliwild 07-07-22 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22566254)
BMC Roadmachine.

That looks like it might fit the bill... Or, I'm thinking of getting a Time ADHX frameset and building it up with the new Ultegra 12 speed....

big john 07-07-22 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Caliwild (Post 22566785)
That looks like it might fit the bill... Or, I'm thinking of getting a Time ADHX frameset and building it up with the new Ultegra 12 speed....

I like to look at geometry charts. I know what will fit and get me the position I want and the numbers vary from one bike to another. The BMC Roadmachine has the geometry I like and it's available in different builds and 2 different frame levels.

Frank72 07-07-22 11:05 AM

I just ordered a Ribble Endurance Disc sport. They said it would take until October 22 but had it ready to ship this month. Have not received it yet. Can't wait for my delivery next week!

Here's one with the groupset you want for $4000: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...ku=BBROADCD030

aliasfox 07-07-22 03:36 PM

I'm helping a buddy of mine price out a Fairlight Strael build at a local shop. It's apparently a very well regarded steel framed bike that can take (IIRC) 36mm tires.

The shop has listed the following:
- R8100 full kit $2500
- HED/DT Swiss Wheels $1k
- ENVE Cockpit $1k

I don't think he needs the ENVE cockpit, and the wheels are up for discussion, but I think if he goes with the Strael + R8100 that he'd have a pretty sweet bike.

bampilot06 07-08-22 07:52 AM

allied echo.

2 bikes in 1. thank me later.

SoSmellyAir 07-08-22 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22567828)
allied echo.

2 bikes in 1. thank me later.

An expensive bike sold by a company which somehow believes that repositioning either axle changes the bike's reach and stack numbers!? :eek:

ECHO Ultegra R8100 Di2 Complete Bike – Allied Cycle Works

bampilot06 07-08-22 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22567881)
An expensive bike sold by a company which somehow believes that repositioning either axle changes the bike's reach and stack numbers!? :eek:

Never read anything about changing reach or stack, but changes wheel base would affect handling.

Have a couple of friends that have these, and love ‘em. Def. on my list of bikes to own at some point.

SoSmellyAir 07-08-22 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22567899)
Never read anything about changing reach or stack, but changes wheel base would affect handling.

After looking more carefully at the flip chips, which are diagonal to the ground, if either is flipped, doing so slightly tilts the bike relative to the ground, thus slightly changing the reach and stack numbers.

mstateglfr 07-08-22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22567881)

Its a real thing- stack and reach numbers change. BB drop number will change too, along with HTA, STA, wheelbase, and more.

ETA- I see you looked into it and accept their math.

tomato coupe 07-08-22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Caliwild (Post 22564965)
Any other ideas would be appreciated...

There must be dozens of bikes that fit your criteria. Unless you narrow it down, everyone will just recommend what they ride.

SoSmellyAir 07-08-22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22568230)
Its a real thing- stack and reach numbers change. BB drop number will change too, along with HTA, STA, wheelbase, and more.

ETA- I see you looked into it and accept their math.

I did, after I realized that neither flip chip is parallel to (a) the other flip chip, (b) the ground, or (c) a perpendicular line to the ground, such that flipping a chip slightly tilts the bike which affects reach and stack.

If nothing else, I at least helped one online customer service person at Allied Bikes toward a more cogent explanation of how the flip chip affect reach and stack.

DaveSSS 07-08-22 01:54 PM

Reach and stack originate at the center of the BB. Nothing will change those numbers, since they do not reference the ground.

SoSmellyAir 07-08-22 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 22568268)
Reach and stack originate at the center of the BB. Nothing will change those numbers, since they do not reference the ground.

That was what I originally thought too, but after more coffee, I realized what I said above.

tomato coupe 07-08-22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 22568268)

Stack and reach implicitly reference the ground, as the ground is directly linked to the the direction of stack and reach measurements. If you rotate the frame around the bottom bracket (as the flip chips do), stack and reach change.